“Great Place to Go Before a Show at the Coliseum”
Review of Josephine's Kitchen Catering - CLOSED

Josephine's Kitchen Catering
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: ONLY provides catering services
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great Place to Go Before a Show at the Coliseum”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went to Josephine's before a performance at the Coliseum and will definitely do so again as it is probably the best option for a gourmet meal in the immediate vicinity. Living in Winston-Salem (30 minutes away), I doubt i would make the trip just for dinner. The menu is definitely interesting and varied. We all enjoyed the bone marrow and foie gras appetizer. I liked the fact that they had small plate options...my mahi mahi portion size was perfect, although the "clam chowder" sauce was a bit on the bland side and thinner than I was expecting. I loved the decor - an interesting combination of rustic and industrial. The cheesecake was amazing. Overall I thought it was good, not great - but perhaps I went in with my expectations too high given the rave reviews I have seen from other diners.

• Visited November 2011

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Nice, But A Little Tweeking Is Needed”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Josephine's Bistro has been open about a year now, and from the looks of things they are building a loyal customer base. On our recent visit, several parties were greeted warmly by the staff, including a nice sized group at the very small bar.

The inside is well decorated, soft, warm and well lit, but it is a small place, and the tables are rather close together, so that the conversations of other tables will float through your own (some more often and more loudly than others), limiting the feeling of intimacy. We were welcomed and quickly seated, menus provided with updates on the specials for the day, and our beverage order quickly moved on to the bar.

We started with the House Made Mushroom Ravioli and The Chicken Liver Pate, which had replaced the Foie Gras I had anticipated ordering. The mushroom ravioli was tender, and rich with great mushroom flavor, well supported by white truffle oil and spinach pesto - nice start.

The Chicken Liver Pate was a very soft version, more in the mold of a pudding than a pate, the taste mild and yet flavorful. It was accompanied by golden raisins, figs, and a relish loaded with a nice green pepper taste and some heat, and slices of an excelent crusty bread - another good dish.

The Buttermilk Sage Fried Chicken was fried but there was not a typical crust, more like the crust on KFC original, but this chicken was so much better - it was tender and moist, with great flavor. The fingerling potatoes and the spinach were well suited for the dish. A very nice dish.

I can not say the same the same about the Flounder dish, it was too little fish, with too little flavor, accompanied by too much sauce , and too many competiting flavors. I simply did not care for this dish.

The Flourless Torte was excellent - they do all the desserts and breads in house, and they do it well. The service here was about as good as it gets - friendly, attentive, but not hovering. Steve waited on us, and he was exceptional - knowledgeable and informative. All the staff we interacted with were the same way, nice group. Now it was early, and not crowded, so I'm sure things would be a little different on a crowded Saturaday night, but I think these folks would get the job done.

This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but the value, quality, and level of service are in line with the pricing. They have daily food and drink specials which are priced nicely - like a $5 Martini using the house vodka. This is a place worth a visit.

• Visited May 2011
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Second visit just as good as the first.”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We took friends to Josephine's tonight and had a wonderful meal. My spouse and I split the arugala salad with a fried egg (add a dollar for an extra egg). They will split any salad for you with no problems and each will have plenty. My husband had the crispy duck breast and I had the scallops. Each were delicious. Our friends had the salad and mahi and Josephine's flatbread with fontina cheese and figs. They loved them. The wine list is extensive. Unfortunately, we all were too full for dessert but maybe next time. The prices are reasonable and the waitstaff is very good. We will be adding this restaurant to our list of those to visit from time to time.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Linda B
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great neighborhood restaurant!”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Great pate and scallops! AND, a friendly staff. The wine list was extensive.

Visited November 2011
North Carolina
“Long-awaited neighborhood gem”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have visited Josephine's 10 to 12 times in the past year. They are consistently above the other area restaurants without the inflated prices. Waitstaff is courteous and knowledgeable. The food is superb with a frequently changing menu as well as daily specials. This is our local favorite and would recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

• Visited October 2011