“Bog standard American box” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro

Hilton Garden Inn Greensboro
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
“Bog standard American box”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed in many US hotels of similar style standard is good but nothing special. Not ideal location wise as vehicles are necessary to go downtown or anywhere. Staff courteous and very clean rooms, breakfast satisfactory.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed over the Easter weekend of 2012. The hotel was clean and we had accessed the special rate of $99 per night. The check-in was uneventful and we were placed on the 2nd floor. The rooms and bathroom were clean and I cannot fault the amenities. The room comes with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. I cant say this was the best hotel, but if you were looking for the best mix between affordability and clean, comfy as well as FLUFFY pillows, then this hotel is a good choice.

There was free internet, free parking but no free breakfast. However you could always get a free bottle of water from the front desk and get hot coffee/tea in the lobby. The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and stores, all centrally located within a 5 to 10 minute walk. We easily accessed Panera Bread, Walgreens and other stores in the mall just up the street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I was a very-late-night walk-in, which is why I caught a rate ($99, versus the website price of $149). Not to say there wasn’t plenty of $99-$122 rates available on the website - for full advance prepayment beyond the two week horizon. That’s all good, because I’d say this property is not worth a penny more than $99/night anyway. This property is old construction and it’s a wee bit rough around the edges - dated and mismatched lobby furniture, for example. It’s nowhere near equal to the typical Hilton Garden Inns I’ve stayed in previously. It’s an easy on/off from I-40 at Wendover.

Since I arrived late I asked for, and was granted, a late check-out and a wake-up call one hour prior. The front desk clerk seemed to be having a lot of trouble actually getting me into the computer. I gave up waiting and used the time to go back outside, park my car, and roll my luggage back up to the front desk.

I requested “high and away,” (meaning a high floor and away from noise such as elevators, housekeeping closets, high traffic, ice machines, etc.) Nevertheless I was assigned a room on the second floor. When I opened my room door, I saw I had been placed in a handicapped/accessible room (& the odd bathroom that comes with such). Not a word was said about that at the front desk, mind you. The property apparently has a generous amount of accessible rooms, and I guess they dump the excess onto guests who arrive late and/or who get cut a rate. There was no elevator or ice machine nearby the room but there certainly was a constant & aggravating racket on both sides of the room that sounded just like it, making it difficult to get to sleep.

The room was otherwise OK, a bit larger since it was accessible, a fridge, a microwave. The bed was plenty comfy. No issues with HVAC, hot water, etc. The bathroom countertop space was quite puny.

The maids started rattling the door one minute after the standard check out time. Which is what woke me up since I never got the wake up call I was promised at check-in. I stuck my head out the door and explained my late checkout to the maids who were now working in the room next door … they stopped talking to listen to me, but they never said anything back.

At check out I was asked if my under-the-door copy of my folio was OK. I said yes, only later remembering there HADN’T BEEN an under-the-door copy, so I ended up getting home with no hardcopy of my folio at all. (I eventually called the front desk and asked they email me one, and they promptly did so.)

There was free coffee, decaf & hot water for tea in the lobby … but that was only when I was leaving. When I arrived, there was no decaf or hot water, just coffee, that more for the convenience of the graveyard shift workers, I imagine. Funny, I can get that decaf 24/7 at any Hampton Inn, a Hilton brand positioned as a tier lower than HGI.

The employees seemed like nice enough people, but management’s allowing them to get away with way too much ho-hum attitude and do-it-halfway customer service. Based on my stay, the rack rates at the Hilton website for this property are grossly overpriced, as though it’s a full service, quality property, and that’s just not the case. Given this was not a very polished HGI, you could stay at a typical Hampton and get just about the same quality and service this venue offers - PLUS a free breakfast bar - for less that what this place charges. So why bother? I would only stay here again “in a pinch.”

So far my hunt for a high quality, value-priced stay in Greensboro hasn’t been successful. There’s a couple of nice boutique properties in town, but they are priced through the roof. And the true full service properties - Sheraton, Marriott - seem priced significantly higher than in similar markets. After that, there doesn’t seem to be much “middle ground,” just a ton of two&three-star meh hotels to choose from. Looks like my hunt continues …

Happy Motoring !

Room Tip: Tell the front desk they better not stick you with a handicapped/accessible room ... or they will !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We meet our family for the weekend while visiting our sons who are students at UNC Greensboro and Appalachian State University. What a great hotel! We had a huge suite with 2 Queen beds, a pull out couch bed in the living room area, small fridge, microwave and 1 1/2 baths! We had everything we needed. We were impressed with the clean & comfortable rooms. Plenty of towels and toiletries. We had fresh coffee and freshly baked cookies upon arrival at the front desk. Nice warm and inviting seating areas in the lobby with a double fireplace & flat screen TVs. There was also nice open indoor outdoor dining room area for breakfast & evening cocktails. Impressed by the friendly and professional staff. Conveniently located next to restaurants and shopping. We will be back. Great work Hilton Garden Inn!

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor along the back. Nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JLB106
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

We used to live in Greensboro and went back to visit friends. We chose HGI because of the pool, free Wifi and good location - close to highway and easy to get anywhere in town. We had a Queen Jr Suite for the 4 of us. The room is spacious with small fridge and microwave. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Back of the building faces highway while front faces quieter road.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank robinson2236
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

This hotel is a perfect place to stay for couples or families. We have stayed at the Hilton Garden in on at least three occasions over the years and each time we have always been amazed at the cleanliness and service at this hotel. The rooms are quiet and comfortable, the indoor pool and jacuzzi area are always kept clean and picked up and the food (we ordered room service and had breakfast in the dining room the following morning) was really very, very good. The service is another thing that must be mentioned. Everyone we encountered were professonial and courteous, whether early in the morning or later in the evening. My son had left behind in a drawer a pair of jeans and a hoodie that his uncle had given him, and the hotel called within 24 hours to ask if I would like the items mailed fed ex. We did, of course and they were sent promptly as requested. Cant recommend this hotel highly enough! Would not stay anywhere else in Greensboro. (and I am FROM there).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bsparkly
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel several times. It is a great bargain. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Service is very good. The breakfast is excellent! While it is located in a busy part of town, you do not hear the street noise at all. It is conveniently located near the highway so it is easy to get around. Beds are very comfy!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family