“Excellent food”

Dining options: Reservations
Description: 336-852-9707
“Excellent food”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I discovered this restaurant a couple weeks ago, and it was so good, we had to get back as soon as possible. So, last night was our second outing. It's easy to see that Chef Samir really cares about great food. Everything we've had has been excellent. We don't normally get an appetizer and dessert in addition to our main meal when we go out, but at Chef Samir's, we couldn't pass up the opportunity. Among our favorite items so far are Spicy Potato and Egyptian Yogurt appetizers, Egyptian Mulu’ Khia soup, Chicken Shawerma, and Chef Samir Mixed Gril. For dessert, Umm Ali is amazing if you can wait the extra 15 minutes it takes to bake. If not, the rice pudding is excellent. In addition, I would be seriously remiss if I didn't mention the salad, which is served with every entree. It's not an afterthought like at most restaurants. Beautifully colorful, it is made of of the crisp portions of romaine lettuce, red cabbage, green and red bell peppers, cucumber, and tomato. I will go to Chef Samir's just for the salad.

Further, the service is friendly, prompt, and knowledgeable. Chef Samir makes an effort to greet each table personally. If this restaurant continues to gain in popularity like I think it will, he will be so busy I imagine he won't be able to get out of the kitchen!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank JenniferSalter

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Interesting Find in Greensboro”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I have been here five times in the last month...with friends and for business. The trick is to not order too much food. Plan to share the dishes and explore the menu. The Mediterranean Egyptian menu is really interesting. The hand made grape leaves are better than you will find anywhere in Greensboro. Homemade 'live' Greek yogurt with cucumbers is yummy and healthy (lots of natural probiotics for the flu season). They have a good selection of lunch specials and I really enjoyed the salad & cod with a tomato sauce. Having discovered the exceptional lentil soup along with a tabbouleh salad, I think it is the perfect lunch. His moussaka is outstanding! For dinner, seafood is his specialty. He can turn the lowly mullet into a taste sensation. Just order it when you can be patient and careful with the bones.

I've recommended Chef Samir's to several friends with no disappointments. Looking for an interesting new place for lunch or dinner? ...this is the place. No beer or wine, just good food.

1 Thank Gene H
NC
“Very Pleasant Surprise !!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Unexpected Surprise - Having driven by this place for months now, I was out Christmas shopping with my wife and suggested that we have an adventure and try some place new!! I suggested Chef Samir's and she agreed, upon entering little place which in the last few years has been a Vietnamese restaurant and then Chelito's Mexican restaurant to have another place to try that is Mediterranean and Egyptian place which kind of unique to the area... on entering Chef Samir's it is nicely appointed well lit at lunch! We were greeted by a server / hostess in a genuinely polite and courteous manner. We were seated in a booth and asked for our drink order, then our very gifted server brought our drinks and went over the menu with us and left us to look at it, We started with appetizers - we ordered the spicy potatoes and Calamari both of which came out in short order, and to our surprise were far better than expected the Calamari was cooked perfectly the sauce was piquant with out being overly hot - the potatoes were well seasoned and delightful to eat!! Our server was always within sight and always available as needed - I have forgotten her name at this moment but she was personable and exceeded expectations for a first time visit ... Our main entree came out - we had ordered Chef Samir Mixed Grill combo dinner - it had A combination of chicken kebab, shish kebab, Kofta, beef Shawerma, chicken Shawerma with Chef Samir’s Special Herb Rice... This was a most excellent choice and they allowed us to share this as one meal for both of us and it was a perfect serving size for us !!! Each one of the meats was tender and flavorful was served with the rice and a salad on the same plate - overall we had an exceptional meal and were absolutely satisfied Chef Samir stopped by to check on us as well as the wait staff ... We were fully appreciative of all of the attention and the great service we received, we will be returning soon to try more of the menu !!! To quote the Hobbit - this was an "Unexpected journey" with wonderful memories now fully attached to it!!! PS - I have always found that little whole in the wall places are often the best surprises!!!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Nobody67
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Every dish is excellent”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I need to write a book to describe all of the wonderful aspects of this restaurant, I will try to stick to the most amazing bits, and you just have to go and get the experience yourself. When we arrive, a gracious man shows us to our table. He asks right away if we are new to the restaurant, and we say we are. He gives us table settings and menus, and we're immediately excited by the descriptions of the food. He returns, is very helpful with the drink order, giving us samples to help us decide. Then the chef, Samir, comes to welcome us personally and help us with our food choices. We get 4 hot appetizers, a salad and two soups to share. All of it was perfectly prepared, and each portion was so generous we had to take some home. We also took some deserts to go and got help as well choosing these from another customer waiting for a large take-out order. We will be back soon and very often. I have a feeling this will be our home away from home.

• Visited December 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Classy, inexpensive, and tasty! 3.5-star dining with 5-star food!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I ate dinner at Chef Samir's recently and, for a little over $30; we tried Egyptian drinks, enjoyed falafel and hummus appetizers, and had two enormous platters of chicken and beef shawarma (we took most of it home for seconds -- the large salad and seasoned rice could've been a meal by themselves!). The food was excellent. Additionally, our waitress was very nice and the décor was pleasant.

Still, the hanging and track-lighting left something to be desired and the music was a bit loud at times. It also felt a little like our meal was being rushed (even though we were the only people there). We had eaten a little more than half of our appetizers when the entrées came out and it seemed like every 5 minutes that our waitress came to ask if everything was still OK. To be fair, it was getting late (around 9pm or so). These are just minor quibbles though.

The most exciting part of the night was that the chef came out and talked us through our order! This was very helpful since we didn't know what anything was (except the hummus, of course).

After this experience, I had some friends come in from out of town. They were thinking Ruby Tuesdays might be nice... but, when I realized how close it was to Chef Samir's, we made other plans! Once again, the food was fabulous and we enjoyed catching up over lunch.

• Visited September 2012