“Delightful with a distinctive touch of class” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of O.Henry Hotel

O.Henry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Richmond, VA, USA
“Delightful with a distinctive touch of class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night. It was a delightful experience even though we were there for business and not relaxation. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room had a nice seating area, desk for work, a microwave and refrigerator hidden from view inside an armoire, sinks in two separate areas, both a shower and a bath tub. The bed was very comfortable. I would rate their breakfast buffet as the best I have had because of the quality of the food, presentation and service that was helpful without being irritatingly ever present. The only negative part of the stay was how particular the lock was on the door. The key card had to be held just right to unlock the door. After we learned to put it in on the right side of slot and angle the card slightly back to the left then it worked fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We are pleased that we could make your business trip comfortable and enjoyable. I hope your trip was successful and work or pleasure will bring you back many more times. Our complimentary breakfast is awesome, the food is hot and delicious and you can dine in or outside in our Don Rives Cloister Garden.
I am so sorry about your experience with our room keys; we have our engineering checking on your room and others to fix this problem. Thank you so much for this feedback, you have been a great help to many of our future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The O.Henry is an impressive place to stay, not only in Greensboro, but for the region. The rooms are as nice as most standard or base rate Ritz Carlton rooms we've experienced. The bathrooms are spacious with a tub, enclosed shower, two sinks, dressing area and closet.

I love how the hotel's theme of O.Henry and his writings is repeated in the woodwork of the lobby, in the elevator, and even in a book of his short stories in the rooms. I also love the historical link between the original O. Henry hotel in downtown Greensboro (now demolished) and this one.

The lobby is gorgeous and the staff went out of their way to help us. Breakfast was very tasty and a drink at the bar was a nice way to cap off an evening. We didn't try the restaurant this time, but look forward to an opportunity to do so in the near future. We would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Did you know that William Sidney Porter (O. Henry) was born in Greensboro! We wanted to honor him in his birthplace. It is fitting that our hotel is named after him, as he spent most of his life in hotels. It is fabulous that you enjoyed all of the details of our hotel and reaped the benefits!
You must return to once again to experience the Green Valley Grill and continue to learn about the adventures of O. Henry.
Hope to see you soon!
Fayetteville, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here two nights recently on business. From the time I arrived in a rental car until I left, the staff could not have been more attentive and helpful. The rooms are large and comfortable with a comfortable bed. The food was excellent in the Green Valley Grille. I loved the oversized bathroom and separate shower. Well definitely return. This is one of the top hotels in the country in my opinion.

Stayed March 2013
We want to thank you for your kind words about our hotel and staff. You honor us with your recognition of our service and accommodations by ranking us with the top hotels in the country. Your comments are a reward for our team, who focus on making each guest’s experience a memorable one. We look forward to delighting you again in the near future.
Birmingham, al
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here when our son was on an overnight trip to a college in Greensboro. There are lest costly hotels, but I was very impressed with O. Henry. The stuff that drives you nuts at other hotels - like being charged for parking your own car, or wireless in-room internet service, or a simple bottle of water in your room, are no charge here. Oh, and the included buffet breakfast as well? - The other cheaper hotels are beginning to look like a shabby deal at best!

Welcoming? My wife and I were made welcome as soon as we walked in the door. Michael, the impeccably dressed and mannered porter made a point of not just welcoming us, bringing up our luggage to our room, recommending the in house restaurant, but also stopping by to see us at the restaurant.

Michael also made a point of pointing out the many innovative conveniences in our room. How about a built in luggage rack in the dressing room outside the bathroom, along with a closet door that opens up to close off that area if you have company, so you can dress in privacy? A sink in that area, along with another in the bathroom, as well as a tub and a separate shower, make for easy bathroom routines for all. Foldout couch? Check. Comfortable wheeled office chair, desk, as well as a coffee table, easy chair, and additional upholstered chair? Check. Fridge, microwave, video game controllers, etc etc.

Dinner in the on-site Green Valley Grill was excellent, with a very unusual vegetarian dish - cauliflower steak, which was delicious, and rotisserie chicken for my better half. Nice selection of local craft beers on tap, all in a comfortable, spacious white table-clothed restaurant.

Other conveniences include flat screen, surround sound, mp3 ready music system, along with bedside tables etc.

Bottom line, I would readily recommend this Hotel. Its not the cheapest, but once here, its all taken care of. Other Hotels need to take note - its amazing how much better it makes the guest feel - hence this review which is something I have never felt the need to do before. Glad I spent the extra money!

I have not reviewed the sleep quality or the breakfast at this point, as it is nearly midnight and I have yet to sample either! Have not been to the spa, and do not know enough about Greensboro to comment on the location

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter W
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Our Ambassador of Arrival (truly is his title), Michael Jenkins did us proud! He is a tremendous asset to our company. We are simply delighted that you had such a wonderful experience and recognized the value of our hotel. When you wrote this review, you still hadn’t enjoyed our Magi bed or delicious hot Southern-style buffet breakfast, I hope they lived up to your expectations.
We hope your son picks a college in the area so we get a chance to see your family more often.

PS: Mr. Jenkins is carrying your review in his pocket – thank you for making his day!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband brought us here for a romantic getaway and this was the perfect hotel for us to stay overnight. Beautiful and grand in every manner and sophisticated and simple throughout. Enjoyed every second of the stay!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are delighted that we were able to help keep the romance alive!! Come back soon!
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was in Greensboro looking into the area considering it for a place to retire so I wanted a great hotel where I could relax and be "pampered" after a long day searching for homes. How wrong I was! My first bad experience took place before I even checked in. I pulled my car up to unload my luggage with the bellman/porter and he completely ignored me, opting instead to assist a guest who had walked up after I pulled my car to the front. He walked inside and never once did he indicate that he'd be right with me. I parked my car in the lot and brought my luggage to the front steps; only at that time did he come out and ask to help me. Really?? I'd gotten that far and surely didn't need his help at that point. My room was impressive, especially the bath and dressing area which was extremely roomy and clean; unfortunately, it was located right by the kitchen vents and I smelled wood smoke my entire visit. I ordered room service one evening; the delivery was prompt and the server helpful and courteous. I just wish the food had been good! The wood-fired chicken was still bloody in parts and the "gravy" was cold and gelatinous. My last morning there, I needed to be "on the road" early so I asked for a wake-up call at 6:00 am, but it never happened!! Luckily I had woken up early. Needless to say I probably won't be staying here again since I was extremely disappointed with my visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bjsteadman
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I am so sorry (and embarrassed) that we let you down! Your constructive feedback is very much appreciated.
You have my full attention. We will focus on these systems and standards.
If you have the time and inclination, please contact me. I'd like to have the opportunity to talk with you.
Martha Bryant
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Sometimes the word character is used to hide deficiencies, but in this case we found our stay a the O.Henry a welcome respite from the cookie-cutter hotel chain. It has the character of a "southern" hotel with the gentility, warmth and comfort you would expect when thinking of the South. The rooms are large, the bed comfortable, the afternoon tea is so civilized, the staff is so accommodating to the guests. The food in the restaurant was delicious with every effort made to adjust dishes to my husband's gluten free diet. It would be my first choice in Greensboro area hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed the Southern charm of the O.Henry. We like to believe that our hotel is different from other hotels. Our focus is on our guest’s comfort, we consider all the details from guestroom design to the training of our staff.
The Green Valley Grill is wonderful at being flexible and offering a number of options to accommodate all guest requests. I am delighted that we were able to take care of your husband. We hope to see you again soon!