“Life Changing”

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 75 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've lived in North Carolina for 16 of the past 23 years. My father served in the National Guard during the Civil Rights movement, so I was of course familiar with the story of the Woolworth Sit-ins that helped spark the Civil Rights movement in the 60s. Yet my tour of the museum opened my eyes in unexpected ways. It was literally a life-changing experience.

The museum is beautifully laid out and the exhibits are incredible, blending multimedia with traditional displays. The tours are all guided, and our guide (Jeanne) was an incredible story-teller. She explained the details of some of the more horrifying moments of racism and oppression with compassion but without pulling any punches. I found myself frequently moved to tears, yet by the time the tour ended, I left full of hope and determination to continue the important work of those Civil Rights leaders who started this important fight for equity.

I recommend this museum as a must see if you're in the Greensboro area.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A few friends and I came to the museum last week and were very moved by everything we saw on the tour. The photos and videos are sad and inspiring, and seeing the actual lunch counter from the sit-ins all those years ago is just profound. This is a museum everyone should visit at least once.
Other reviewers have mentioned this and I agree that it would be wonderful if we could have either slowed down (our tour guide was terrific, but so fast!) or been given the opportunity to go back and revisit certain exhibits. It also was very disappointing to learn that we couldn't take pictures. I've visited the Smithsonian and seen the piece of the lunch counter there, and was allowed to take pictures, so it was surprising that we were denied the opportunity here.
Overall however, this was a great experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We found the guided tour to be a very powerful experience; our guide was excellent, and as much of the history is very disturbing, it seemed frighteningly current with the state of race relations in the US today.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My aon and I visited this museum today. My son is studying poltiics at university and has previously studied history. I am also very interested in American history so this was a must for us and we were not disappointed.

I'm not usually a fan of guided tours but our gudie was excellent. Very informative also using humour where appropriate to lighten the mood. The film clips are very well done and bring the subject to life. And for the museum to be housed in the Woolworth store where the Greensboro protests took place was very powerful.

My only criticism is that although the tour gudie does a great job, he didn't allow enough time to read the information and look at the exhibits. We were constantly having to move on. I see ither people have made this comment and I think the museum needs to address this.

You are not allowed to take photos inside which is a pity but perhaps understandable.

Nevertheless this is well worth visiting. I learned a great deal and was very moved and humbled.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

A well-informed tour guide walks the group through each exhibit, explaining what is being viewed and answering questions. Ours was particularly effective with the elementary age children in the group. What is really good about the location is that it is the location of the Woolworth's and that the lunch counter has been preserved in one large section.