“Very poor service”

Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining options: Waitstaff
“Very poor service”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This place had very poor service. The food was okay, typical diner food. Not only we had to wait long before given a table, orders were not 100% accurate drinks was not refilled. The cashier person was the most rude person I had encounter in the restaurant buisness, had one of the worst attitude. I would never return to this restaurant again.

“Two different visits, two different experiences...”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We bought two restaurant.com coupons to this restaurant since we would be staying in Greensboro for a few days after camping, and knew we would want some home-cooked food after roughing it.

First visit: The place was pretty empty, quiet, and clean. Our waitress appeared to be new to serving but was very helpful and friendly.

The kids of course ordered the cheeseburger and chicken fingers kids meals while my husband and I ordered the all you can eat spaghetti with side salads. The kids meals were typical, not up to par with chain restaurants but the kids ate them. The fries were good.

The spaghetti was decent and one serving was more than enough, the sauce was thick and meaty and it was served with garlic toast which was reg white bread fashioned into garlic bread. The salad was something to write home about tho! For a buck we got a good size bowl with several large chunks of tomato, chunks of cucumber, red onion, and crisp lettuce. A good size cup of dressing came with it.

Second visit: The place was again empty and quiet. There were a few tables that needed to be bussed and ours wreaked of bleach. Our waitress this time, an older business-like rushed lady, apologized saying she had just "cloroxed" the table and she wiped it down with a rag and promised to come back and dry it off. She never did and we wiped it dry ourselves with napkins (including the edges so as not to ruin our clothes) while we looked longingly at the waitress we had the day before.

This time both kids ordered the chicken fingers and fries. One had to be sent back due to a dark hair sitting on the plate. No real apology, no comp either. Wow. Just "I'll get you another sweetie, don't worry". It kind of took a while for them to drop some fries and chicken into grease, but oh well.

This time my husband ordered the beef tips and rice - the daily special. It was not special at all, hardly filling. He ordered a side salad to go with it, and I ordered one to go with my meal - the chicken penne pasta. I don't think I got that dish since the waitress cut me off while I was ordering and thought I was ordering the chicken alfredo... I corrected her but the sauce was pretty boring and bland, in fact I don't think there was any cheese in it at all - surely not the "signature pepperjack cheese sauce" boasted in the description on the menu. But there was plenty of it and of course the garlic toast along with it, so my husband was able to fill his belly too.

Our salads this time were a few rings of red onion, one chunk of tomato, two pieces of cucumber, and the same crisp lettuce from the day before.

Our drinks were refilled constantly, without asking or really any eye contact. We were just on her "route".

We will go back if in Greensboro, the service was pretty quick and the price was right. Being on a budget, we were just looking to fill our bellies and did not expect gourmet cuisine. But then again, we didn't expect wayward hairs on a plate either. Hmmmm....

• Visited August 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Disappointed”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We are the kind of customer this restaurant is looking for when they posted a LivingSocial deal. We'd never been to this restaurant before and enjoy making new discoveries. So we looked forward to trying a new home cooking family style restaurant.

Our first impression was a sign on the door saying coupons are not honored on Friday (the day we came for lunch). We asked and were told that our voucher would be honored; the sign applied to another deal.

It had been a good while since I tried fish and chips. That is what I ordered. The menu said that the daily specials come with two veggies. So I ordered two and was told I could only order one vegetable because the meal already came with fries (i.e., chips if you're British). So I asked the server if the item ordered was "fish and chips" as shown on the menu or just "fish", the "chips" being extra. She didn't understand. With my wife giving me the eye to let it go, I did so. Don't get the person who's making your food mad.

I rarely have fried food now, but was looking forward to a good round of fish and chips. Disappointment. My fish (tilapia) was overcooked and soft, dripping in grease. The chips (fries) were also soft and greasy.

Oakcrest Family Restaurant did not succeed in acquiring repeat business from me. Maybe I'm just spoiled at the quality of home cooked meals I enjoy at home.

See more reviews to help reduce friction in your life at FrictionFactor.com.

• Visited February 2012