“Consistently Excellent”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This has become the favorite restaurant in the Greensboro area for my wife and myself. The ambiance is great. It has an intimate atmosphere with music that is soothing, but at a volume that allows for quiet conversation.

The service is outstanding and the food is excellent. I highly recommend the veal dishes. In a LOT of restaurants, what you THINK is veal is really pounded out pork. Giovanni's works with the real thing and does wonders with it. The Veal Marsala, Salt Imbocca, and al Giovanni all have a white wine sauce that is divine. The Veal Melanese is a lightly breaded and fried cutlet that is exceptional. The vegetable medly is cooked with just the right timing to keep some texture while having all the flavor. This is our "special occasion" restaurant of choice.

Some road-widening by the state is making it a bit challenging to enter and leave, but they have expanded the parking lot to make things easier and it is well worth dodging a few orange cones to get into! If you've never visited Giovanni's while in the Greensboro area, you are missing a treat. If you haven't been in a while, give it a try. It's excellent.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The worst dining experience I have ever had. I scheduled a reservation weeks in advance, to have them "accidently overbook by 200 people". Then, door man that hadn't shaved in a week proceeded to make jokes about the wait. He told us the wait was going to be "about 30 minutes." However, the wait wasn't 30 minutes it was 1 hour and 15 minutes. I would have left on the spot, but my girlfriend pleaded to stay because she had gotten dressed up. Finally, when we sat at the table, the waitress asked us if we would like an appetizer. We told her no, we would like to "only" (exact words) like the entrée. We order the veal, then she asked us if we'd like to "substitute the vegetables for pasta. We agreed, and then came the food. Note, the waitress had about 8 or so tables so she was clearly in a hurry.

I thought the food was great, but my girlfriends pasta had obviously been under a heat lamp. Furthermore, the veal was very small (about 5 oz total), but it was delicious. Needless to say we were glad to have the pasta. However, when the bill came, it was $86 minus the tip. The veal was $25 a piece, and the waitress charged us each for full price for the appetizer, when she did not specify the pasta was an appetizer. Remember, we never got the vegetables, which should have came with the meal anyways! So for $50 a plate, I got the worst service I have ever had, and heat lamp pasta.

Naturally, I complained, and in fairness they took off one of the appetizers. So the total was around $75. It was an embarrassing situation, because all I did was complain about waiting to my girlfriend, then I look like a cheap-skate by then complaining about the price. I know this is an expensive restaurant, and I was fully willing to pay a hefty price, but not if I was getting swindled to pass a quota (assumedly). Being that it was a terrible experience, I did something I have NEVER done in my life, I stiffed the waitress on a tip.

-Christopher M.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

While entertaining guests from out-of-town, we wanted to have Italian food and thus chose Giovanni's. It was a fantastic experience and the food was delicious. The chef/owner came by the table as we were having wine and recommended a special appetizer that he had made that day along with one we ordered. It was spectacular. While ordering the entrees I asked for an off-menu variation and they were more than happy to accommodate us. It was a great experience in a nice setting. The service was good and the special attention made me look like a rock-star to our guests. I cannot say enough about the restaurant or the chef/owner. Go!!!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

One expects New Year's Eve to be crowded in a nice restaurant and this was the case here. There were 4 of us and we had 8:00 reservations, but had to wait 20 minutes or so to be seated. Service was great, although wait staff was clearly extremely busy and hurried. Food was excellent, as was the presentation. I would enjoy going back again on a less crowded evening and feeling more relaxed.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My hubby and I checked out Giovanni's on New Year's Eve. We had heard good things about the food. When we arrived they had a short list of menu items available as they had a special New Year's Eve menu available. The prices were jacked up and the food was ok at best. My food came on a plate but there was so much sauce it looked as though I needed a bowl. I received chicken and sausage (perhaps some type of noodle should have been paired with it to soak up some of the sauce). When my food arrived it was warm, not hot. My husband ordered the Lobster Ravioli and while he said it was ok he would have proffered to have eaten at Villa Rosa's another Italian Restaurant in Greensboro.

Our waiter was busy doing who knows what. He was slow to take our order and even slower to refill our drinks. Other waiters and waitresses were nice enough to check in on us which was helpful. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone else nor do I plan on eating at Giovanni's again which is sad because it's so close to my house.