“Excellent Pho!”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I searched for awhile to find an authentic Vietnamese food. It is located in a small strip plaza. The parking was quite limited. We came close to the end of lunch time and were seated right away. The service was fast and friendly. Our lunch was very delicious, we both tried the combination special beef and seafood pho. The quality of the beef was excellent. I enjoyed the meatballs and the dipping sauce. The broth has been the best part about the soup.

1  Thank SpTraveling
There are newer reviews for Pho Hien Voung

Reviewed August 1, 2014

When we go to Greensboro, NC we eat here for authentic, inexpensive Vietnamese food. This time the food was still authentic, but not so inexpensive, and the quality was not as good as previous visits. They are still very popular. The Vietnamese spring rolls are very good, but the price is up. We also had the beef noodle soup, which was good, but more expensive and less beef.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our recent visit for lunch was very nice, and the excellent reviews for this place are well deserved. The inside is nicely decorated, bright and clean - not necessarily what you would expect of a place located in such a small, dingy strip center.

We were seated quickly, our order promptly taken, and beverages provided. My wife ordered the Special Beef Pho, and I settled on the Chicken with Vegetables lunch special - comes with choice of white or brown rice, and a fried Spring Roll, for about $5. The Special Pho was was priced at $9 or so.

The food was a little slow out of the kitchen, which our nice waitress acknowledged, and the Chicken dish was brought out 5 minutes or so before the Pho - party foul. But, when the Pho came it was worth the small wait - the portion is huge, at least a third larger than any that we had been served at other restaurants, and loaded with goodies - rare beef, well done beef, meat balls, noodles, onions, and tons of the most intensely flavored broth I've had in this dish.

The tray of additional items for the pho - fresh bean sprouts, cilantro (a small amount), basil (a large amount), a slice of lemon, and jalapeno peppers - was provided, and there were several pepper sauces on the table, and Hoisin Sauce was brought as well - and the Hoisin Sauce had an excellent flavor, fresh and sharp.

All this, and some hot sauce, combined with the Pho was excellent. I've about decided that the beef items in pho (where ever served) really bring little in the way of taste to the dish, especially the meatballs, which typically are dense and have no flavor, and I'm not sure chicken would be much different. Thinking I'll try seafood, or tofu, or maybe go with just noodles and broth.

The Chicken dish, a stir fry with vegetables was ok, but If I find must Vietnamese, and Thai, stir fries contain a sauce that is too sweet for my taste - one or two bites and it get old. The fried Spring and the dipping sauce was exceptional.

I like this place and look forward to trying additional dishes. This place was busy, and there was a lot of take out. The service is friendly and attentive, and the chopsticks are solid, not those wimpy, curved sticks you find in so many restaurants, and the pricing is more than reasonable considering the proportions - the only way things could get better, is if some else picked up the check.

The only real problem with this restaurant is the location, and more specifically, the parking, and lack thereof. The lot is small, the spaces are small, and when it is busy it is really difficult to find a spot - and the smallness and the awkward angles makes you painfully aware of the less than stellar driving habits of your fellow customers.

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I tried PHO about a month ago and now get it weekly for luch. I get one of their daily lunch deals to go. $6 after tax! So much flavor!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I love this place! PHV remains tops on my list of excellent restaurants in Greensboro. I believe my last review of PHV was April 2013. Most of my visits since then have been for pickup. This was not different and thankfully the food remains top notch. My family all ordered different dishes. Everyone raved over their dish. Two people shared one order of Chicken and fried rice. The wings were uniquely perfect (ordered "mild"). The chicken with snow peas and onions was outstanding! I can easily see why this restaurant remains one of Greensboro's most top rated! The pickup service was right on. I hope to return soon for a sit-down lunch or dinner to test the table service.

1  Thank KbarUpit

Been to Pho Hien Voung? Share your experiences!