“Bar-B-Q With Flavor”

Stamey's Barbecue at the Coliseum
Ranked #57 of 901 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Most barbecue restaurants have introduced gas or electric cooking methods, but not us! We still slow cook our barbecue over a pit of hardwood hickory coals. The brick pits are completely enclosed, except for a bit of breathing room at the bottom. The hardwood coals are carefully monitored because they will dry the face of the pork if they get too hot. As each 15-pound pork shoulder cooks, the drippings fall onto the hot coals, sending the hickory smoke flavor into the pork. Once the tender pork is done, it is chopped or sliced to order, ensuring the freshest plate for our customers. No meal is complete without at least some of Stamey's keys to lasting barbecue success: Wood Cooked Pork Barbecue, Smiling service, Stamey's slaw, Fresh Brewed Sweet tea, Homemade cobbler and Hot Hushpuppies (introduced to North Carolina barbecue diners by founder Warner Stamey, himself!)
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Now this is my kind of barbecue. Not too strong-not too dry. We have moved out of the area, but make frequent trips back to get just one more quart. In addition, we usually get a double order of hush puppies and peach cobbler.

There are newer reviews for Stamey's Barbecue at the Coliseum

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am by no means a BBQ expert. Chose this place based on review in Trip Advisor. I can't say the food was bad. It was decent and very reasonably priced but it seems like it should have been better. I seem to remember seeing posted there perhaps on the menu that they have been around for 80 years and I'm sure this was once a great place. What I took away from my experience there was that 40-50 years ago it probably was very good but seems to have gone commercial. I had the sliced pork and chicken breast combo with hush puppies followed by the peach cobbler with ice cream. The pork was dry. The chicken seemed like it was baked in an oven then covered with BBQ sauce. The hush puppies looked like that were shot out of a cookie press.
The cobbler was good but served with soft serve ice cream. Again the food wasn't bad and the low prices are probably why it stays around based on volume but next time I'm in Greensboro I think I'll find a little hole in the wall place to go for dinner.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stamey's serves up good Carolina Style BBQ cheap. Swing in for a lunch break or for a family dinner. I personally like the Chopped Chicken BBQ which allows me to get something and allow me to feel that I'm still eating healthy. They have great Brunswick Stew and hush puppies as well. Price on average is about $6 a person before drink. They roast their own coffee there too : )

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I ordered the chicken bbq and it was good... My hubby ordered the chopped pork bbq and it was awesome! I also ordered the brunswick stew and it was okay. No alcohol here, just good food but it is worth the price and we enjoyed the acc touney.. All in all, we definitely would eat here again.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Chicken and pulled pork? Quality meat. Yum! Interesting fritters, ate them all. Great value. Peach cobbler was awesome, best I have ever had!