“Three times bitten, won't go back” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Greensboro Marriott Downtown

Greensboro Marriott Downtown
Ranked #23 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Atlanta, Georgia
“Three times bitten, won't go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

I had stayed at this hotel last February and had issues then as well. There was no feather-free bedding except dirty old blankets with leaves in them; our maid was found in our room, drinking our coffee and making long distance calls on our room phone; and the Internet had issues and should be free like at any lower-level hotel.

I vowed never to stay at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown again, but I gave it another try with my newest client located down the street. Yet again, I was treated poorly. I even booked my room on the concierge level to see if it made a difference; I got some excellent brownies out of it, but still terrible bedding and maid service. It's only plus? The Marriott Downtown is still the only real hotel in downtown, making proximity to clients fantastic, but it's just not worth it for any money.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GaTravels-a-lot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Southwest Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2006

Stayed May 31--June 2 for a dental meeting. Check in was very easy, room was clean, bed were very comfortable. Ate breakfast at the buffet, was decent. There was five of us total between two rooms. We were in one room talking and laughing, was called down at 10 pm for being disruptive. So this hotel is definitley for business travelers who are ready to turn in early. Check out review for Ganache restaurant two blocks from hotel (Very Good)

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank toothgal
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2006

The hotel is big and a bit cold, but I see construction going on in the upper floors and hope that they are rectifying some of that.

Otherwise it is a fairly standard older Marriott property. Nice beds, accomodating staff and good location. I have used it for business on several occasions and not been disappointed. Not a memorable place, but solid.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Johnson City, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2006

Stayed for one night in March 2006.

If you are arriving by car be aware that the directions that are printable from the hotel website are a little misleading. The hotel entrance is hidden on a one-way alley between the parking structure and the hotel building itself that is accessible from Greene Street. City traffic was non-existant when we arrived at 10 pm so circling the block to figure things out wasn't difficult. Parking is in the adjacent garage and is free with a pass from the front desk.

Check-in was quick and smooth. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Bell service upon check-in and check-out was superb. The attendants were very friendly and efficient, and answered all kinds of questions for us about the hotel and the city.

Hotel has no wifi internet available in rooms or public areas. I tried to dial-in to Earthlink for a connection (75¢ charge for a local call), but could not get my modem to connect through the hotel phone system. An ethernet box in the room will hook you up at high speed for $9.95/day. I ended up connecting that way, but the charge never appeared on my bill and the front desk clerk said not to worry about it. There is a business center with a computer where you can go online for free.

Room was clean and the beds were VERY comfortable. My sister and i enjoyed the Bath & Body Works bath amenities. Our room was right at the elevator, and while it was a noisier location than on the floor, it wasn't bad.

Overall it was an average hotel stay in this property class.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Rae A
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2006

Room service is awful as was our dining experience in the restaurant. Something should be done about the food. Also female business travelers are not catered to as in they are roomed next to exit doors and given connecting rooms. Doesn't seem to be any concern for security.

Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

We stayed at the Marriott Downtown for 3 nights in March, 2006. This is a large concrete "fortress" property located on the edge of downtown. Rooms were OK, but in need of some TLC. The guest services book in the room was woefully out of date, and when I brought it to the front desk's attention, they only shrugged and said "we know". The public rooms in the hotel lack soul and are cold. Overall the hotel is rather dingy and cries for a makeover. Not a bad choice by any means, but not what I expect from a large Marriott property.

5 Thank rightboy
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2005

This hotel was not bad at all. I've been in all types of accomodations (business hotels to 5-Star luxury resorts). I have stayed in so much worse before. Perhaps all the complaining reached the ear of the "Powers That Be" and measures were taken to correct the issues.

The only issue I had was that the woman checking me in was trying to mess with me. I guess she thought it would be easier to say that there were no rooms in my requested category than to just do her job and find one. Eventually, once she realized that I was on to her, the room I requested miraculously appeared!

Overall, though, it really wasn't that bad. Stay here if you need to for business.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business