“Comfortable, but...”

Holiday Inn Express Greensboro-Wendover
Ranked #34 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Typically appointed king room with a microwave and mini-fridge. Bathroom is mighty small - sink, tub, and toilet all in one room. Flat screen TV with a good selection of channels. Comfy bed with soft and firm pillows. Linens, towels, and washcloths are good quality. No funky smells in the room or hallway. Good lighting in the parking lot. Average breakfast selection with a pancake maker and, holy mackerel, sausage patties - now, that was an unexpected treat! Wendover is major thoroughfare, so there's plenty of shops, eats, lodging on this side of town. Property is right off of I-40.

My only complaint really has nothing to do with the property, but the adjoining Hilton Garden Inn. Make sure you don't get a room with a window on the same side as the Hilton Garden Inn. Seems as if they play music in their pool area, with play being an understatement - blast is more like it. Even with the TV and the AC running, I could hear the boom, boom, boom of the bass. I asked the front desk about it and the clerk apparently called over there to inquire, but I don't think it did any good. It did eventually stop, but I was thoroughly irritated by then. Anyway, ask for a room by the CVS side, which is what I'll do the next time I book here. Hopefully it's quieter on that side.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the CVS side, it might be quieter on that side.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ms90

Reviewed September 16, 2011

After a not very happy experience in another place I have switched to HIE as I knew it would be clean, comfortable and everything else. And this is what it was. This time i got a 2 double beds room which was huge, with desk, chair, fridge and microwave. The bathroom was on the small side but perfect. As usual the staff have been really professional and helpful. My only problem, but this is not related to HIE in particular but to all hotel rooms, is that they are always soooo cold as the air con is kept too low for my likings, so as you step in is like stepping in a refrigerated room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AntonellinaUS
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have never smelled so much nicotine in my life. It's practically oozing from the walls. Made me literally sick and I am a smoker myself. No need to smoke here. No way to ventilate the rooms. There is an ice bucket in the hallway on 4 th floor because the roof leaks. Not typically what you would expect from HIE.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank thisonechick
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I am kicked back in my bed at this hotel right now. We needed a pet friendly room with a microwave and fridge and that is what we got. It's clean, modern, and quiet. The staff is fantastic (Thanks Chris at the front desk- he was so helpful and friendly!) I think they just got done with a remodel b/c the sign outside reads "Grand reopening" This place has been a breath of fresh air in our travels.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2011

stopped in this hotel on our drive home from Florida and was quite surprised at this gem. Upon check in we were provided with room keys (it was 2pm) The room was huge and not only had 2 queen beds but also a pull out sofa which could have slept 2, a spacious kitchen area with a table for 4 a fridge coffee pot and microwave, and a huge bathroom with many toiletries there already and a quick visit to the front desk gave us toothbrushes and extra supplies all for $110 for the night. There was a fitness room which looked like it had decent equipment and an indoor pool. the lady at the front desk gave us a list of things to do that were local since we were there so early in the day and gave us freshly baked hot cinnomin buns which were super delicious! Walked to the cracker barrel and went bowling with the locals. The next day, complimentary HOT breakfast. everything from waffles, pancakes, eggs, sausage biscuits & gravy to fruit yogurt cold cereal fresh juices and moreof those delicious hot buns. the breakfast was so delicious, the kitchen staff packed us a bag to go with so much goodies we actually made it home before all the yummies were eaten. nothing beats those cinnamin buns. i will def stop over at this hotel the next time i drive to florida. it was a pleasant experience, the hotel looked new or newly renovated. the beds were super comfortable. all around a very good hotel. not one complaint.

Room Tip: the rooms are so big and sleep 6 comfortably
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I was a little leary of this place with so many bad reviews. I honestly don't know why, our room was clean and looked to be recently remodeled, although it did have an old toilet that needed a new seat. My only other complaint would be the breakfast area is a little small. Everything else was great. The bathroom was well lit and had good water pressure in the shower. New 37" lcd TV in the room. Breakfast was fresh and well stocked. Good location, other hotels and restaurants next door, right off the freeway but not noisy. No evidence of bugs or stinky hallways/dirty carpet. Did receive a small goodie bag as a PC Platinum member (bottle of water and crackers).

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2010

On check-in, I'm a platinum member and usually I get a little goodie bag of a drink & snacks plus coupons for free drinks or meal, and a calendar that tells me what the weekly events are. Not here. I had to mention that I was a Priority Club Member, and then had to ask for my free water, and then for an extra for my husband. Clerk only gave me one room key so I had to go back downstairs and get another one for hubby when I discovered this. Typical room, but small TV. Air conditioner would turn on one speed - HUMID. The hallway outside the room was comfortable so it had to be the room's unit. There is no lounge but I heard at breakfast this morning that they did serve free beer last night (Tuesdays are typically Priority Club Member nights) but they didn't let me know about it although I arrived at 7PM in time for said free beer. Generic continental breakfast, although they did have hot scrambled eggs and sausage gravy. There was your normal juice, fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. Cinnamon buns were heated and were actually pretty good. Gas station right across the street and lots of restaurants nearby, some within a realistic walking distance. Just off of I-40 and easy to find.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business