Mikumi Wildlife Camp
Vuma Hills(Mikumi National Park)
$339
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Morio Motel and Campsite(Mikumi National Park)(Great Value!)
Asante Afrika Camps & Lodges(Mikumi National Park)
$68
Jumia Travel
Angalia Tented Camp(Mikumi National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Tan Swiss Lodge(Mikumi National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Camp Bastian Mikumi(Mikumi National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Mikumi Safari Lodge(Mikumi National Park)
  • Restaurant
Vamos Hotel Mikumi(Mikumi National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Asante Afrika Camp Mikumi(Mikumi National Park)
TripAdvisor
Afrika Yangu Camp And Lodge(Mikumi National Park)
Agoda.com
All reviewsgame parkmasai guardsdar es salaamwatering holeeach eveningbreakfast and dinnercomfortable bedsgreat place to staystayed two nightsrecommend this placeafter darkearly morningmosquito netgame drivesour honeymoonvuma hillsdining area
Reviewed May 4, 2015

We absolutely loved this place, mainly because the communal areas were superb and there was also a lovely seating area for every pair of semi-detached rooms. The wildlife was nearly always in view without even having to go for a drive, although the lions roaring woke us in the night - how authentic can you get?
Staff were very friendly and helpful, cooking a special early breakfast for us on the morning we were leaving.
Drinks were very expensive here, about twice what we paid elsewhere, but the setting is so fantastic you don't mind too much.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank ineketom
Reviewed May 3, 2015

I am not a safari expert, I have only been 6 times from South Africa to the north of Tanzania. But I have been to Mikumi twice - and I have to say that this is the hidden secret of Tanzania. Sure it has a road going through the park and this is an undeniable pain, but the road is one road and the park is massive, there is also a plan to move the reload which could happen any year now.

I stated at Mikumi wildlife camp a few years aback and again just recently- it has been totally renovated (dare I say rebuilt) and the rooms are big and top quality, the beds awesome, the food is incredible. How can you get such tender steaks and quality wine in the bush??? (Ok the pesky road).

The animals are unaffected they come right up to the restaurant area, elephants chew the grass behind your hut, you need Masai warriors to take you to your room at night. Lions roar a half mile from the camp fire at night. This is real old fashioned Africa, only a few miles from DAR es Salaam. (200)

I went with friend and our game drives took us deep and far into the bush. We saw every kind if animal bar leopards. With two or three large watering holes, we just sat there and watched the animal kingdom go by.

I appreciate the value and quality of Mikumi wildlife camp. I would say that Mikumi as a park is unmatched in Tanzania for location, value and sheer numbers of animals. It is a bit small compared to the Serengeti - but when you consider that it is effectively part of the Selous ecosystem- and linked to the Selous, it's massive, . You may realise that I like small places where you meet and see the owner. Here the owner is Onno, a dynamic guy from Holland who has been in Africa for over a decade. He is the driving force behind the changes and the really high quality improvements.he has introduced walking safaris, champagne sunset drives and takes advantage of the fact that night game drives are allowed in Mikumi,

I cannot recommend Mikumi wildlife camp enough. It's great value and real Africa a few hours from DAR es Salaam international airport,

Room Tip: They are all the same and all excellent,
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled with friends
2  Thank JDSC96
Reviewed April 11, 2015 via mobile

What else does a person want who enjoys wildlife, a good atmosphere and great hosts?

The renewed bandas are well equiped with all required, comfortable beds, nice shower, and a beautiful veranda overlooking the planes where the wildlife will be coming up close.

The living/dining/bar area are situated overlooking the planes with a couple of waterholes where the animals will be going about their daily buziness throughout the day.

Onno will arrange and take care of you being able to do what you want, whether it is arranging your drives through the park or the company during a nice sundowner at the Hippopool.

All in all a very good experience and absolutely worthwhile the costs involved!

Stayed: April 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tammo G
Reviewed March 17, 2015

I was lucky enough to stay here a few times, both alone and with my family (a toddler and a 6 months old!). While the rooms are very nice, spacious, and with a stunning view on the ever busy plane, what I find very special is the common living/dining area. Beautifully decorated in a typical colonial style, it overlooks a water hole which attracts a lot of wildlife at all times of the day and night. Last Sunday (15 March) we had lunch while watching some elephants having a mud bath, then had a swim in the pool only to be amazed when an elephant bull approached and started drinking from it! He then just hang around the pool for the afternoon, and us with him. A truly magical experience! Apparently this bull does this a lot, so you might be lucky and get to spend some time with him too!
Staff were very friendly and helpful and liked children a lot, one of the waitresses offered to look after our baby girl (6 months) while we were observing the elephant by the pool. My daughter seemed to have a great time with her!

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank Alessandra B
Reviewed March 1, 2015

I live in Tanzania and took my visiting family to Mikumi National Park in July. My family are adventurous, but I am not, so I was grateful to find that Mikumi Wildlife Camp strikes a lovely balance between wild adventure and relaxing enjoyment.The food was good and the staff were kind and helpful.

The rooms and all the other elegant safari-themed facilities set the perfect mood for enjoying the wonder that is Mikumi National Park. Some of our best photos were taken while relaxing in the lounge that overlooks the waterhole.

The manager Onno arranged for us to hire a safari vehicle and a driver who was an excellent guide, so if you stay here, I suggest you allow him to book your safari rather than doing it yourself.

The price was quite reasonable. it is not cut-rate, but neither is the experience, so don't sell yourself short when selecting where to stay. I wanted to book by phone, but in the end I had to book by email, which did not turn out to be a problem. Phone service is limited in that area, but they manage to have at least limited access to email, and you can manage that from their website.

Be sure to check with them just before your arrival for the latest requirements for entering the game park, as the procedures seems quite changeable. We were able to use a Visa credit card, but not cash, so be sure you know what to expect before you arrive. You will not be able to proceed to Mikumi Wildlife Camp until you have been cleared through the main gate, and even though you can see the camp from the gate, you cannot walk, so be sure you have arranged for pickup at the gate if you don't have your own transportation.

Don't forget to look up at night once the generator has gone off. You are unlikely to ever see another night sky like that. I had phone service in the lounge are and enjoyed using Google Sky Map to tell me what we were seeing, so consider downloading that onto your phone before you arrive.

Be prepared to see amazing birds, as well as game. You will see many Superb Starlings around the camp and Lilac Breasted Rollers in the park.

I wish you a good safari; or as we say in Swahili, "Safari njema!"

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family