“Very moving”

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Chippenham, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Very moving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

My aon and I visited this museum today. My son is studying poltiics at university and has previously studied history. I am also very interested in American history so this was a must for us and we were not disappointed.

I'm not usually a fan of guided tours but our gudie was excellent. Very informative also using humour where appropriate to lighten the mood. The film clips are very well done and bring the subject to life. And for the museum to be housed in the Woolworth store where the Greensboro protests took place was very powerful.

My only criticism is that although the tour gudie does a great job, he didn't allow enough time to read the information and look at the exhibits. We were constantly having to move on. I see ither people have made this comment and I think the museum needs to address this.

You are not allowed to take photos inside which is a pity but perhaps understandable.

Nevertheless this is well worth visiting. I learned a great deal and was very moved and humbled.

Visited July 2013

Gaithersburg, Maryland
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

A well-informed tour guide walks the group through each exhibit, explaining what is being viewed and answering questions. Ours was particularly effective with the elementary age children in the group. What is really good about the location is that it is the location of the Woolworth's and that the lunch counter has been preserved in one large section.

Greenville, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great museum but needed more time than tour guide gave us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

The museum was very informative and worth the money. Even though I was born and raised in NC, I still learned a lot about the role of our state in the civil rights movement. Great presentation and displays.

The only thing I didn't like was that the tour guide moved too quickly. My husband and I did not get to read everything that we wanted to, and felt like we were rushed. Wish that we could have been allowed to return to some parts of the museum and spend more time on our own.

Visited May 2013
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Found this last minute and glad I did. Took the tour and it was about an hour and the guide was very informative and entertaining. Definitely worth the time for a history lesson.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Piece of History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Being the site of one the most famous protests of the civil rights movement, is enough to make it worth the visit. The sit-in at Woolworth was one of those seminal moments in the movement that sparked many other people & protests. It's relatively short, but it tries to touch on various points in African Americans civil rights history. It can at least get kids & those unfamiliar with civil rights history thinking.

The young man conducting he tours was excellent & enthusiastic. He was one of the better guides I've seen at museum exhibits. it would be nice to be able to do self-guided tours, to take more time in parts. Also, it it terrible that hey don't allow photos of at least he actual counter area. this isn't really one of those areas where it would damage the exhibit, and it is our American history, after all.