“Okay stay”

Grandover Resort , Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I stayed for one night while settling my son into college. Upon checking into the hotel I was a bit disappointed with the style....just not my preference. It is very heavy and dark. I was given a room on the 10th floor overlooking the front parking lot. I planned to spend some time at the pool because it was a lovely day, but found the lounge chairs to be too uncomfortable. They were wood -- with no cushioning at all. I found this unusual for a resort. I did not use the golf course or the spa.

The room was large and very comfortable....large, flat screened tv, small refrigerator. I was surprised that in the bathroom there were no hooks behind the door to hang either a robe or a towel.

There is an area off the lobby with two computers. I needed to print my boarding pass and it said there would be a fee and that you had to get front desk help to use the computers. I did get a gentleman to come and help me (and they didn't charge me), but I thought it strange that this service would not clearly be free.

The hotel is kind of in the middle of nowhere.....15 minutes or so to anything. So unless I was there for a meeting or to use the spa I probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine W
There are newer reviews for Grandover Resort , Spa & Conference Center

Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were there on June 28th for one night. It is beyond me how this place gets 4 DIAMONDS from AAA ?? As a Diamond Hilton member and Million Miler I have to say this is no RESORT. Just because you have meeting rooms, golf and a spa does not mean your a resort. We checked in mid afternoon with spa appointments on sunday morning. I played golf and found the course to be excellent and the staff at the club very good.

The pool area is bricked in and next to the parking lot in front of the hotel?? Having been to over 100 RESORT's this is NOT a RESORT pool area. Hard chairs with no cushions, seating for less than 50 people (at a resort no less???) and WHEN the server came by (they also were serving all room service orders) they told you up front that it would be more than 20 minutes before your drink was there. I think the reason for this is that the pool is FAR from the bar in the lobby which requires a long walk, which make for a warm beer!

The room was a nice size and the flat screen tv very nice with sound in the bathroom. Wet bar with frig also nice. Water pressure was terrible and the tub would not drain so you took a nice shower while standing in your dirty water! NOT AAA 4 DIAMOND in my opinion! Housekeeping starts at 8 and echos through the hall with ease. You can put up the do not distrub sign but you will hear "houskeeping, knock, houskeeping, knock, house keeping, knock" ) every time they come to a door! Again, not AAA 4 Diamond...put in a system on the TV to check out and then create a list for house keeping to update so they know what room to clean first for gods sake. Problem solved!

Food choices are very limited and expensive. Main dining room was EMPTY on a Saturday night which would scare anyone! I had 3 appetizers at the bar in the lobby that were 2 for 3. Best crab cake I have ever eaten and I have had many! Other than the over priced main dining room there is the East Cafe next to the golf shop. Small fare at a large price. Service was terrible at lunch and Sunday breakfast (ate there because the brunch was $25/person. Can't eat that much anymore) You can order drinks here also but the bar next to the golf club was closed so you had 2 drinking options.

Over all the bellmen and Golf Staff were the only shining stars at this RESORT.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank ncgatorguy
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed for several nights on our way to a wedding.
Hotel is tastefully decorated although its a bit dated. The Hallways are very dark. A bit too pricey for the old decor. It does have a grand entrance and a wonderful spa. Everything was very clean and neat.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2008

Recently stayed at resort as a part of business meeting for 4 nights. Rooms very comfortable. Found water pressure and temp in shower to be variable. Fitness room had several treadmills, bikes, TVs, an old "universal" weight machine and some non-working hand held weights (the type you can configure for different weights). Could be improved.

The conference rooms were very nice, plenty of public restrooms in great shape. Used fitness room and sauna for no charge. Ate at restaurant and snack bar - decent food.

Front desk had running trail, did that one evening, nice run, maybe 2.5 Miles.

Posting photos to assist others, enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for three days last week in connection with the Bruce Springsteen concert nearby.

The good: the room was very nice (loved the big screen HD TV). Both the room and the bathroom were a good size and clean. The view (high floor facing the golf course) was very nice. Parking was plentiful and free - there was no valet parking.

The OK: Had several meals here and they were OK. The buffet on Sunday for breakfast was understaffed, and after a frustrating experience standing on line for eggs and having people jump in with 'their friends' I gave up and ordered off the menu; the food was good. A few meals at the golf course snack bar and one from room service was OK. Tip - if you are at the pool instead of room service you can walk a short distance to the gof course snack bar and take out.

