“Upscale at a Good Value”
Review of Tripps Restaurant

Tripps Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 930 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Tripps is a long time favorite for everyone in Greensboro. The food is always fresh and the staff is friendly and welcoming. I had the sirloin and shrimp. The steak was cooked a perfect medium rare and the shrimp were crisp with a wonderful spicy cocktail sauce. The servings are generous and the prices are fair.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Recommended by Springhill Suites. My wife and I got the free appetizer, firecracker shrimp. Very good. Served in a large glass that is half full of cabbage to create a bigger display.
Cocktails, My wife ordered a Margarita which was served in another large showy glass. She said the drink was OK.
I ordered my usual, Vodka martini, rocks, lemon twist. The bartender obviously had no clue. The martini arrived in a shaker, but this was not left, just poured at the table, more show. The martini was terrible. Lemon juice had been added to it and the twist was a lemon wedge.
Main course, steaks were nicely flavored and properly cooked, but tough. If this restaurant is paying for top class beef and aging it as they claim they are getting ripped off.
I had hopes for the creamed spinach, a steakhouse staple. Wrong. Below average.
Nice salad, Nice bread.
Dessert cheesecake was EXCELLENT. Imported from a New York bakery.

So, overall, this restraint was disappointing. Lots of show but very little substance. The steaks at Longhorn would have been better. I've had better cocktails at hole in the wall bars, and all that would have been less expensive.
They need to pay more attention to food quality, and get properly trained bartenders. The cooks and servers were fine.

1  Thank Robert A
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Over the past 20 years my wife and I have visited Tripps well over 500 times. For years it was one of our favorites, but not any more. The quality of the food has slowly slipped into the category of ordinary. Nothing sets it apart any longer. It's not bad, just OK, and that no longer works for us. Portions are generally too large with too many unneeded calories, and although the steaks are still good very little else is noteworthy. Too many dishes have been on the menu too long, and too many dishes that have come off the menu should not have. In short, we're going to try someplace else for a while.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tripps is my favorite place for lunch or dinner. The Greens & Grille Salad is wonderful. Steaks are excellent. Service is the best, very friendly, and eager to please.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went to the Tripps on New Garden and they by far beat our Ruth's Chris and Flemings on their Steaks. Oh yeah, they are have the price and staff is great.