“Online reservation gone very very wrong.”

Econo Lodge & Suites
Ranked #47 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Lenoir, North Carolina
“Online reservation gone very very wrong.”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Booked on-line this middle of the road hotel for a business trip. I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel of course, but at least a place where I could stay overnight... just one night. Well it did not happen. Entering the oversized lobby, it looked pretty nice and I thought it may have been a good pick after all. The clerk at the desk was friendly and very efficient.
I got the keys, and went off to my room. Here is where I began to worry that my choice may have been in error. There were loud cars blaring music in the parking lot, circling back and forth like sharks. The steps (no elevator) to my room were twisted and in need of immediate repair. I glanced at the courtyard, looking for the beautiful pool in the on-line ads, to see a totally empty, stained, and unusable concrete form that was once a pool. Still moving forward (slower now) I opened the door to my room, and was hit with a powerful alkaline smell. If you could amplify common disinfectant spray by let's say 100 times, that was what nearly singed my nostrils. Giving it one last chance, I reached for the light switch, flicked it, and was still in the dark. The light did not work. I spun around and went back to front desk. I explained my journey from lobby to room, and was given a refund with no hassle at all. That was the best part of the whole experience. I can say, the Hotel's staff was the best part of the whole experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Again, booked thru Hotwire for $54.....two star. It does not qualify for a two star rating at all.
The only thing good I can say is the lady at the front desk was nice. First room: Had to let the water run for fifteen minutes before there was hot water. The air conditioner never cooled the room. Second room: We had hot water and very good air conditioner but the bed for hard as cement and the pillows belonged in the trash dump.......very lumpy............old tv. When we arrived there was a "lady of the night" walking on the road outside the hotel. Not a good impression to start off with.

Room Tip: I would suggest you skip this facility. Rated 63 out of 70 hotels in Greensboro by TripAdvisor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed in a NON-SMOKING ROOM, I was charged on my credit card May 11 at 11:11pm. I checked my account on May 12, I saw that they have charged again 9:35am on my credit card. I called to alert them of the mistake of charging my credit card twice. The worker who answered the telephone was rude and said to me..that HOUSEKEEPING advise her that the room I stayed in was full of smoke. They charge me twice as much as I paid the first time. (regardless of what I said..and I do not smoke)... she talked very rude... I really believe they are over charging guest and this place need to be audited for fraud. I will never stay at this place again nor any Econo Lodge.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

Nice clean in-town hotel. Friendly and courteous staff at the desk. Room cleaned early is good thing :-). Breakfast is the basic breakfast - but a good Waffle House is nearby. Hotel close to coliseum area.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Stuart M
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed March 29, 2012

AWFUL. The room was dingy and the shower didn't work properly. Housekeeping woke me up at 8:30 am on check out day..... obviously check out is at 11 am so they should know who is/isn't checking out and at what time!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Words to the wise…stay away from this hotel! I highly recommend the Lodge America for close to the same price which features laundry, kitchens, shops and restaurants all within steps of the hotel. This Econolodge is located in the middle of an industrial park and a sheriff’s office sits next door where the inmates do yard work there weekly. There is nothing to eat or do within walking distance of the Econolodge. The hotel looks like it could use some fresh paint, the walls washed and a carpet shampooer. Two of the three ice machines don’t work and the one that remains is on its last leg. All of the soda machines are empty or broken…but hey, for a dollar you can purchase Dr Pepper or Diet Pepsi which are served warm of course. I was given 4 rooms before I could even get into one room, because they needed a new key card machine. The beds are as hard as a rock and there is no on site laundry. It took me over a week to get a fridge and microwave. They had some in rooms that weren’t being rented, but yet they refused to give me one. I can look past most of these things (I carry cleaning supplies)…but, what I can’t look past is the fact that I struggled to get internet service. Instead of remedying the problem by giving me a room closer to their office they chose to bicker and argue with me and refused to move me to another room giving me one excuse after another. So, I ended up not being able to use the internet for most of my stay there. The management is rude and argumentative, but oddly enough the staff is really nice and helpful. When checking into this hotel you will do well to remember that here the customer is NEVER right. My job keeps me tied to the hotel all day every day so, I was very unhappy with the service here. To make matters worse upon exit they overcharged the credit card with numerous hidden charges in retaliation for “making a fuss” about having my room changed. Stay at your own risk…just don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Room Tip: Check into Lodge America...that's how you get a good room in Greensboro, NC!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 31, 2011

First the good-I called announcing I would be making a late arrival. When I got there, the lobby was beautiful and welcoming. The owner (or owner's wife) was there to check me in around midnight. She told me because of the cold weather that I should let the water run to let it get hot before getting in the shower. When I got to the room, the heat was already turned on for me so everything was nice and cozy and comfortable. Nice touch.

Now the bad-The hotel has seen better days. Only about 5 guest the night I stayed. Close to my final destination. Several of the steps going up to my 2nd floor room were covered with caution tape from the rotting concrete and metal supports rusting.

The "fitness room" was a former room they had a rowing machine, treadmill and stairclimber. That was it. It was a former room with a bathroom but the bathroom was closed off even though you had to have a room key to get in.

The "breakfast" left a lot of be desired. Frozen waffles, and crushed white bread slices. old danishes and muffins and mini doughnuts. Instant oatmeal and grits. Orange Juice and coffee. There was no salt or pepper, jelly. No fresh fruit, nothing healthy.

The bathroom the next morning as I was letting the water fun I found mildew all over the shower walls and hair stuck on the wall from the previous guest. I reported to the attendant the next morning but she said she was only there 2 weeks and would let the manager know. She didn't know how to give me a receipt of my stay.

They said they offered about Wi-fi but when asked about it, they said the computer was broke. They could not even let me see a local phone book to find a local address.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business