“I feel like this place is ONE step from GREAT”

Southern Lights Bistro
Ranked #85 of 904 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Markland Dr.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Southern Lights has GREAT food....but it's missing something.

The food is good. They had an extensive Valentine's Day menu but we came back a month later and the menu was halved. I missed all the great items that were featured for vday.

They serve you bread with butter packets. This REALLY down plays the upscale restaurant. Also, the salads are very small and leave something to be desired, however, they are offered free with entree so can't really complaint about that.

The atmosphere is ok. Tends to have an older crowd. They do have a nice outdoor area that I can't wait to try when it warms up.

I hope to see a change in the menu soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This bistro definitely has a different dining experience to other restaurants. It's very elegant and classy. The walls are dotted with beautiful paintings of North Carolina scenery from local artists and the music and atmosphere is warm and sumptuous. It's definitely somewhere to go for a special occasion as it's definitely not your average restaurant. The service was prompt, pleasant and professional. We ordered the scallops and ahi tuna. The scallops were on the large side and it was a larger portion than most restaurants. It was cooked to perfection and very well seasoned. The ahi tuna for me was other worldly in taste, flavour and texture. It's definitely the best ahi tuna I have ever had!! I would highly recommend it. All in all the food, and ambiance and price are evenly matched. Well worth the visit!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Really great quality food with a creative menu. The Pesto Pasta Salad was delish and everyone at our table enjoyed their meals. Great atmosphere and I look forward to trying the patio this Spring.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

$27 for an order of shrimp and grits which consisted of the following: an average, at best, salad...6 medium sized shrimp...2 small and totally undistinguished grit cakes...an overabundance of overly seasoned sauce with an excess of peppers and onions.
Have dined at many very good restaurants in Greensboro including: 1618, Undercurrent, Table 16, Lucky 32, etc...etc...this is not even close.
Very disappointing to say the least...will not go back.

1  Thank opusiam
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Visited Southern Lights on a Saturday night along with another couple. After arriving early with a 7:00 PM reservation we wandered to the bar. Bar is very small but we were met with good service. Restaurant decor is pleasing. We were seated at our reserved time. Wait staff was adequate and handled our table very well. The food was presented nicely and tasted great. I had a Salmon special and my wife had Sea Bass. I have to admit that we had not been to S Lights since opening at this new location. I would return. Good Job.