“Thanks Front Desk”

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
columbia, sc usa
“Thanks Front Desk”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Staying in Greensboro for work and I needed a place to stay for the night, until I found a more long term arrangement. I knew what to expect at La Quinta. I came in without a reservation and they had me in a room in minutes. Quick and painless, doesn't give it justice. The hotel is starting to show it's age, and the furniture was a bit knicked up from use....but the room was clean as usual.
Good location..as the hotel sits just of I-40 and there are a lot of restaurants to choose from. Would definitely stay again, when I'm passing thru the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank psand22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 4, 2014

by now I am a veteran of La Quinta Inns, and have stayed at many across country. I booked this property, vs a sister location in Winston Salem with negative comments about thin walls and associated disruptive noises. This was a long weekend trip to visit a friend, so the three of us decided on a King Suite to give us enough room to not feel cramped during the evenings - which worked out well. The rooms, one with sofa, desk, chair, tv was comfortable for everyone to put extra bags, plug in electronics, and have a seat. Microwave and small refrig tucked away at an angle and adjacent to the good size bathroom with full vanity, mirrors and decent lighting. Bedroom with king bed and second tv, could be closed off with glass dbl doors. Each room had its own controllable heat/ac units. Bed was comfortable. Each room also had a window, which was also nice for this type of suite set up. Breakfast fare was as expected, nothing fancy, but certainly enough to stave off early morning hunger. Nice seating area in lobby adjacent to food serving area.
The front desk staff was pleasant, and accessible, and the location easy to/from I 40, other hotel restuarant and shopping needs or interests. It was a decent value for our two nights on the road. Easy parking, decent grounds, well lit and maintained exterior and interior public areas.
However, as much as I have come to expect a welcome level of accommodation from La Quinta;s, there are still real issues with their properties. The foremost here is the pullout sofa bed. It is awful, and every hotel property manager should have to sleep on one, as well as corporate La Quinta staff!. I'm not certain my dogs would be willing to sleep in one of them. Thinking back to my previous experiences with these pullouts, I brought a deep queen air mattress. It can be comfortable enough to place on the floor, but the heating/ac was not adequate to keep this room warm enough the first night, and so it was a cool night. The second night we moved the mattress on top of the lumpy crunchy sofabed, which was a much better alternative. Had we known the heating/ac wasn't working properly, I'm certain the staff would have made some adjustments, but we were only in the room late and then to bed, so it wasn't a very noticeable thing until 3 or 4 in the morning.
I would in future, check the heat/ac units just to be certain, as when they are OFF there is cool (even cold) in winter air pouring through and into the room. And probably vice versa in the summer.
I had been concerned about the elevator noise being a nuisance at night, but fortunately in this property, I could only hear it on occasion in the bathroom. If the hotel was full, that might have been different. We did have access to wi-fi here as well, but in certain locations in the hotel (exercise room) it was spotty to iffy and unreliable for my friend to follow her exercise program for a half hour or so.
All in all this property met my expectations, I would stay again, and continue my efforts for La Quinta to improve the extra sleeping accomodation, in today's hotel market it really is easy to do.

Room Tip: the back of the property is most likely the quietest and away from the public reception and front de...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fair Play, South Carolina
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I love La Quinta! The grounds are lovely, the rooms are clean and well-equipped and maintained, and the staff is friendly and welcoming. I wish they wouldn't serve their breakfasts on styrofoam, but other than that, I have never had any complaints about my many stays at this or other LQ locations. They welcome my small dog and don't charge extra for a pet, so the price you see is the price you pay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank carolinajane61
Fort Lauderdale, Florida Usa
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We used to drive 15 hours from Florida to NC or PA each summer because we couldn't find a decent, clean hotel that permits dogs at a reasonable price. In the last two years we have stayed at La Quintas in Daytona, FL; Charleston, SC; Greensboro, Asheville and Raleigh, NC; and Roanoke, Va. You can call their 800 number and tell them where you are and they will locate the closest La Quinta, give you directions and even call ahead, check availability, and make reservations--all in one call. We have found La Quintas off I95, I20, and in most cities and even small towns. Rooms have all been upgraded and are clean and comfortable. The bed and bathroom are really clean and the beds are snuggly and toped with a down-like comforter. Breakfast is free but don't expect miracles--pretty standard with tasteless bagels and sweet rolls, orange juice from concentrate, but decent flavored yogurt. We found staff to be responsive and pleasant and all for from $62 to about $80 a night. The rewards program is pretty lame. You have to practically live there before getting a free night. Although we stay at places like the Ritz Carlton, Fairmont, Charleston Place on vacation, while traveling to a destination with pets in tow, you can't beat La Quinta.

Room Tip: Never been unhappy with a room but you might want to ask to be away from the exit doors and elevator...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Poogan
Riverside, CA, United States
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was not able to p[perform simple tasks like check email or read news articles. Forget even trying to watch a YouTube video or Skype. Other than that the place was "just OK" If visiting the area for fun I would not stay here again. This was a business trip...I was there for 10 days...and I had to travel 30 minutes to the office to use the Internet. Very frustrating.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business