“Renovated Courtyard needing a service makeover”

Courtyard Greensboro
Ranked #30 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My first experience was a line of 3 people waiting to checkin at 8PM and one person on the desk. After 15 mins of waiting and getting to the desk the reception given was less than pleasant, and not very helpful at all. Rooms are the new renovated style and clean/comfortable. The location is near the highway and after some tricky negiotation was given a room on the minor road side. Property needs some serious work on customer service in the evening. The following morning checkout was very nice and helpful, a complete 180. Overall it was fine for a one night stay

Room Tip: Highfloor room that does not sit near the highway, you will hear the traffic all night.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year. It is a convenient location for me, but I doubt that I will stay here again.

As a Marriott Gold level member, I expect a little upgrade in service. Both times I was not greeted as a Gold level member and have been given a room facing the highway which is quite noisy. I have had to go back to the desk and ask for a room overlooking the courtyard (they have balconies or patios as well which the street side does not). The rooms are fine except the conversations in adjoining rooms can be easily overheard. There was a small refrigerator (nice touch) in my room that I did not notice until I was packing to leave. The bathroom was pretty basic but functional. They only provided plastic cups in the rooms: a strange occurrence given that every other Courtyard I have stayed in (about 50) has had real glassware. The man in the bistro was kind enough to give me a cocktail glass and was very helpful in other ways. Breakfast came with my room rate and was filling and well cooked. Dinner menu options are limited to sandwiches, again a step down from the normal Courtyard. The pool is outdoors in the courtyard. It was not open yet, or at least I hope not because it was filthy. This is not a bad hotel; it just isn't quite up to par with other Courtyards. There is another Courtyard by the airport that I might try next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard. You might also ask for one with a large balcony (they var...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jegolf20
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have stayed at this property for years when I am traveling on business in the Greensboro area. This property has finally finished it extensive makeover and now has the new Courtyard decor.

This is an older Courtyard and has the initial design with the courtyard in the middle of the property, which I always liked. There is something pleasant about being able to sit on your balcony facing the courtyard or actually going down to the courtyard and pool area.

This property sits at the intersection of Wendover and I-40. So, you do get road noise. However, with everything closed, you don't really hear the traffic, especially in the rooms facing the courtyard. Plus, there are plenty of shopping and restaurant options in the area.

I had no issues with the staff. When I arrived, there was only 1 front desk person working and he was very involved with a customer that had multiple rooms with different start and end dates. He handled the situation well and was very apologetic for my wait and offered complimentary choice from the store, which I declined, but was a nice gesture.

This remains my "go to" property in Greensboro. The updated rooms are nice and the pricing for this property as a business traveler is very competitive.

Room recommendation - ask for a room facing the courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I REALLY like this "Marriott" property because it is an ideal location for families and business travelers when they need to shop at major retailers and dine in at various restaurants nearby. The hotel's interior decor was upgraded to a modern/sleek look. The Staff are famous for their friendliness and knowledge expertise of the local area. The hotel food selection is very fresh tasting. The rooms are HUGE in my opinion and the view from their "Courtyard" patio/balcony is pleasant. I always have a comfortable/relaxing experience here that REJUVENATES me each and every hotel stay that I enjoy!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The upgrades that Marriott has made to its Courtyard properties are nice. The lobby layout is fresh and open. It seems particularly good for business travelers. The lobby cafe is open all day (although did not open until 7 am which seemed a bit late for someone wanting a latte) with a small variety of food and beverage. The actual courtyard itself is nicely laid out with outdoor seating areas for good weather. The rooms were clean and what you would expect. The fitness room offers quality machines but is very limited. Our experience with the staff was mixed. I expected warm Southern hospitality and accomodation. We got that from some staff but not from others. The cafe staff person was not overly friendly and the woman who checked us in seemed slightly confused and bothered. Overall, the property was nice, the staff could be better.

Room Tip: First floor courtyard side opens right up to the courtyard with a sliding glass door - a nice touch.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nice hotel, my family had 4 rooms here on an overnight trip down south. Good location, nice staff. Starbucks is great but the staff seemed confused whether or not there should have been complimentary coffee set up on the weekend. We would stay again!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here several years ago before the updates. The new courtyard upgrades have made a big difference! Comfortable, clean, convenient. Walking distance to Tripps or Cracker Barrel. Very helpful and welcoming staff from the front desk to housekeeping. No mini-fridge or microwave in our room - but there is a microwave in the lobby. Very close to the highway - so there is some traffic noise.

Room Tip: Rooms facing wendover may be more quiet than those on the back that face the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business