“Break from the norm”

Cuisines: Brazilian
Atlanta, Georgia
“Break from the norm”
Reviewed December 14, 2010

In town on a business trip. Driving around for a place for dinner, we spotted Monesi Brazilian Buffet. "Let's try it." Glad we did. It wasn't busy (early dinner), service was good, and atmosphere was pleasant. Then we stepped up to the buffet. Great selection of salads and sides. I liked he calamari salad and a brazilian chicken salad that was quite yummy. The various entrees looked fresh and appealing. Selections included pork loin, chicken, beef, fish: ie Chicken stroganoff, Black Beans with kilbasa, and a beef lasagna. The meatloaf was not my favorite - just particular about my seasonings. Nice looking desserts... over did the buffet. Returned to the buffet for favorites like Feta Fritters and pasta salad.
Liked the option of all-you-can-eat for $15 or one-time plate priced by the pound.
Glad we broke from the norm and tried something different.

Winston-Salem, NC
“Excellent, thumbs up!”
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I've dined at Monesi on several occasions and each time I've had an enjoyable dining experience. Even allowing for the general buffet caveat (ie, the food is not served fresh off the kitchen line as it would be in a plated-to-order restaurant), without exception the food has been fresh and very flavorful. The overall selection of entrees and salads is also excellent. I've particularly enjoyed the Brazilian collard greens and black beans and pork, as well as the variety of cold salads.

The ambience at Monesi is surprisingly nice for a buffet restaurant. The overall dining area is small, seating a maximum of perhaps 60 at a time (so you don't get the "hog trough" feel you'd normally get at a typical buffet restaurant), with a pleasant contemporary decor. You also serve yourself on actual chinaware rather than some "industrial buffet plasticware", so you get the feel of a more upscale restaurant in a cozier setting. Service has been attentive and pleasant each time I've dined there-perhaps precisely because they're not running around among multitudes of diners, in fact.

Monesi is a bit pricier than most standard buffets ($15 pp) but you're also getting much better fare than most buffets, and for that matter you don't have to endure the "buffet crowd" atmosphere that you find elsewhere. The higher price is probably what keeps the "cattle car" crowd away to begin with, so all in all it's worth it to pay a few dollars more for better prepared fare and a more pleasant dining experience, imo.

My understanding is that Monesi is a sister restaurant to Leblon Brazilian Steakhouse. If you're looking to experience Brazilian-style cuisine in a less formal and less expensive setting than Leblon, I'd definitely recommend Monesi. If it were a closer trip for me I'd dine at Monesi at least once a month.

If you're going, be sure to check Monesi's website for discount dining offers (eg, $5 off your bill) as well.