“Nice but a few niggles”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Nice but a few niggles”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The Proximity Hotel is a bit of a conundrum for me. Certain aspects of it have been done really well, but there were some niggles that spoiled the overall effect for me.

I arrived fairly late at the hotel. I received a warm welcome and check-in was handled efficiently. I mentioned that the airline had lost my luggage and that I was hoping it would be delivered overnight. They told me they would look out for it and have it sent up to my room when it arrived. Surprisingly - with the benefit of hindsight - they didn't offer me any toiletries to replace the ones in my delayed bag. So when I got to the room I had to call down for stuff like toothpaste, toothbrush etc.

The room itself was quite nice - reasonably spacious, tastefully decorated in neutral colours with some seating & a desk. Free internet was provided, both wired and wireless, throughout the hotel & restaurant.

A few minor gripes with the room - firstly there wasn't much hanging space. The wardrobe was large enough for my clothes but had my wife been with me we would really have struggled. Secondly, although the bathroom was a good size with a large shower and double sink, there was no hanging for towels - so once I'd unrolled a towel to use, it was going to stay wet. That seems strange for a hotel that is trying to reduce its environmental impact as it meant I used way more towels than would have been the case had I been able to hang them up.

The bed was pretty comfortable and the room was quiet so I had no trouble sleeping, although housekeeping did seem rather eager to clean the room in the morning - maybe I should have put the do not disturb sign out, but I do think it's a bit unreasonable to knock on the door before 9am on a Sunday morning, especially when the hotel was hosting the wedding I had attended the night before.

The hotel is served by an attached restaurant called The Printworks Bistro. I had breakfast there each morning and the quality was very good, with reasonable prices - no breakfast buffet, but most of the a la carte entrees were $10-$12 which is fine for a hotel of this class. With coffee, juice & tip this meant breakfast ran at something like $15-$20 per person. Service inside was very good, but for those who wished to sit outside on the terrace the waiters didn't seem to pass through very often, meaning a long wait to ask for a refill etc.

Which brings me to one of my main gripes about the hotel. The place has Platinum-level LEED certification meaning it has made a real effort to minimize its environmental impact - water conservation, energy from solar cells etc. So why do they feel they need to pollute the environment by filling every open space in the hotel with piped music? Even the outdoor spaces suffered from it - so you couldn't hear the birdsong sitting on the terrace at breakfast, because the music was so loud! The staff seemed to have little control over it, because on one occasion we asked for it to be turned down, to no avail. I wandered the hotel on one day looking for any spot where I could sit and read a book in silence - the only place is the smoking area in the carpark. Apparently smokers don't deserve piped music. This really spoiled it for me, and when I mentioned it to the friends I was travelling with they were generally in agreement that it was unneccessary and spoiled the enjoyment of being outdoors. I ended up spending a lot more time in my room than I would have liked, simply to get away from the musak. This one factor would be sufficient to ensure I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

There is a little pool which was a nice temperature but was again spoiled by the piped music. Supposedly there was a pool menu but in all the time I spent there I never saw any staff offering to take orders.

So, back to the subject of my luggage. When I checked with reception the following morning I was assured that it had still not arrived, so I logged into the airline's website and tracked it - which confirmed that it had indeed been delivered to the hotel. So I went back to reception with this information and they had another look (probably actually the first look) and indeed, there it was. So much for having it sent straight up to my room when it arrived.

It's all these little things that make the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. I feel bad being critical, because the hotel was the venue for my friends' wedding and it was a lovely day. But from a purely subjective viewpoint I'd call this hotel a near-miss in the sense that it was pretty good, and many guests probably wouldn't even notice the things that annoyed me.

Just to finish off, check-out was almost seamless. A group of us had booked a van from the hotel to take us to the airport. We asked the front desk to get all our luggage loaded into the van - and gave them the luggage tickets. On past experience I have found that it is a good idea when this process is complete to check that all the bags are there - and on this occasion, they were not. Which is just silly. It would have been very upsetting to get the airport and discover some of the bags were missing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Russell N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Charlottesville
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Arriving at the Proximity Hotel was like arriving at an oasis in a city. Extremely friendly staff, beautiful modern design, and extremely comfortable rooms. The outdoor dining experience at The Print Works Bistro was excellent. Terrific spot for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Just got back from a roughly 12 hr stay at the Proximity! Loved it and wished I had more than one evening and night to check out all the spaces and amenities. Things I loved: beautiful room the size of my NY studio apartment, large bathroom w/ double sinks (tho water wasn't always as hot as desired--darn solar panels :), lovely lounge spaces throughout the hotel & grounds, the Print Works Bistro where I had dinner w/a friend, easy computer access, free shuttle service to the airport, friendly staff... don't imagine I'll have frequent opportunity to visit Greensboro, but if I do, I know where I'm staying!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
nyc
Reviewed April 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Proximity for one night, in the midst of a manic bbq swing through the region. We had been very discouraged by most of the hotels we'd found online: everything was really froufrou or really corporate-looking. We were desperately in search of something modern, comfortable, well-maintained and quiet. Given our bbq m.o., a gym was a must; decent food (and not just southern fare but fresh fruits and veggies) a definite plus. When I found Proximity on TA, I honestly thought it was too good to be true, given the rates offered. I was nervous as we pulled up (and the hotel's location on the edge of an office park off the highway didn't much alleviate that feeling).

