“Nice gem downtown”

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 72 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Nice gem downtown”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

A really nice gem to take the family. Very educational and moving.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Room for improvement, but still worthwhile, particularly for youngsters.”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

First, the positive. The museum was easy to find and we found on street parking. I did not see any parking that was designated for the site, so I paid $2.00 in a two hour meter less than a block from the museum. The outside retains the classic look of a Woolworth's and is very nice. There was a huge line to pay for entry, but it moved very quickly. The lady at the counter had a warm manner despite the crowd. This museum requires that you be guided through it. I liked this way of seeing the exhibits (but it moved a little quickly). You are guided through a number of themes, being handed off between guides at each theme. This operated smoothly and the guides were all exceptional.
The material covered is pretty basic and didn't delve too far beyond the primary school level; therefore I see it as being very good for young people, but probably not for anyone hoping for a "deep dive" into the personalities, themes and events of the American Civil Rights Movement". As I said above, the tour moved a little too quickly for me, and I was not able to spend the time that I would have liked at each theme. Overall, the calibre of the exhibits was very good. Another shortcoming (as I perceived it) was the "international" portion of the story. Other civil rights movements are addressed in passing and the connections - and there are connections- are not clearly made. This is not really an issue for me, I just think that by calling it the "International" Civil Rights Museum that they should do more.
This is an extremely young museum and I believe that it will mature in ways that address the issues above.
The only unpleasant aspect of our visit was the process of getting to the tour. The lady cashier left us a little in the dark about what to do once we had our wristbands. We made our way to an auditorium where biographies of civil rights persons aired, docents entered and left with groups at various times and we were never certain when it was our turn. No announcements were made. After an hour of waiting my wife went to the lobby and we were added to one of the tour groups. I think we could have sat there all day if she didn't so something.
Despite this, we enjoyed our visit, it really impacted our 10 year old daughter in a positive way. I think I will visit again in a few years to see what changes and improves.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“UNLIKE! how could someone dislike the place???? read on...”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I drove from my home in Atlanta over the long weekend to attend a college basketball game on Saturday at Chapel Hill, and tour your museum on Sunday. website shows closed on Mondays, my intention was to do on Sunday. The weather that day made the drive from Chapel Hill too difficult, so I thought I was out of luck.

On my drive back to Atlanta on Monday, I decided to drive by the museum with the intention of at least seeing it from the outside, so imagine my surprise when I saw two employees inside, a security guard and a woman in the gift shop.

So at 309p, I called the museum and spoke to a gentleman who told me and I absolutely quote him, “We’re a guided tour museum. The last tour is at 4 and we close at 5pm.” Excellent, I told him. I was literally parked around the corner and arrived moments later. (I was surprised to find the doors showing the facility closed on Mondays during summer and winter.)

I asked the security guard, who sounded quite a bit like the man I’d just spoken with on the phone, if I could just walk around the museum because I knew the next tour wasn’t until 4p. He told me that wasn’t possible and actually, the last tour was at 3p and the museum closed at 4.

I questioned this, as I had just literally phoned less than five minutes ago. He made a phone call asking, “What time are we closing today?” Like this was up for discussion?
After a few phone calls, he told me that the last tour had left and they were closing at 4p.

I asked if there was any way I could simply see the lunch counter, if someone could just show it to me? No, they couldn’t do that. I even told him I was from Atlanta and not returning any time soon. Nothing.

It wasn’t like I was trying to tour a brewery! This is a place of much social and historical significance. I would have been satisfied with ten minutes of someone’s time, especially because someone in that facility knew he made a mistake. How difficult would it have been for someone to say, “You know, we screwed up. I’ll go out there and show the gentleman around.” I would have gladly paid to enter. I’m willing to bet there was no 3pm tour and because it had been a slow day, people decided they wanted to close early on a nice sunny Monday.

Nowhere on the website does it show open on Mondays. the doors show summer and winter hours with Monday - CLOSED! Also, as much as I looked, it says nothing about how you can only enter via a guided tours given every xx minutes.

All it took was someone to do the right thing. It would have cost ten minutes of time. I would have become a big fan. Now you have someone who has no interest in ever setting foot in your museum.

15 Thank atlmike00
Kernersville
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“History”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I am proud to see where history was made for the equal rights movement.

Halifax, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You should visit this museum”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had an excellent experience when we visited this museum. First of all, the staff is wonderful - everyone was very friendly and helpful, and we were pleasantly surprised that they offered a guided tour through the museum. Second, the content of this museum is wonderful - very informative and eye-opening. The prices are also quite reasonable - admission is not overpriced, and the gift shop is reasonable as well.
Make sure you give yourself plenty of time - take the whole afternoon. We were there for a little over two hours, and could have used an hour or so more - they show a video as you wait for the tour, and we would have liked to go back after the tour to finish watching it, but the museum was closing.