International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 74 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This museum was the only reason I visited Greensboro - and it was worth it. Fantastic museum, great tour - this is a must see. You will learn so much about Civil Rights history, could not recommend this enough.

There are newer reviews for International Civil Rights Center & Museum

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Finally, I got a chance to visit this museum after many years. I've known the founder for many years and he gave me a private tour of this great museum. After about an hour I learned soo much of the history of the lunch counter.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you have seen or plan to see the movie "The Butler" your next stop must be the civil rights museum in Greensboro,NC.
It was much more than we expected. Our tour guide was Ms.Anita Johnson, she was phenomenal (everything a tour guide should be, dramatic,passionate,knowledgable, friendly, welcoming, clear and excellent presentation skills).

The exhibits were artistically demonstrated and integrated quite a bit of technology.

The most incredible part of the journey is the actual Woolworth counter that the sit in occurred, they have the real store in the museum. Mind blowing! As you watch the sequence of events unfolding on video, as you are standing in the store.

The facility is much larger inside than it looks. It houses several rooms for banquets, classrooms, workshops, and a museum store. The director made me aware of the various types of functions that canbe held there.

I got more than expected and definitely encourage others to go. It's a quick trip from the Triangle and 25 mins from Winston Salem.

1  Thank Ksb2012
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I brought my 10-year-old daughter with me to tour the ICRM. I wanted her to be exposed to this history. I know at her age it is just a surface exposure, catching pieces here and there: names, photos, feelings. Something like this can not be absorbed in one sitting for someone who has never experienced it. I grew up in the deep South, so I know. She doesn't, but she should. She must or we risk repetition. That's why I took her.

I was surprised to discover that unencumbered by this lived history, she took away ideas about the changes an individual can accomplish. She told me she saw heroes and people who stood up for themselves and what they believed. She jumped past the cruelties and the injustices and focused on strength and resolve.

And this is why a visit to the ICRM is worth your time. It is painful for those of us who lived it, but it is also full of the hope and courage of humanity.

This isn't a place I'd recommend for young children. My daughter and I are used to going to museums and she goes into absorb mode when it is just the two of us and she handled it very well. A rambunctious child would be out of place in this environment. My daughter and I also skipped the more graphic exhibits depicting the deadly violence of that time. This is definitely an experience where you should gauge the maturity and respectfulness of the child prior to going.

The guided tour was excellent and an unexpected bonus. I enjoyed having someone walk us through the exhibits. We were in a larger group of 10 or so and I did feel a bit rushed to keep moving. There were many interactive displays, but we weren't given the time to really engage with them as I would have liked. However, I preferred having the guide over having more time. The museum would probably do well with with an audio tour that would allow a self-paced visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This museum is a necessary must for the city where the sit-ins began, (thanks to the college students of the historically Black Universities, who took a stand and changed the course of history). It allows you to take a step back in American history and relive what it was like. The true meaning of perseverance coming up from then, until now, and onward.

1  Thank rita d