“Older Property, No Wifi; Could use an update”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was a little lower quality than your typical Doubletree, I suspect to some extent it's probably not the busiest property in the Hilton portfolio. As a result, there is wifi Internet only in the Lobby, and wired in the rooms (MacBook Air owners beware!!), which for those of us working on tablets/smartphones etc, is a big issue; I never thought to ask, because it's been such a long time since I encountered a Hilton property with no WiFi in the rooms.

Otherwise this was a reasonable property, in a decent and clean state of repair, my only other critique would be about the breakfast buffet, which wasn't available due to the low number of guests at the property on this particular night, but there was no allowance taken for Gold members (breakfast included with the membership) unless the point was raised and pushed with the waitress, less vigilant may have found themselves with an extra breakfast charge on their room, despite the buffet being "inclusive".

In conclusion: WiFi access is needed in the guest rooms this is essential these days, to be treated as a useful property for connected business people on the road. If you're gonna change the breakfast setup, you should let everyone know the rules ahead of time or be prepared to make allowances; you can't move the goalposts half way through the game!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BluesGeek

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on business. I found it overall a good experience. The attendee for check in was polite and had me checked in quickly.

Room- The bed was comfortable, room was clean, updated, and large enough. The bathroom in great condition. The hair dryer was a bit old and didn't work well but nothing that warranted a complaint to the front desk or would make me not want to stay here again.

Fitness Room- One treadmill didn't work at all. The other did but made this loud squeaky sound like it was dying of old age. The free weights were great and the medicine balls came in handy. Overall the area was clean.

Pool- I did not use but did walk through the area. Clean and large enough.

Food- I did not eat anything here except the delicious cookie I always get when checking in. They do have a restaurant attached to the hotel though. I think J.R. Butler's was the name.
If you take a right out of the hotel, there is a Waffle House, Wendy's and McDonald's less than a mile on that road.

Parking- free and convenient

I would stay here again as long as the price stays reasonable with other like hotels in the area. If it would go up, I would consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was a very clean and nice place for myself and my grand babies. Room service ,someone always walking the halls checking if you need anything. Very sweet employee's. They had bar, restaurant open with room service. As everyone know children want Mac Donalds, we were there for my husband drill and for daughter dance rouge class. We all enjoyed the stay did'nt have time to use the pool or anything else. They looked very clean.

Room Tip: the one we had was great it was on 2nd floor and they also have smoking rooms but you can't smel...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Chocolate cookies upon arrival don't make up for this sub standard hotel. Despite the fact that they charged my credit card, weeks in advance and in full, upon arrival at 3:00 in the afternoon there were no rooms made up. I had to wait in an uncomfortable and aesthetically challenged lobby for an hour. The front desk personnel were more interested in making excuses than being good hosts.

The rates are obscenely high for the quality of the hotel.They charge luxury rates and deliver a low end product & service. Lobby is run down, elevators look like they are commonly used for freight. The room was average, no wifi, not enough towels in the bathroom, tub was slippery & did not drain. The restaurant was as depressing as the food was greasy. The location, without a car, was miserable. One would have to cross an exceedingly busy intersection if one wanted to visit any of the restaurants near by & I assure you none are gourmet.

I will probably make it a point never to stay at a Doubletree again. I have read some of the reviews that tell of similar experiences. I suggest that the responses from the Doubletree manager are double talk & meaningless. To sum up: Don't bother.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan D
DTManager, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay and we will be sure to correct all issues mentioned. We’ve addressed our staff in regards to your review and we will be sure to make the necessary corrections. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured, and if there is anything that we can do to rectify this situation please contact me directly. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have another chance to provide a great hospitality experience.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I cannot attest to the problems other reviewers had, but we did not encounter any problems during our stay.

Check-in was a breeze! We had a semi-complicated reservation (1 night booked free with HHonors points; 1 night, booked separately, to be paid for). The front desk staff made sure we would not be moved to a different room after the first night (since the reservations where technically separate). Additionally, we checked in WAYY early, and they had a room available on the 12th floor for us. Lucky us! Very thankful for the ready room because we were not expecting it. We were offered WARM cookies at check-in. Yum!!

The lobby is decorated nicely, and the elevators were easily accessible. There is plenty of parking, so no issues there. The hotel is located right off of I-40, so the highway is easily accessible. We also found we were no more than about 15 minutes from what we needed - including downtown Greensboro.

The room was very well-sized, clean, and decorated tastefully. There is plenty of room, even with the king size bed, desk with chair and sleeper sofa. There is free wired internet in the room - I don't get all bothered by the fact that there is no Wi-Fi like some other reviewers. Just so you know... internet is free, although it is wired - it was not a problem for us. The bed and pillows are all very comfortable.

J. Butler's restaurant was delicious, we ate there for lunch one of the day of our stay. The waiter was extremely helpful with questions we had about food, and he recommended their best dishes! The bar area is nice during the later hours as well!

Just so readers are aware, the fridge and microwave for the room are by request only. The cost is $10 for both. Honestly, I was pretty surprised by this. It is not ideal, but it really was no big issue since we needed the fridge and microwave during our stay. I only bring it up here to avoid any surprises.

Check-out was just as easy. We asked for a couple of cookies for our drive home, and the front desk staff happily obliged! Yum (again)!!

Would definitely stay here again when in Greensboro!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Room reeked of a moldy smell, the air conditioning fan was extremely noisy, the staff was non-responsive, the shower head threw water like a gigantic fire hose, I could go on and on. Do NOT stay here! My fiancee and I ended up getting two hours of sleep. The proverbial nightmare!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, ever. That's the tip.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We’ve worked with both our maintenance and housekeeping teams to ensure that we make the necessary corrections for our future guests. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were greeted by a brusque gentleman behind the desk who did not offer us a signature cookie, nor was he willing to provide us with one when requested. The rooms are nicely furnished, clean, and updated, however the guest rooms have no wi-fi internet. About 5% of the hotels I stay at these days don't feature wi-fi service. Since many travelers care nothing more than a tablet these days, wi-fi is basically a necessity these days.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
DTManager, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Logan Hampton,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area; you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.