But inside: surprise! Proximity was pretty much exactly what it promised. The place was really well-designed, both in the public areas and in the rooms themselves; the staff were friendly and professional (it wasn't the kind of service you'd find at really really upscale joints, but it was straightforward, efficient, and served up with a smile and goodwill); room service was quick and easy to deal with (without any of the formal rigamarol of some more upscale places); the food was fresh and good. The gym was very basic, but it was open 24 hrs. Our room was enormous, outfitted with lots of plugs for electricals, a well-located flat-screen tv, a long low sofa and a desk and chair set-up as well as a comfy bed. The bathroom was big. It was a bit stark-looking and low on towels, and I was surprised to see that toiletries came in individual containers (not so terribly green for a LEEDS-cert joint) but the shower was a good one. In the morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, which is bright and sunny in the daytime, a lovely well-designed space with a really good menu and friendly service. And everything, everywhere, was spotless.

We've had the good fortune of staying in some very very nice hotels, and I am extremely picky. It's not luxurious in the 800-thread-count sense, but for its pricepoint (and its location!), the Proximity is a huge bargain and a serious find. We felt absolutely, completely comfortable and very well taken-care of.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I admit I don't think of Greensboro, NC when I think of cities with cool hotels, but I was wrong. The Proximity Hotel is an extraordinary property. Upon entering you are led to believe that this is a restored old printer's warehouse, but when you read the articles in your room and watch the hotel's video about the property you learn it was built to feel that way but in fact it's one of the most energy-efficient hotels in the world. Everything about the property is designed with sustainability in mind. It's actually pretty cool to try and find all things they've done to make the hotel "green."
Meanwhile, you're extremely comfortable in the spacious rooms. The huge windows are a wonderful thing during the day, but the blackout curtains ensure a good night's sleep. Fluffy towels, complimentary robes, and good products help make the stay very comfortable. I liked particularly that they had both a fridge and a microwave in the room along with complimentary water (although the green theme could have been carried a bit further by providing water bottles and a large dispenser in the "living room" that is on each floor where ice and snacks are found.)
There is ample closet and shelf space, a large sofa and divan, and a table with two chairs in the king room I had. Plenty of room to spread out and to get work done, which was good for me. The small pool and workout area seemed appropriate for the setting, although I did not avail myself of either. The Bistro, as I mentioned, was fantastic. They also do the room service, which was prompt and hot. The staff at the hotel was great about making reservations for us and I highly recommend the sister property's restaurant the Green Valley Grill. The Proximity has old-fashioned cabs will shuttle you there.
On each floor there is a "living room" as our bellhop explained. It has a sitting area, a coffee bar, a microwave, a computer with internet access and a printer, and an "honor bar" with drinks. There is a large lobby with plenty of seating along with a lower level lobby with even more seating. Lively music is played during the day and into the evening making the lobby area very upbeat.
One thing I struggle with in cute boutique hotels is access to outlets in the room. The Proximity design addresses this very well with at least six accessible AC outlets in the main room and two in the bathroom.
The bathroom is quite large and uses a sliding door on a track which also has the towel rack on it. There was no bathtub in my room--just a large shower. Perhaps that too was a green initiative. The taps on the sinks are designs to control flow, but the hot water was ample and fast.
Very few drawbacks, but here they are--no mini-bar so therefore no late night chocolate snack for those of us who crave it before bed. The honor bar just wasn't sufficient for that, plus who wants to paddle down the hall after dressing for bed? There are not enough hooks in the bathroom for hanging towels, robes, or clothes you don't want to put on the floor or counter and no drawers for concealing things not for public viewing except to stash them in the suitcase. No drawers at all--making it hard to conceal unmentionables if you are having colleagues in the spacious room for a meeting or shared meal. Admittedly these last two drawbacks would not be an issue if you were using the room privately, but I had colleagues in and out.
We were at the Proximity during a full house because of High Point Market happening. They handled the crowds and the demands very well and we would recommend the property to anyone who has business or pleasure in Greensboro.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank TVBelle
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Very enjoyable stay, the room was clean & comfortable. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. I only tried the adjoining hotel for breakfast and the food and service was outstanding. No complaints, very relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Burlington, NC
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My Wife and I took a night without the kids at the Proximity. Check in was smooth no problems. Room was spacious & clean with a king bed, nice stand up shower and two sinks in the bathroom. They had a microwave and small refrigerator in the room as well. We had no complaints and were very satisfied with our visit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple