“Great Animal Exhibits”

Greensboro Science Center
Ranked #2 of 78 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the wonders of an aquarium, zoo, science museum, and 3D theater all in one attraction! See sharks, penguins, otters, stingrays, a fishing cat and other amazing animals from around the world in the NEW Carolina SciQuarium. Get eye-to-eye with tigers, meerkats, monkeys, crocodiles and other unique animals in Animal Discovery Zoo. Roam through Dinosaur Gallery, take a journey through the human body, experience extreme weather, and have fun in Kid's Alley in the Museum. Watch amazing 3-D shows that pop out of the screen in the OmniSphere Theater.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My children love this place! We have been members for just over a year now and always seem to find our way there when the weather is nice. The animal exhibits are great and there are also plenty of indoor activities to keep everyone busy. The keeper talks are always informative and engaging and my boys (2 & 4) really enjoy the opportunity to feed the sheep and goats. We're looking forward to the Sciquarium expansion opening this Spring!

1  Thank Emily B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)
All reviews
"new addition"
"great place for kids"
"children and adults"

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a great place to take kids. It has been around for years but they are constantly trying to find ways to improve it. I really enjoy taking people who have not been here before.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We took 2 eight year olds here to see the Mummy exhibit. They weren't crazy about the mummies & I wasn't crazy about the cost of that exhibit but they loved the rest of the museum.

There is a very well done health exhibit that we all learned from. I loved that it also included a section on hospice! I have some health challenges & appreciated being able to sit on a comfortable couch in the health exhibit as well. This would be a good place to bring a grandparent with mobility issues.

The theater has always been a favorite of our daughter and they have done some really cool improvements there. The staff does an excellent job of engaging the kids during the show and it should not be missed. There is no charge for the show.

One area had a cool tornado machine that our daughter wanted to check out but we didn't have $2 on us. She also wanted to do an interactive ship ride for an additional cost. I'm not sure how I feel about being "nickel & dined". On one hand, I think it is important to support museums but on the other hand I can't help but compare this to other museums where extras like that are included in the price of admission.

The girls really enjoyed the exhibits inside. They only disappointing thing for them was that they were not able to hold snakes like they had in the past. I hope this has just been re-homed.

I was impressed with the areas for younger kids. They were enclosed and interactive and we would have loved them when our daughter was 2-5. This would be a great spot for a preschool playdate.

Due to my mobility issues and the cold weather we skipped the animals outside. We have enjoyed this area in the past and would recommend it to others.

The gift shop has been expanded and has a good selection at a variety of prices. The prices were reasonable and I loved seeing a pressed penny machine at the door.

Money Saving Tip: We were able to find a coupon on Visitor's Association website and were happy to be able to print it out rather than having to request an information packet.

General Tip: bring quarters and pennies for the pressed penny machine as well as pennies for the spinning coin collector.

Dining Tip: If you are not from Greensboro, I would recommend heading over to the Harris Teeter on Friendly Avenue (about 5 miles) for lunch. They have a great selection of hot & cold bars and are kid friendly. There is a small area for dining in.

2  Thank Stacy_AGraham_NC
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Spent an afternoon at the Science Center & Zoo. Despite construction & therefore, some closed exhibits, we enjoyed our visit (2 adults, 2 kids ages 10 & 11) Only bought the tickets for science center & zoo, not the mummy exhibit or omnisphere movie (limited budget). Kids had a great time, loved the Wallaby Walkthrough. Pack a picnic lunch - picnic tables outside. If you go with kids be sure to have them use the restroom before getting too far to the back of the zoo. If you are by the tigers and wolves and your little one needs to "go", it's a long walk back to the restrooms. It was nice to have the science center for indoor activities exhibits and also get outdoors for the zoo animals. Just remember, its not all that large, but certainly enjoyable & could easily spend 2 hours, or 3 if you see & do everything.

1  Thank Mtns2SeaAndInBetween