“It was very educational”

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Bloomfield, New Jersey
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“It was very educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

You must go with a tour guide in order to access the museum. The tour guide was sharp and could answer all the questions we had. There is only one place that you can actually sit down while on the tour. Have comfortable shoes on. My husband & I really enjoyed learning more about our heritage. Very graphic & detailed but its needed, but not for kids and no pictures allowed. I totally understand why. My mom was a cotton picker and my grand mother cooked on a plantation.

Visited May 2011

Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Very impressive museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I must admit, that I was mostly interested in seeing the Woolworth's lunch counter, but this museum is so much more. The attention to detail is very impressive. This not a lovely, comfortable museum - rather, it is designed to be a reminder of how far this nation has come - and how far we still need to go. It is also a testament to the brave men and women who were willing to challenge the status quo and stand up and risk their lives to make this a better country. As a mixed-race family, we were "wow-ed". The museum is designed to do as a tour, so allow time to be there from start to finish. Also, it is in the downtown area, so you can easily walk down the street to do some shopping or eat at a local restaurant.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Robin N
East Coast
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Definite 'Must Do,' but leave age 5 and under at home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I had wanted to visit this museum since it opened a few years ago, and had high expectations, so took my older (age 10) child with me. We arrived late in the day--but well before closing time--on purpose, hoping to avoid crowds of Spring Break tourists and school tours. When we arrived, a large group of children was just leaving after a, apparently, busy day. Purchased our tickets from a lovely lady in the gift shop and reported to the security desk, where tours started, as directed. Could hear the person at the desk telling someone we were there, and that "someone" apparently was not happy about conducting another tour. Finally, after a bit of a wait, a rather curt guide showed up and started the tour. The first part of the tour is not appropriate for young children (rather graphic pics of civil rights abuses), and our tour guide immediately inquired, in a rather brusque manner, if it would be ok for my son to see this part. (There is an alternative for those who choose not to view, or young kids). She then proceeded t to caution us in an unnecessarily long-winded and strong manner, about a long list of rules. Keeping in mind we were one parent and one older and well-behaved, quiet child, with her right beside us, this seemed a bit absurd. Long story short, the original tour guide was just--barely--professional, and definitely not interested in doing anything that prolonged our tour (like answering questions!). Fortunately for us, a different guide eventually took her place. The museum is fantastic, and makes great use of technology to tell the Civil Rights story. My son was less impressed with the original Woolworth's counter, but totally enthralled with the technology- based exhibits. Seeing the counter was quite emotional for me, and I enjoyed the exhibits showcasing artifacts such as an original Ku Klux Klan robe, letters, etc. My main complaint--aside from the frosty tour guide--is that you are never allowed enough time to really see everything because each tour is timed and guided. Though I understand the rationale for it--you can move more people through the exhibits--given the newness of this museum, I would have liked to spend more time reading and observing, without being rushed. One other thing that struck me as a bit odd, is the museum delves-briefly-into civil rights abuses in other parts of the world (hence the name "International" Civil Rights Museum). Given the museum's location, in the original Woolworth's building, and the little bit of attention they give to international issues (one exhibit, just at the end), this part of the tour felt odd and disconnected from the rest.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank sati09
Greensboro NC
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“A very responsibly presented and "right sized" experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very high quality presentation of history we would all like to forget, but is important to remember. The hour flew by. This is a guided tour, by a real human, that runs constantly. Our guide was a delightful young man... very professional and well informed. The museum is new and well designed with multimodality presentations and exibits. I think this experience is under rated and under publicized and would really put this in the "don't miss" category.

Visited September 2011
San Juan Capistrano, CA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Well done”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The museum itself is fairly small, but the content is rich and it packs a powerful message. It is not possible to go through the tour-guided museum and not feel angry and sad for anyone that endured terrible injustices. But at the same time, the museum celebrates the bravery of the 4 students that stood up to unfair segregation and the Jim Crow laws. For me, being at the Woolworth lunch counter was like watching the scene from Braveheart, when William Wallace asks his Scottish countrymen if they would give this day to their last day for one chance to fight for freedom. So, although small, the museum is powerful and the message of equality, justice and compassion apply to other situations around the world. Well done.

Also - the staff was great and made sure we had plenty of time to shield our young children from any pictures that we felt were inappropriate.

Visited August 2011