“Average hotel, but honest housekeeping!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro
Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Lexington, Kentucky
“Average hotel, but honest housekeeping!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed at the Doubletree Greensboro on business over the Courtyard Marriott where my meeting was due to my loyalty to the HHonors program. It didn't quite strike me as a Doubletree-more like an overgrown Hampton Inn. The elevator situation is weird, the front desk was only mildly helpful, the breakfast was decent...nothing to justify the $150 a night price tag, but nothing offensive either. The workout room was the nicest part about the hotel-actual weights! :)

However, my opinion of this hotel changed when I returned home and discovered that I had left my set of P90X DVDs in my room. I called the hotel, not really expecting that I would get them back. However, they called me back and said that not only had they found the DVDs, but they had found a pair of pants I had left in the closet (I guess I had been in a hurry!). They arranged to ship them back to me overnight.

BIG kudos for honesty! I've left things in hotel rooms before only to have housekeeping steal them. I will go back to this hotel simply for this reason alone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChadBaker, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
We appreciate your cooments about our property. The housekeeping team here is top notch. Not only are they great at their job but also very honest, caring people. As the new front office manager I would like to invite you back to the property to show our improvements as a front desk staff and the entire hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Turkish first
QC, CAN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

As a business traveller I have to sleep in hotels all around the globe. My last stay at the Doubletree in Greensboro stood up from the pack...
Personnel as very nice and the hotel is clean, everything looks brand new.
Coming back home I noticed I forgot a valuable personal item. Called the front desk and got all the help I needed, item was packed for me ready to be picked up by Fedex at the fron desk.

This is what I call customer care!

Vince

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank vinceQc_Can
DTManager, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Greensboro, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Doubletree by Hilton Greensboro! We are fortunate to have guests like you who are willing to share your satisfaction with your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again!
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

My favorite hotel to stay in for market. Stayed here often, sleep well each time. The staff is accomodating and the day of my check out this last trip, a hard working housekeeper was passing by my door as I stepped out. She greeted me with a big smile and wished me a great day and thanked me for staying. She was carrying a large bag of linens but stopped to greet me when she saw me! The front desk is accommodating when a cab is needed but be sure to avoid Blue Bird Cab company, as their cabs are filthy. The hotel had to call another company, GK Transport Services and the car was much better and arrived quickly.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

I was in town for the Prince concert. I arrived at the hotel later than I expected to. Upon my arrival, the front desk staff was super friendly and very helpful. My room was extra clean & that bed... Let me just say that bed was a dream to sleep in after a hectic week. I will definitely be going back to the Doubletree whenever I'm in Greensboro again. Kudos to the management on own to the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

I'm a HiltonHonors member and travel for business - I stayed in a DoubleTree in another state the night before, so I had a fresh experience to compare it to.
Yes, it is new, and everything is bright and colorful, but it just isn't the quality of other DoubleTree hotels.
This was just a tall Hampton, which is fine, but a Hampton is a budget brand to me.

The coffee machine oin the lobby is a perfect example. A Starbucks machine that you swipe your credit card in and pay $2.00 for a cup of coffee - after paying $157 for a room??? Really?
The elevator was the same single person, s-l-o-w elevator that Hamptons use.
No robe - the DoubleTree the previous night had the robe, and coffee in the lobby, and four elevators. This tall hotel - had only one.
No giftshop, just a few items on some shelves in the lobby.
Since it is new, I have to assume this is where DoubleTree is going, if so, don't bother paying more, you're only going to get a glorified Hampton with chocolate chip cookies.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hoopsmom
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

I returned to my room late in the afternoon on the second day and found that the room had not been cleaned. I alerted the front desk and was told that I was the “mystery guest” that they could not identify and therefore did not clean the room. I then had to leave the room while the room was cleaned. The cleaning person took the dirty towels but did not replace them. This precipitated yet another call to the front desk to get clean towels. The service went downhill from that point for the rest of the week:
• Glasses were replaced on one day only and then only after catching the cleaning person in the hallway and asking her to do so.
• Trash was not emptied at all one day and the trash can liner was missing several days.
• One day we were left with no extra roll of toilet paper. By the next day, we were out. When I returned to my room after midnight, I had to go down to the front desk to ask for some. No apology. The front desk person just handed me the roll.
• Carpet was not swept the entire week.
• The counter in the bathroom was not wiped down the entire week. The ridge around the mirror in the bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time.
• On the last night, the towels on the rack in the bathroom were damp. I suspect that the dirty towels which were left on the floor were simply refolded and placed on the rack.
• The bag in the ice bucket was never emptied or changed even though it was used daily.
• In general, all the horizontal surfaces in the room looked like they were not dusted regularly, and the top of the headboard in particular looked like it had not been dusted in a very long time.
• On two occasions, my key card was deactivated, and I had to return to the front desk to have it activated.

In addition, the elevator situation is not very user friendly when trying to use a luggage cart. The cart will only fit in one elevator. If you wanted to use the larger elevator, you had to trick the smaller elevator into going to another floor so that you could use the larger one.

The restaurant at the hotel also had its own issues. While the breakfast buffet was decent, the wait staff did not have a clue. Even after repeating a request to a particular wait person several times, she still did not get it right. On several occasions, I had to retrieve my own silverware, jelly, etc. because the wait staff could not seem to remember that I had asked for these items. One evening, I waited at the front reception desk as the sign instructed until someone from the bar finally noticed and found someone to seat me.

Suffice it to say, that I will not be choosing DoubleTree for my accommodations in the future.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank SCVisitor_10
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

My family and I recently stayed at the Doubletree in Greensboro, NC. Let me just say I am a huge fan of Hilton Brand Hotels and I have stayed at many of their hotels in the US but this hotel was PERFECT. When you walk into the lobby the decorations were just beautiful and you could smell the fresh baked cookies they give you upon check-in.

SERVICE- When we arrived at the hotel the front desk staff member checked to make sure we were receiving the very best rate the hotel had to offer. I thought this was a nice gesture since most businesses are interested in their bottom line. She also called several minutes after we arrived in our rooms to make sure everything was perfect. We requested shower caps and they were delivering those before we could hang up the phone.

THE ROOM - When entering the room the temperature was perfect, the carpet was freshly vacuumed, and there were extra sets of towels in the bathroom. I should also mention the room was VERY spacious.

LOCATION - Another great thing about this hotel is location location location. Across the street is the mall. When you drive out to the main road you can either turn left or right and find great restaurants and if you need to access the interstate it is less than .25 mile away.

BEST THING ABOUT THIS DOUBLETREE - I would have to the say the service and room and you get the best cookie when you check in.

I recommend this hotel if you are travelling to the Greensboro area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family