“Lots of history” 3 of 5 bubbles

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Greensboro
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lots of history”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

It could have had more in it but it is worth going to see.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Phillis G

Springfield, IL
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Good Overview of the Greensboro Sit-Ins”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I wasn't quite sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. While it is called a museum it might be better to think of it as a historic site. You take a tour through the lunch counter area and exhibits. Our guide was knowledgable but had given the tour so many times it seemed memorized. For someone interested in history seeing where important events took place is always moving. In addition to the lunch counter there were other exhibits about the Jim Crow laws. All of this was things I've heard about but seeing always makes a stronger impression.

Visited April 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Modern displays and visuals.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

It is a pretty amazing place. Go see it, it is worth the trip.

Visited October 2011
New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Inspiring and an honest look at the town and events leading up to the Civil Rights Movement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

We brought our children here on a break from furniture shopping in High Point, and found the tour very imformative. Some parts were a bit graphic, so if you have young children you might want to be prepared for heart wrenching questions post tour. The tour guide was excellent and the information relevant. My mother in law had lived in Greensboro in the early 60's and could assure us that time moved slowly here even after these events. She distinctly remembered that on Wed evening the town became a different place. Having come from the North it was a shocking adjustment. But times thankfully have changed and now we can learn from these experiences and pass the history of these brave men and women onto our children.

Visited April 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Glad I went”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I knew I would enjoy this museum as soon as I read about it. I took my daughter, son and granddaughter. Because they think of me being nerdy, they thought it would not be interesting. I wanted my children and grandchild to understand why we have to appreciate what we have now. PS also loved the city.

Visited September 2011