“New aquarium causing parking issued. Go during week.”

Greensboro Science Center
Ranked #2 of 76 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the wonders of an aquarium, zoo, science museum, and 3D theater all in one attraction! See sharks, penguins, otters, stingrays, a fishing cat and other amazing animals from around the world in the NEW Carolina SciQuarium. Get eye-to-eye with tigers, meerkats, monkeys, crocodiles and other unique animals in Animal Discovery Zoo. Roam through Dinosaur Gallery, take a journey through the human body, experience extreme weather, and have fun in Kid's Alley in the Museum. Watch amazing 3-D shows that pop out of the screen in the OmniSphere Theater.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been waiting for the aquarium to open for a year. My grandchild loves the Nature Science center. Since the completion of the aquarium they have changed their name to " Greensboro Science Center", changed their membership levels and requirements and added a new admission area and increased admission prices.

While the aquarium is a nice addition and the new building is huge on the outside ( and my favorite parking area is now covered up by it) I was disappointd by the actual exhibits. After all the hoopla over the last year I was expecting more. What is there is nice, but if you have been to the aquariums in Atlanta or Chattanooga like I have there is no comparison. It is also causing large crowds on the weekend- so go during the week like I did. Either go early in the morning when they first open or later in the afternoon.

Membership changes- there is no longer family or grandparent memberships- you buy a membership for each member of your family up to 10 per household. As a Greensboro resident it will now cost me $97.20, each member of my family will have to have a picture taken and a membership card issued to them. Additionally they have changed the admission requirements for
reciprocity from the NC Zoo, Sciworks, NC aquariums and a couple of other science places. Now instead of free admission it will cost you 50% of the regular admission.

A new show has been added " Meerkat Musical" and is in the remolded and updated Adventure therater. It is a cute show and the new AC effects are well done. Some of the other inside exhibits have been moved around. A new cafe has been added where the old gift was- a nice touch. The food was pretty good. We just had coffee and a cookie. There is a new gift shop- I think it is smaller than the old one and doesn't have as many less expensive objects for sale.

Outside zoo has a new Red Panda on exhibit. The tiger exhibit is always a hit and the maned wolve exhibit is nice with the long elevated walkway. Some new animals have been added to the animal discovery area.

This is a great place to visit with younger children - my grandchild has aged out of some of the exhibits. They do offer summer camps and while we didn't do any this year, last summer the grandchild was enrolled in two different robotic camps and enjoyed them.

The center has grown over the years, but I am not as happy with the lastest changes as I have been with others. To build this new addition many trees were removed, an outdoor brick scuplture was removed ( hope it is moved back ), a pond was displaced . The new entrance feels sterile and there is a bad glare on the glass so you can not really see the person you are talking too. I guess that is progress.

1  Thank ncsearch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)
All reviews
"new addition"
"great place for kids"
"children and adults"

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is nothing extraordinary, but is something kids seem to enjoy. It can get pretty crowded. There were no parking spaces available on the Saturday I visited. I had to park in a neighborhood across the street. I expected the addition of the aquarium to be pretty impressive. It was just okay. If you give them a Greensboro zip code you save $1 per admission ticket, so look one up if you don't actually live in Greensboro.

2  Thank kydizzle
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My 10-yr-old son loves to go to the Greensboro Science Center. There are so many things to see and do. If you are visiting, you might want to take two days so that you can experience each thing thoroughly. Or pick the parts you want to see most beforehand. If you are local, you can go at different times to fit your schedule.

Some of the sections we enjoyed most recently are the health/body exhibit, Animal Discovery, and the Carolina SciQuarium.

HealthQuest type exhibit: Hands-on and electronic exhibits meet the needs of many different learners. You can feel the difference between a bone with osteoperosis and a healthy bone. Learn about the nervous system, and so much more. My son surprised me because the diabetes exhibit had a menu selector game which he liked the most. And of course, there is the popular sewer pipe, which lets kids enjoy the smell of intestinal gas. :)

Animal Discovery: Hard to describe because it has so many elements. It includes a type of petting zoo/exhibit center in a building, a barn with that type of animals, and a mini-zoo. The meerkats and tigers are popular. I liked the galapagos turtles. We didn't get to see everything the last time we were there. There is also one of those walk-on fountain play areas. I think.

Carolina SciQuarium: Wow! The newest addition to the science center has a huge shark tank, penguins, otters, stingrays, a sloth, and a fishing cat. The fishing cat was my son's favorite, and I can see why. Marvelous animal. The point I enjoy most is learning about the animals from the animal keepers, who give talks during feedings and at other times.

They have play areas for the little kids as well as lots of interactive exhibits for the older kids.

More favorite things that we didn't get to do at the last visit: Public shows. The staff has for years created funny shows with Indiana Bones etc. I love their ingenuity and intereaction with the audience. They use a/v tools and people for a great experience. The more recent Meerkat Musical is not enjoyable to me. Too loud and too long with operatic-type voices.

The Omnisphere is good if you want to watch one of those dome-type shows.

The Greensboro Science Center is on an upward march as the creative staff and fabulous long-term planners unveil new and well-designed exhibits to delight and educate the public. I'm quite proud to live in their city.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We always enjoy this little zoo & science center. The walk through zoo is a nice walk and the science center is interesting and expanding.