“Convenient to hwy, but not best HGI”

Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro
Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Sammamish, Washington
“Convenient to hwy, but not best HGI”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights recently at this HGI. We arrived at 12pm, and asked if we could check in early. We were denied. No problem. We came back after 2pm, and was told that my room still isn't ready, and was offered only available room one floor down. Again, not a big deal. As a gold member, we were not offered any upgrade.

Room was OK, but doesn't look like it's been renovated for a few years. Bed wasn't very comfortable, but ok. The blankets looked a bit worn.

Breakfast was not best. I asked sausage with my omelet, but had to ask again when I when up to pick it up. Apparently someone will bring you the ordered egg, but mine sat there for a while, so I just went up to get it. The other annoying thing was that juice glasses are tiny, and the two juices available had lids on the container. Why make it hard, and why such small glasses? I noticed that if you asked the waitress for a glass of orange juice, you get a bigger glass. Is this the way to get more tip? My bill wasn't calculated correctly one morning too...

Room service was spotty too. I had used the self-serve ice bucket the first two nights. In both cases, the next day, the bucket wasn't emptied or put back. That bothered me.

Internet was alright, but not fast. I wasn't able to stream anything.

Location is great, next to I-40, and close to lots of restaurants and shops. Service could be better though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear palladia,

Thanks for your review and feedback regarding your recent stay. While we're glad you found our location great, I do apologize for the inconveniences you ran into and our team will discuss your comments - providing excellent service is one of our biggest priorities and we appreciate your feedback in regards to how we can improve. If you'd like to discuss your visit further, please give me a call at the number below. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Greensboro.

(434) 822-2161

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great option for short business trip/travel. Would defintely return and/or recommend this location. Very clean rooms and up to date technology. Very courteous staff and easy check-in/out. I am a HHonors member and this location is in my top five for the region.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Talkdty,

We appreciate you reviewing our Hilton Garden Inn and are flattered to hear we've become one of your top choices in the area. It's always great to hear from our HHonors members and we're thankful for your recommendation. Thanks again for your comments and we can't wait for your next stay!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The room itself wasn't anything spectacular but was certainly very clean. Everyone here was exceptionally courteous and more than willing to help which is what compelled me to write a review. I was blown away by the staff so much that this will be the only place I book at while in Greensboro!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Ejryuu,

Thanks for your review and I'm delighted that you found our staff so friendly and accommodating during your visit. Providing a pristine environment is one of our biggest priorities so I'm delighted you found everything so clean. We can't wait to see you again the next time you're in town!

Hickory, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked a NON_SMOKING room because both I and the other person I was traveling with am sensitive to cigarette smoke. Upon arrival I was told that I was being placed in a NON_SMOKING room (Room #128). The smell of smoke and staleness of the air inside the room nearly knocked me down when I opened the door. I tolerated it for about 15 minutes before I called the front desk and spoke to a gentleman about the problem. I asked the front desk clerk if my room was a non-smoking room and he told me it was but the adjoining rooms on either side of me were smoking rooms and that the smell was probably filtering in under the connecting door. He offered to send me a can of air freshener spray or extra towels that I could "stuff under the door" to slow the infiltration of smoke into my room. I asked for someone to spray and a staff member brought a half used can of air freshener and just handed it to me and left; never offering to assist any further. The spray helped for about 10 minutes before the smell was strong again. I again tried to tolerate the conditions until my eyes began burning from the smoke smell. I again called the front desk and asked if my room was in fact a non-smoking room and the clerk again assured me it was. I told him that the spray wasn't working and he sarcastically offered an air purifier (ionizer) to be brought to my room. A staff member dropped off the machine and I made the best I could out of the situation until the morning. I awoke fully congested from inhaling secondhand cigarette smoke all night and left my room with all my clothes now smelling of smoke. I requested a different room from the front desk clerk before leaving that morning and was accommodated with a new room when I returned that afternoon. What angered me was that as I left my room (#128) on the first morning of my stay I noticed that my room was not labeled as a non-smoking room as were the others down the hall. The front desk clerk had blatantly lied to me when I asked him the previous night whether or not my room was non-smoking. This may sound petty, but I have a strong skin allergy to cigarette smoke and try to avoid it whenever possible to prevent flare-ups. I felt that the staff that checked me in should have told me that I was being placed in a smoking room so that I could make an informed decision at that time whether or not to check-in or take my business elsewhere. I was placed in a new NON_SMOKING room (#526) for the second day of my reservation and had no further complaints with the quality of the remainder of my stay. I will likely not do business with this particular hotel in the future, however, based on the fact that the check-in staff lied to me twice when I asked if my room was a smoking room. The air quality I experienced on my first night in my room was on par for a $35/night motel chain; not a Hilton!

Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel and I'd like to sincerely apologize for the initial mix-up regarding your guest room. Our team is handling this on our end to prevent similar occurrences in the future as providing friendly, excellent service is one of our biggest priorities. If you would like to speak about this further, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at the number below and I would be happy to talk to you. I'm otherwise glad that your stay went well and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show how much we value our guests. Thanks again for your review.

(434) 822-2161
Queens, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you want to stay at a hotel that cares, stay here. While it is not a cheap hotel, the return on your dollar is excellent and the staff do care and also do look after their guests - from the front desk to the breakfast crews.

Dear Rob J,

Thanks so much for your review and kind words regarding your experiences at our Hilton Garden Inn. We're grateful to hear that you always receive great value for your money and I will pass your kind words on to the rest of our team. Thank you again and we can't wait for your next visit!

Albnay, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had my family reunion there and it was quite comfortable. The dinner that was served at our banquet was excellent. The food was so flavorful. The breakfast that was served was also very good. Overall, I enjoyed my stay. No complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Karima W,

Thank you for your review and I hope you had a fun time at the reunion! I'm very happy to hear you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed our restaurant's food so much and we're grateful for your high ratings across the board. Thanks again and we hope it won't be too long before your next visit!

Dallas, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Comfortable, very clean, the amenities you need (workout room, restaurant, roomy room, large bathroom, comfortable rollaway, great A/C, large lobby for conversations). I ended up here by mistake, but it turned out to be my good luck. The only thing you could be disappointed with is that the indoor pool is small, the room it's in is humid and the chlorine is overpowering. But, if a pool is not on your top ten list, you'll be very happy here. The staff is excellent. You'll be super lucky if Ms. Preston checks you into the hotel. She's hospitality personified. I had to work the entire time I was there with my family, but I had no problems. Internet worked great and the place is peaceful. There's a decent Chinese buffet across the street with LOTS of choices. And there are several other restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Sophia J,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our Hilton Garden Inn and are delighted that even though you hadn't originally planned to stay with us, you had a great experience. We're glad that you found our guest service so excellent and I will pass your kind words on. I do apologize that our indoor pool fell short of your expectations, but our team appreciates your comments and will discuss your feedback. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you for another stay soon!