“Excellent experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kennesaw GA
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

This Marriott is a 6-storey facility with two restaurants in the building; A good thing considering there are no other places to eat nearby. This hotel is somewhat isolated being the only hotel directly adjacent to GSO airport, but it is easily accessible and close to family I was visiting in north Greensboro. No airplane noise was heard at any time during my two night visit. The parking lot is well-lit and I saw a security guard on walking patrol at night.

My room on the 5th floor had a remarkably comfortable king bed with lots of pillows, a well supplied bathroom, a flat panel HDTV (but only standard definition channels), iron and board, and a compact refrigerator. There is a clock radio that has a pigtail connector (headphone style plug) to attach your MP3 player to listen over the speaker while you sleep. The work desk features a plug in panel with various connections for electronic gadgets (see photo). Unfortunately, there is a fee for internet access. A wall mounted thermostat (see photo) allows you to select continuous fan which I like since it creates white noise that helps me sleep.

The facility is spotlessly clean. Every staff member I encountered was outgoing and friendly. The front desk honored my room request upon check-in.

All this, yet I paid only $51.00/night with my successful Priceline bid.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Dawsonville, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

I travel on business very frequently and always stay at Marriott or Courtyard. This was my first stay at this location due to its location next to the airport for an early am flight. What a disappointment. My stay mirrors many of the other reviews,especially those reviews of the restaurant . I waited a very long time at a table (after being told to sit anywhere by a passing by bartender). I finally gave up and left and drove to a nearby Chilis. My bed was very comfortable but sink full of hair! Overall - my impression was that they are the only hotel by the airport and maybe they think they will never see us again - we are just passing through? Marriott, you let me down!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

The location is great for travelers who are flying into Greensboro. I, however, drove and it was very difficult to get to using GPS, especially at night. I had no problems checking in and the lobby looked very inviting. The clerk assigned me to a room that had a broken A/C and was directly in front of the ice machine and near the elevator. I asked to be reassigned to another room and they did it without problem. My new room was very clean, quiet, and functional. I had no problems with my stay, but if I went to Greensboro again, I would probably stay at a hotel with complementary internet service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We came in for a wedding and stayed overnight. The staff at the front desk were very attentive and pleasant. We needed to grab a quick lunch before the wedding and went to Pitchers Bar and Grill. The service was sooooo slow even though we were the only table occupied when we arrived. The food was good but getting refills on beverages etc slowed even more when a few more patrons arrived. It looked as though there was only one server, even though we saw other employees ambling around while we waited.
Our room was nice, the bed was a little on the bouncy side. We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home and cannot feel any motion so this was disturbing. The lovely bottled water left for us had a tiny label explaining that we would be charged $2.50 if it were opened. Unfortunately small kids don't always read before opening! The catering staff for the wedding dinner that night we top notch and the buffet breakfast the next morning was delish! We felt our food was overpriced, but this is not unusual for on sight venues.
Overall a great experience and we would stay there again! I almost forgot, the location was great for airport access and surprisingly we never heard a plane while there unless we were outside!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Potomac Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I am never disappointed at any of the Marriott Hotels, usually prefer them. But this one was very new looking, almost posh really. Was in town for a women's conference and all the hotels in town were booked tight, or had bad reviews. Decided on this, and really the location is nice. It's quiet, and was only 15 minutes away, from parking lot to parking lot, from the coliseum. This included police directing traffic off the exit due to this conference. Hotel staff at the front desk are very polite, and the manager asked me if I was willing to give up my first choice for a room, again due to the thing I was attending, which I was, and gave me free breakfast tickets for the length of my stay. I would go back most definitely.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

The staff here is always helpful and friendly. Jason at the front desk always greets us warmly. It's a typical Marriott hotel, with typical Marriott rooms, but it's conveniently located everyone is friendly. You can usually get good weekend deals. Unfortunately, they frequently cater to large groups, but they're not usually noisy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Pune
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

It was a disappointing experience at this Marriot adjacent to the GSO airport. The Hotel had a lack of freshness and vibrancy - and appeared mundane in just about every facility that it offered.

The breakfast spread was average, and the service was merely lip. The restaurant can make you wait for ages before they take an order and deliver.. But the agony that they putme through at my check-out has been the most harrowing experience in my life thus far...
On the afternoon prior to my departure, I had requested the Reception staff if they could arrange for a cab at 3am next morning to enable me to reach the rail station on time catch the train . Well, the hotel took my request and confirmed the arrangement for a cab (at 3am) to drop me at the Greensboro rail station. When I cross-checked with the hotel reception again later in the evening, they once again confirmed that the arrangement has been made.

However, after checking out at 3am , there was no cab at the hotel for me !! The reception personnel (on duty at that time) was not even aware that a cab was requisitioned and confirmed for me earlier the previous evening by the reception personnel at that point of time !!

When I insisted that the arrangement was confirmed by the Hotel reception, they checked their records and did find details of the booking. Only then did they call the cab agency/person, who regretted that they will not be able to send a car !! You can imagine my plight .The Reception then got in touch with another Agency, and the new cab person came after 40 agonizing minutes. Result- I missed my train...and it ruined my subseqent plans.

I at least expected the Marriot to depute their own car to drop me at the station in this contingency - but, they did not even offer the option !! Even as the Marriot vehicle was parked in the foyer all this while.

If only the Marriot staff had confirmed with the cab agency at 2am (or earlier) about the availability of the car, this problem would not have arisen. But then, the reception personnel were not even aware that a booking exists for a car at 3am.

To add insult to injury - not only has Marriot been insensitive to my travails at that time, it has chosen to remain conveniently silent even after I narrated this experience in an online survey requested by JW Marriot Jr himself, Chairman & CEO.

Three months have elapsed since my response and there is not even an expression of regret from Marriot !! Its all lip-service as they say...

I have consciously avoided the Marriot ever since.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business