“Typical Diner” 3 of 5 bubbles

Smith Street Diner
Ranked #28 of 885 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Gibsonville, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Typical Diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I had heard great things about this little place, and decided to go for breakfast one morning. I am not sure if it was that we came in for a late breakfast or it was just an off day, but we were really disappointed. The biscuits were a huge draw to our trip and what we were served with dry and had clearly been sitting for a while; maybe this was a late breakfast issue. The corned beef hash was actually tasty, but that was it from our two large meals purchased. The staff was what you would expect in a mom and pop style diner....nothing bad with that.

Visited April 2012

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a good meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Have had many things on the menu but I always come back to my old stand by of a country ham sandwich and we share some potato pancakes. The potato pancakes come with sour cream and apple sauce. They are amazing. Good prices and a good meal (and a dum dum lollipop when you leave) no way to beat that!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Michelle M
Loveland, Ohio
“A Big Breakfast for a small Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I am prejudice. Yep, I admit it. Having grown up working in high school and college at a Greek-owned pancake house, I felt the only place you could get a REALLY good breakfast was at a diner or restaurant owned by Greeks. I like a good bowl of grits, real butter and every now and then splurge and have a big, greasy plate of bacon.

When my husband suggested we go to Smith Street Diner in Greensboro, NC for breakfast I agreed to go, of course with a closed mind. I would get my usual egg white omelette, whole wheat toast and fruit. Their logo reads "Open 8 days a week." Cute. Upon walking in, I immediately got the feel that this place was the real deal! It was very busy and when I started stalking peoples plates to see what the food looked like, I noticed biscuits the size of soup bowls!! Holy smoke, what was this place?

The menu was a blend of southern and good ole fashioned american food. I narrowed my choice down to 2 eggs, HOMEMADE corned beef hash, grits and yes, the biscuit. At the last minute I ordered orange juice and it's a good thing I did as it was fresh squeezed (over at the cash register you can watch the machine squeeze the oranges into the glass!)

I lined my butter up and waited. They were very busy, but the food did not take long to come. And there it was...the biscuit!! Because it was so big, I thought it was going to also be heavy. I am not sure how they make them but it literally was as light as a crescent roll. I lathered that thing up with butter, glopped my corned beef hash with catsup and topped the grits off with salt. I crushed it all and then washed it down with the fresh squeezed orange juice. It truly was the best traditional breakfast I have ever had. Did I mention it was only $6.95??!!!

If you live in or near Greensboro or you happen to be in town, you must make the trip to Smith Street Diner. You will not be disappointed.

I may have to rethink my prejudices now.

Glendale, Arizona
“Run there 8 Days a Week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stood in line to get in, it was a drizzly New Years morning, but we met people and didn't mind. They have a couple small awnings to stand under or just inside the alcove. We had heard it was good, even from the singer in our New Year's Eve concert. Oh boy what a breakfast. And I almost ate every bite which I rarely do. The best for me was the sweet low pulp freshly squeezed OJ. I should have gotten a large. The cost is very reasonable. As busy as they were, they were hopping and happy. A good feeling within. PIg pictures on walls give it a light fun. Sure wish we had one of these back home.

Nashville, Tennessee
“worth getting off the interstate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I try to stop at diners whenever we travel. This was a good find, even on a Sunday when the menu and hours are limited. I had a hamburger, ground from brisket and short ribs, and he had a bowl of gumbo. Both proved impossible to finish...both were very very good. We're looking forward to stopping during the week sometime for their vegetable plate, and other specials.

You will see a wonderful cross section of the population here. People dressed for church and people who may have just gotten out of bed, college students, middle aged and all ethnicities. Wait staff is friendly as are the patrons who have to wait outside for their names to be called...

All in all, they set the bar mighty high for diners.

• 3 of 5 bubbles