“Hidden Gem”

Don Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #156 of 925 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed November 22, 2012

After hearing from my daughter about the delicious $45.00 a la carte Bibimbop at the famous Philadelphia restaurant- Morimoto's,, I decided to invite her to join me at Don's to try out their version of this Korean hot stone bowl dish. My daughter thinks Don's version is much tastier and it costs 1/4 of Morimoto's price. This Tate Street hidden gem operated by the husband and wife team of John and Kelly are welcoming, hospitable and the atmosphere is most pleasing. Other dishes are as good as Bibimbop and entrees are often accompanied by complimentary miso soup and other surprises. Don's is a favorite and regular dining spot for me for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We visited this place for the first time last week, solely on its proximity to the Greensboro Coliseum. And I'm so glad we did-- on a Friday night, the place was buzzing with like-minded folks who wanted some traditional and warming fare. You have your choice of Korean or Japanese (for the most part), and the food was outstanding, service was quick, and the little extras-- free ice cream and yogurty drink shots for dessert!-- were so welcome. The only downside-- and one not big enough for me to consider downgrading my rating-- was that the portions were smaller than I would have expected-- smaller than your normal Ramen house, for example. But the taste, friendliness, and details overcome any of that. We'll be back soon.