“Truly a great learning experience!” 4 of 5 bubbles

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Saint Paul, Minnesota
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Truly a great learning experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

If you want to get your share of learning more about African- American history in the United Stated, then this is definitely for you! Our tour guide, Anita, was very animated and passionate about telling us the story about the 4 college kids who, in early 1960, went to the Woolworth's lunch counter in Greensboro, where they refused to serve "colored people" during those times. It was great learning about the domino effect that this one event had, "spreading like wildfire through the south", as Anita had explained. For $10, this tour was definitely worth it! The audio-visuals used were very creative (e.g. Putting a projection on the "windows" of the lunch counter and showing a re-enactment of what happened during that historical day). The length of the tour was just enough and the information provided was organized in a chronological way, which I very much appreciate in this type of tour. Overall, I found this tour to be well-worth the time and money we had put into it. I recommend it very highly!

1 Thank TravelGal9876

Bloomfield, New Jersey
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“It was very educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

You must go with a tour guide in order to access the museum. The tour guide was sharp and could answer all the questions we had. There is only one place that you can actually sit down while on the tour. Have comfortable shoes on. My husband & I really enjoyed learning more about our heritage. Very graphic & detailed but its needed, but not for kids and no pictures allowed. I totally understand why. My mom was a cotton picker and my grand mother cooked on a plantation.

Visited May 2011
Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Very impressive museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I must admit, that I was mostly interested in seeing the Woolworth's lunch counter, but this museum is so much more. The attention to detail is very impressive. This not a lovely, comfortable museum - rather, it is designed to be a reminder of how far this nation has come - and how far we still need to go. It is also a testament to the brave men and women who were willing to challenge the status quo and stand up and risk their lives to make this a better country. As a mixed-race family, we were "wow-ed". The museum is designed to do as a tour, so allow time to be there from start to finish. Also, it is in the downtown area, so you can easily walk down the street to do some shopping or eat at a local restaurant.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Robin N
East Coast
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Definite 'Must Do,' but leave age 5 and under at home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I had wanted to visit this museum since it opened a few years ago, and had high expectations, so took my older (age 10) child with me. We arrived late in the day--but well before closing time--on purpose, hoping to avoid crowds of Spring Break tourists and school tours. When we arrived, a large group of children was just leaving after a, apparently, busy day. Purchased our tickets from a lovely lady in the gift shop and reported to the security desk, where tours started, as directed. Could hear the person at the desk telling someone we were there, and that "someone" apparently was not happy about conducting another tour. Finally, after a bit of a wait, a rather curt guide showed up and started the tour. The first part of the tour is not appropriate for young children (rather graphic pics of civil rights abuses), and our tour guide immediately inquired, in a rather brusque manner, if it would be ok for my son to see this part. (There is an alternative for those who choose not to view, or young kids). She then proceeded t to caution us in an unnecessarily long-winded and strong manner, about a long list of rules. Keeping in mind we were one parent and one older and well-behaved, quiet child, with her right beside us, this seemed a bit absurd. Long story short, the original tour guide was just--barely--professional, and definitely not interested in doing anything that prolonged our tour (like answering questions!). Fortunately for us, a different guide eventually took her place. The museum is fantastic, and makes great use of technology to tell the Civil Rights story. My son was less impressed with the original Woolworth's counter, but totally enthralled with the technology- based exhibits. Seeing the counter was quite emotional for me, and I enjoyed the exhibits showcasing artifacts such as an original Ku Klux Klan robe, letters, etc. My main complaint--aside from the frosty tour guide--is that you are never allowed enough time to really see everything because each tour is timed and guided. Though I understand the rationale for it--you can move more people through the exhibits--given the newness of this museum, I would have liked to spend more time reading and observing, without being rushed. One other thing that struck me as a bit odd, is the museum delves-briefly-into civil rights abuses in other parts of the world (hence the name "International" Civil Rights Museum). Given the museum's location, in the original Woolworth's building, and the little bit of attention they give to international issues (one exhibit, just at the end), this part of the tour felt odd and disconnected from the rest.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank sati09
Greensboro NC
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“A very responsibly presented and "right sized" experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very high quality presentation of history we would all like to forget, but is important to remember. The hour flew by. This is a guided tour, by a real human, that runs constantly. Our guide was a delightful young man... very professional and well informed. The museum is new and well designed with multimodality presentations and exibits. I think this experience is under rated and under publicized and would really put this in the "don't miss" category.

Visited September 2011