“No second chances”
Review of Gia

Gia
Reserve with OpenTable
Gia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 912 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Garden Road and Battleground Avenue
Description: Gia is a 19th century modern restaurant, featuring a variety of unique spaces. The main dining room is a vibrant space with high top tables cozied between the Drinking bar and Chef's bar. The Library and Parlor are tucked away in the back corners of the restaurant. The Library has an intimate feel and is ideal for dates, anniversaries, and parties for up to 14 guests. The Parlor has large floor to ceiling windows with a grand chandelier, private bar, and faux fireplace. This larger space is great for parties up to 40 guests or private sales meetings. The Lounge is nestled in the front corner. This space is unique with comfortable seating and a private bar. A perfect space for cocktail parties, viewing sporting events, or after dinner drinks. All of our rooms are A/V compatible for presentations. Finally, there is an outdoor balcony that overlooks New Garden Road, perfect for grabbing a cocktail with a friend. We offer our guests a unique menu that includes a variety of small plates that are sauteed or baked in a wood fire oven. We call our dishes "small plates" because we want all of our guests to try multiple items and share them with each other. We feature a Staples Menu including our "favorites" and our rotating Chef's Menu featuring seasonal flavors. We offer a wide variety of libations including an array of wines, craft beers and interpretations of vintage and handcrafted cocktails. We look forward to seeing you, Ciao!
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We will generally give a restaurant a couple of chances before we write them off. Gia's does not warrant a second chance. The noise level is very distracting in the main area so we requested a secluded "library" area. Several minutes later we received a menu. 15 minutes later a waitress took our drink order. That was it for 35 minutes. We had to go to the bar to ask what had happened to our drinks. It went downhill from there. We did get our wine and ordered several tapas. They came in no organized fashion. We ordered five different things and the olives had more flavor than anything else. Even a few grains of salt would have helped. It was a very disappointing experience.

3  Thank travellover021

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great selection of unique wines (try the white Cusumano for a balanced, crisp Sicilian wine), interesting selection of small plates, delicious desserts and sophisticated atmosphere. The ambiance is that of an upscale wine bar in Manhattan-- sumptuous decor, and just a wonderful experience overall. I would highly recommend the goat cheese and spinach flatbread and the tiramisu. Service was excellent too. Capped off the evening with a creamy cappuccino and biscotti. Check it out--but reservations are recommended; it gets busy.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Gia twice and loved it both times!! The food is excellent and the atmosphere is wonderful! Everything on the menu is delish...try the flatbreads!!! You definitely need a reservation. We had a reservation for a large group and had to wait a bit, but the owner Nino more than made up for it. He's wonderful and made sure that we were taken care of! This will definitely be one of our new favorite restaurants in town!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Visited GIA for my birthday dinner with my father this past saturday. We love the idea of "small plates"; it is our favorite way to dine so I thought this would be perfect. The place was loud and active but the music did not match with the vibe that they were going for...music was too loud and peppy in my opinion. We were seated in the back room, the "library", which was quieter and more private. I had the honoro vera (spanish red) which was excellent!!! We ordered quite a few plates...the anchovy flatbread, meat/cheese plate, filet, swordfish, crispy eggplant, and arugula salad. Everything was cooked perfectly, very unique and definitely with a Mediterranean flare. I would highly recommend the filet (flawless and the sauce was to die for) the flatbread (the bread was amazing) and the swordfish (if you like fish--cooked perfectly). We also had the chocolate cake (hey, it was my birthday!) and that was wonderful also. The only complaint we had was the service; my father asked for another glass of wine as he finished his first glass and about 10 minutes went by without a sign of our server! He came back after 10 minutes without the wine and said the bartender hadn't poured it yet. Another five minutes later he came back and apologized AGAIN for not bringing the wine (why even come back?) and said it would be right out, so I ordered another glass as well and in another five minutes they both came (we sort of stopped eating because we wanted to enjoy our food with wine). My dad wasn't happy. But overall it was a delicious, enjoyable experience. The place is new so I'll give them a break. Definitely try it if you like tapas and wine!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Definitely a unique, trendy place and the current hot spot in Greensboro. I've several times on various nights and it is always at or near capacity.

The menu is all tapas items. Most are enough to be shared, such as the flatbread, meat & cheese platter among others. I can't really go into detail on the actual menu, because it's changing soon!

But I can say every item I have tried (about 7 or 8) have been delicious. They pay attention to detail and use only quality ingredients. Nothing has tasted "stale" or "thawed out;" everything has tasted very fresh. Based on this, I found the food to be a very good value. As of this review, menu items range from $5 - $10. I think the flatbread is the best value on the menu.

As a trendy hot spot, the noise level is very high. It's a fun place and full of energy, but for a romantic evening, it may not be the best place to go. There tends to be large groups of 6 or 8 in the main bar area. There is a "Library" that caters to private events or large groups.

The bar has maybe 20 seats; it's a fairly large bar and they serve beer, wine and liquor. The wine list is very nice, but a bit pricey. As of this review, the beer list is lacking, but I heard they are revamping the beer list to include more craft beers.

The service has been generally good, but not great. In a place where everything is is pretty great, the service should match. The bartenders are hit-n-miss, especially the male bartenders. Annie is the best though! Very friendly, bubbly, likes to joke around and engage with the customers. The owner, Nino, also makes the rounds interacting with the customers. He'll address concerns on the spot and always has a smile on his face. Super nice guy.

Everything has really been outstanding, but the pricey wine list (friends have mentioned that to me as well) and the inconsistent service are my only minor complaints, resulting in an "Average" rating in those areas.

Been to Gia? Share your experiences!