The bad: The bed linen was uncomfortable (scratchy, cheap) and the bottom sheet was flat, so it quickly rumpled into a mess underneath me. The bed did not have a clean duvet - it was triple sheeted with a thin blanket and a satin green comforter on top that was obviously not changed since the last guest. The robes were torn and threadbare. The chairs at the pool were wood (or something similar) with no pads. The pool area (a fenced in area near the parking lot) could be made more attractive.

The hard to understand: With one or two exceptions I found the staff either cold or rude. When I checked in the person said: "Name and credit card." No: hello. No weclome. I went to look at the spa with the full intention of booking a treatment; I was told I couldn't look at it. The front desk was rude and incompetent (lost my reservation) when I tried to reserve a shuttle to the airport (they don't advertise this but you can save a few bucks using the shuttle rather than take a cab). This didn't effect my stay, but I found it hard to believe that a resort like this would so poorly train its staff.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank Fontaine
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grandover for 2 nights... it was beautiful! He played golf and really enjoyed the course... The rooms are very nice... we had a couple of minor negatives... like 2 stained or dirty towels.. a toilet that ran at short times throughout the night (rm 605!)... a very loud housekeeping service that seemed to have a glass knuckle when knocking on doors to clean as early as 8am!... Even with our "do not disturb"sign put on the door, it didn't matter, because both mornings we were awakened by her knocking on neighboring doors and quite loudly announcing herself!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I stayed at this resort February 1-3, 2008 with my mother. I had booked the resort during the second week of January, and had chosen the "Deluxe Spa Package" for the first night which was $420 and a regular room which was $295.

The package included dinner and breakfast at the resort restaurant, a room with a "golf course view", and two 50-minute spa activities.

Friday night we arrived late and missed our dinner at the resort. We were given our room key and told that we could order room service since it was so late (it was about 11pm), but the woman at the front desk was very short and not helpful.

Our room was located on the 11th floor of the hotel. The hallway of the 11th floor is stained and quite unsightly. Upon entering the room, we discovered that we did not have a "golf course view", but instead a "parking lot view". We kept it to ourselves, though, since we were not there for a golf weekend. We decided to order the "smoked salmon" from the late-night room service menu, along with a bottle of wine. When the room service was delivered, the plate consisted of crackers, raw salmon, diced tomatoes on the side, and some other diced raw vegetables. They also brought one glass of wine instead of a bottle.

The room was decent, with two queen beds and a widescreen plasma tv (not HD, though). There is a mini fridge and free internet, and you can hear the tv through speakers in the bathroom.

Saturday morning we ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, but were charged for it (we thought it was included in the package?) and assumed it just wouldn't show up on the room charge.

We had made reservations for massages at the spa three weeks before we arrived. I called Saturday morning to see if we could make later appointments for facials as well, but the woman on the phone said there were no open appointments and did not even try and accommodate us. We went for our massage and they gave us the bill, so I said something about the spa package and they told us we were supposed to have vouchers from the main desk (which had not been given to us). So, we spoke with a manager who went to the front desk and got the vouchers for us (finally, some help!). The massages were wonderful!

We had lunch at the restaurant which was good. I recommend the Grandover salad and the fruit creme dessert thing. Very good!

Saturday night we went to The Barn Dinner Theater for a dinner show. If you appreciate old country music, I would recommend this as well.

When we returned to the hotel Saturday night, the front desk called our room at 11pm to inform us that we needed to pick up our vouchers (thanks a lot!).

Sunday morning we went to get our free breakfast at the restaurant, but they were not doing breakfast but instead brunch. We could use our vouchers for one person, but we would have to pay for the second. So, we went to the front desk to ask about the voucher situation, and the restaurant manager followed to straighten things out. Since the hotel had ultimately messed up, we were given the breakfast vouchers for another day in the next month (when would we be back for breakfast??) and our breakfast from the previous day was refunded. We never did get our free dinner.

Also, somehow I ended up with strep during the two days we were there. It could be completely unrelated, but I can tell you the cleanliness of the rooms was not RESORT quality.

If we had known the following, the trip would have been much better.

Tips for staying at the Grandover:

1. When you arrive at the front desk, make sure you mention you had a package if you purchased one. They should give you a room with a golf course view and VOUCHERS for free dinner, breakfast, and spa activities.

2. If you're doing the spa, make sure you make reservations with the spa at least two weeks in advance. They will not have any openings if you try and make an appointment last minute.

3. If you don't want to be woken at random morning hours, make sure you put the do not disturb sign on your door the night before. One morning the maid came at 11am, the next at 8.

Overall, a good trip if you know what you're doing.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family