“Great food and warm hospitality!”

Chef Samir Restaurant and Catering
Ranked #60 of 886 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Egyptian
Good for: Families with children
Description: 336-852-9707
San Antonio, Texas
“Great food and warm hospitality!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I were in meeting up with my sons in Greensboro on their way to back to school. Rather than meet up at some chain restaurant, I went in search of some place unique and Chef Samir seemed like an interesting place. It exceeded expectations. Even though it's in a strip mall, much care has been taken to create a very clean, warm and cozy Egyptian eatery. The grape leaves were served warm and perfect. The generous chicken Schwarma plate with seasoned rice and side salad was seasoned to perfection. I especially appreciated the green salad made from the freshest green lettuce not crummy iceberg bagged lettuce! The roast chicken plate was also ordered - the best roast bird I have ever tasted! For dessert we ordered Kunafa (a type of baklava) and Sahlab, a hot milk drink with cinnamon and spice. Wonderful! The Sahlab could be my new addiction! The best part of our visit was the service. Chef Samir greeted us warmly at our table and the staff answered all our questions and never let our glasses run dry. Greensboro is lucky to have a great local spot for Egyptian cuisine!

• Visited March 2013

Greensboro, NC
“Good food. Good service.”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our lunch at Chef Samir. We tried the exotic sounding freshly-made hibiscus drink, spicy potatoes, chicken shawerma and vegetarian mixed platter. Everything was superb.
The spicy potatoes were tasty though I was expecting (and wanted to indulge in) spicy, deep-fried potatoes. They were spicy and good but just not deep-fried ;)
Our server was very prompt and checked on us often to make sure we had everything we needed. Chef Samir comes out to talk to you and see if everything is per your expectation. Once this place gets busy he might not be able to do that :)
A good find. We will be back.

• Visited February 2013
“Excellent food”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I discovered this restaurant a couple weeks ago, and it was so good, we had to get back as soon as possible. So, last night was our second outing. It's easy to see that Chef Samir really cares about great food. Everything we've had has been excellent. We don't normally get an appetizer and dessert in addition to our main meal when we go out, but at Chef Samir's, we couldn't pass up the opportunity. Among our favorite items so far are Spicy Potato and Egyptian Yogurt appetizers, Egyptian Mulu’ Khia soup, Chicken Shawerma, and Chef Samir Mixed Gril. For dessert, Umm Ali is amazing if you can wait the extra 15 minutes it takes to bake. If not, the rice pudding is excellent. In addition, I would be seriously remiss if I didn't mention the salad, which is served with every entree. It's not an afterthought like at most restaurants. Beautifully colorful, it is made of of the crisp portions of romaine lettuce, red cabbage, green and red bell peppers, cucumber, and tomato. I will go to Chef Samir's just for the salad.

Further, the service is friendly, prompt, and knowledgeable. Chef Samir makes an effort to greet each table personally. If this restaurant continues to gain in popularity like I think it will, he will be so busy I imagine he won't be able to get out of the kitchen!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank JenniferSalter
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Interesting Find in Greensboro”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I have been here five times in the last month...with friends and for business. The trick is to not order too much food. Plan to share the dishes and explore the menu. The Mediterranean Egyptian menu is really interesting. The hand made grape leaves are better than you will find anywhere in Greensboro. Homemade 'live' Greek yogurt with cucumbers is yummy and healthy (lots of natural probiotics for the flu season). They have a good selection of lunch specials and I really enjoyed the salad & cod with a tomato sauce. Having discovered the exceptional lentil soup along with a tabbouleh salad, I think it is the perfect lunch. His moussaka is outstanding! For dinner, seafood is his specialty. He can turn the lowly mullet into a taste sensation. Just order it when you can be patient and careful with the bones.

I've recommended Chef Samir's to several friends with no disappointments. Looking for an interesting new place for lunch or dinner? ...this is the place. No beer or wine, just good food.

1 Thank Gene H
NC
“Very Pleasant Surprise !!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Unexpected Surprise - Having driven by this place for months now, I was out Christmas shopping with my wife and suggested that we have an adventure and try some place new!! I suggested Chef Samir's and she agreed, upon entering little place which in the last few years has been a Vietnamese restaurant and then Chelito's Mexican restaurant to have another place to try that is Mediterranean and Egyptian place which kind of unique to the area... on entering Chef Samir's it is nicely appointed well lit at lunch! We were greeted by a server / hostess in a genuinely polite and courteous manner. We were seated in a booth and asked for our drink order, then our very gifted server brought our drinks and went over the menu with us and left us to look at it, We started with appetizers - we ordered the spicy potatoes and Calamari both of which came out in short order, and to our surprise were far better than expected the Calamari was cooked perfectly the sauce was piquant with out being overly hot - the potatoes were well seasoned and delightful to eat!! Our server was always within sight and always available as needed - I have forgotten her name at this moment but she was personable and exceeded expectations for a first time visit ... Our main entree came out - we had ordered Chef Samir Mixed Grill combo dinner - it had A combination of chicken kebab, shish kebab, Kofta, beef Shawerma, chicken Shawerma with Chef Samir’s Special Herb Rice... This was a most excellent choice and they allowed us to share this as one meal for both of us and it was a perfect serving size for us !!! Each one of the meats was tender and flavorful was served with the rice and a salad on the same plate - overall we had an exceptional meal and were absolutely satisfied Chef Samir stopped by to check on us as well as the wait staff ... We were fully appreciative of all of the attention and the great service we received, we will be returning soon to try more of the menu !!! To quote the Hobbit - this was an "Unexpected journey" with wonderful memories now fully attached to it!!! PS - I have always found that little whole in the wall places are often the best surprises!!!

• Visited December 2012