“Will never go back”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I travel a lot for business. Whether for business or personal, I research and will often seek out Beard Award winning chefs/restaurants. I simply love the entire dining experience. That said, a dining experience is seldom perfect, and I do not believe such is a reasonable expectation. But certain staples of a dining experience can make or break the evening.. Some of my dining experiences include Gary Danko (SF), Cyrus (Healdsburg) and Spiaggios (Chicago). At Cyrus, my party of four was 30 mins late for our reservation due to my mistake. I share this with you in that the treatment my party/mother recovering from cancer and my wife received from the hostess at Salvino's was inexcusable. She claimed to be the owner. The pure arrogance and rudeness was unlike that which I have ever heard of or indirectly experienced. Whether we were 10 or 15 mins late or not, we called to let them know prior to arriving. That said, I loved the food and our service at the table . But why anyone would want to visit a restaurant whose owner has NO APPRECIATION for its guest would be beyond my comprehension.. If you are one who can enjoy a meal despite this characteristic of the owner, you will enjoy the food prepared by the chef. But I just assume not know about it. As the owner does not deserve your patronage.

6  Thank Mtnbrookie

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Hands down...best italian food ever!! I must reccomen the gnocchi appetizer! It's simply a must!!

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Wow. Absolutely the best Italien restaurant I've ever been to. Fantastic food. Terrific service by Scott. Sal (chef/owner) visits every table personally. Makes me wish I lived in Greensboro. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

This place is off this planet - I had grouper, escargot, pasta fagoli and cannoli and they were perfect. Even better than my spelling. Great Wine List, Great Service, Great Atmosphere and unbelieveable Value. The best I have eaten in years - including Europe.
I can't say enough about this place. It will be a guaranteed stop when I am in the Triad from now on.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

This small place on the side of a strip mall on Battleground Avenue is one of the best, classical Italian restaurants in this area, probably in North Carolina. Recently, within the same week, we ate here and at Vivace in North Hills in Raleigh, rated as perhaps the best Italian restaurant in the Raleigh area. Salvino Cucina serves more of the traditional dishes, but in areas where the dishes overlapped (calamari, veal, pasta) Salvino's was as good or better.

The Escargots and the Calamari Fritti are both excellent starts. The potato and spinach Gnocchi is a little too rich for my taste due to the gorgonzola cream sauce. The Pasta & Fagioli soup is nice as well, small portion, but tasty.
Their signature Lasagna dish is that for a reason - the best I've had, anywhere. The Scaloppini di Vitillo Portofino is rich and large, enough for two. Interestingly, spaghetti is on the menu only as a side dish - and no meatballs.

They only take reservations for large parties, and at times on the weekend it can be crazy at peak times, and frankly, the seating is not always done on a first come, first serve basis, and they can be a little arrogant about it. I have chosen to avoid those time periods here.
The wait staff is excellent and attentive, and add significantly to the overall experience of dining here.