“Greensboro Marriott- Great staff, rooms stuck in time warp.”

Greensboro Marriott Downtown
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I recently stayed 3 nights at this Marriott property for a training seminar. While the lobby was quite inviting and open, when I entered my room, I thought I had walked through a time machine. This was exactly the carpet, decor and furniture from the Marriott's I remember from the late 80's, early 90's. While still very clean, and the beds up to Marriott comfort standards, that means excellent, the rooms are in dire need of an update. Not to mention, I was on the Concierge Level!

This is an unfortunate situation, as the staff at this property is some of the best I have encountered. Extremely personable, and always asking to assist in any way. If you get a chance, stop by the lobby bar, and ask for Meaghan. She is a southern hospitality treat!

Once this property gets a full update on the rooms, it will be THE place to stay in Greensboro.

Note- I am not in any way affiliated with the Marriott organization. I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite Member traveling the world, and offering my view on Marriott properties.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Mr. Marriott Man,

We are overjoyed by the quality of hospitality you encountered during your visit with us! We are also happy to hear that you know the distinction between our excellences in mattress quality opposed to others. As of the first week in February, we had brought brand new mattresses into every guest room; glad you like them.

We are also very pleased to know that you received "some of the best" staff service from our associates, including Meaghan. We will be sure to let her know she was a "real treat"!

As for your sleeping room expectation, it is unfortunate to hear that you were less than satisfied. All of our sleeping rooms had undergone renovation in 2009-2010, and we are continuing to make improvements.

From all of us here at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown, we sincerely appreciate your time and consideration. It is comments such as yours that let us know we are doing a great job in hosting our guests and representing our Marriott Brand successfully! (And what a wonderful username you have...)

There are newer reviews for Greensboro Marriott Downtown

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Yuck.

Not disgusting but not worth the price. No amenities. Great staff just not a great facility.

Air conditioning works, after they come and drained the water but they let it run onto the floor.

The restaurant had good food for a hotel and again, great staff.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Miata94M
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Miata94M

Thank you for your recent stay at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown.
We genuinely appreciate your taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Survey regarding your recent visit. We want every guest to experience nothing less than an exceptional stay and your feedback is vital in accomplishing our goal. It is very
helpful to see not only where we are excelling but also where we are falling short.

You are a valued guest and nothing could be more important to me than regaining your trust in the Marriott Brand. I sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back soon and provide you with the positive experience that you have come to expect from Marriott.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

First thing make sure you ask for any information about your stay we were not told there was breakfast being served on the third floor and I personally paid for 3 rooms and the rest of the wedding block was not told about breakfast so it cost my husband and I over $60.00 for the family to have breakfast. Which if we had been informed we would of ate at the hotel on the 3rd floor. Leon was very helpful with our bags and getting ice up to the 8th floor for all 7 rooms being rented Thanks Leon!! My key also had a lot of problems so I spent time running to the front desk several times and they gave us a free movie thank you. Overall very clean and friendly

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for your reply Jaci E!

We take each comment and issue very seriously and always appreciate feedback. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience of confusion you encountered. The Hotel does not provide any sort of food service on our sleeping room floors (3-11) other than room service and concierge on the 10th floor. We do have a full service restaurant on the lobby level and feel terrible if you were informed otherwise. We are, however, very pleased to hear of your experience with our staff and Leon! We will certainly let him know of the job well done. We all hope to have you as our guest again in the future. Thank you again!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed for one night at this renovated hotel located in downtown Greensboro. Everything was satisfactory. The front desk staff was courteous, the room very comfortable and the breakfast buffet, the highlight. The only negative thing I can report is that I had a room that had an adjoining door to the next room and I could hear very clearly the discussion in the next room. I don't know if the walls for those types of rooms are thinner, but I'd probably prefer a regular room that didn't adjoin next time.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear C H,

Thank you very much for your great respond about our hotel, front desk and breakfast buffet. All of us here at Greensboro Marriott Downtown are very sincere in the way of making our guests feel welcome by letting our friendly demeanor shine. We are so sorry about noise issues due to adjoining room and please let us know on your next visit and we will be happy to put this request on your Marriott profile so you can enjoy and relax.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Although the staff were friendly this old hotel is in dire need of a make-over. The bathroom requires that little contortionist's trick to get in and close the door. There aren't many hotels of this star rating without a safe in the room or even an iron. It may be located down town but I do not advise going for a walk unless you know where you're going. We were accosted by beggars and had to give up and return to the room. The breakfast was very good but some of the bar food was inedible - maybe it depends on who's in the kitchen.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to send a review. We are suprised to hear that you feel the Hotel is out-dated; the multimillion dollar public space renovation was just completed in September and the guest rooms were renovated only four years ago. However, we certainly understand that everyone is entitled to have his or her own opinion and of course, we value yours. We sympthize with you of the space in the bathroom, and this has been noted.

Like every city, you have to be mindful of the area and be wary of people that could accost one for money. I can assure you that we are in a safe location, but there are always exceptions when venturing out in a downtown area. We are sorry to hear that you were approached; that is uncomfortble for anyone to encounter.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, but apologize you were not pleased with the bar food. Perhaps you will decide to give us another shot? We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again. Safe travels and warm wishes.

Sincere Regards,

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Room was clean, staff was excellent. Cory helped us get everything to our room and Beth brought us a wonderful breakfast. Great location, downtown near UNC-Greensboro where we needed to be. They kept us updated on winter storm info. Allowed a late checkout. Very quiet even though big wedding parties on site.

• Stayed: December 2013

We are so glad to hear of your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. Our Hotel certainly is in the most wonderful location; we have everything you need within walking distance or a very short drive. I am very pleased to hear of the service you were provided by Cory and Beth, and I will be sure to tell them of your thanks. This is great incentive! Safe travels and warm wishes.

Sincere Regards,

Reviewed November 29, 2013

The Marriott in Greensboro stands for everything that one expects from the name Marriott. I attended a conference there in October 2013, and every last detail over the 3 days was cared for in a professional and caring manner. The rooms were big and the bed was comfortable. The catering for the breaks were prepared very well by an accommodating staff. On Monday evenings the hotel restaurant is closed, although you can eat at the bar. There was ample adjacent parking in a covered garage.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear Guest,,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us . We highly appreciate your kind words about our team members and their service, they all work very hard and it is appreciated when it is recognized. I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone. We hope to see you again soon.
Best Regards,