“Wonderful Dutch ambience”

Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We arrived in Yzerfontein and asked around where the best meal could be had and were told about Kaijaiki. Imagine our surprise to find a chef from Groningen in a small West Coast village! Bitterballen for starters and kabeljouw as the mains,beautifully presented, lots of Dutch memoribilia plus a charming host and his lovely wife and to top it all a cute Maltese terrier. A lunch to remember.

There are newer reviews for Kaijaiki Country Inn and Restaurant

Reviewed April 14, 2013

You can be assured of a fantastically warm welcome from Rene and Maryann, the owners of this great little eatery. The restaurant building and its interior have lots of character and on cold nights the open fire adds an extra dimension. Ask Maryann about all the artifacts that are on all the walls and in every nook and cranny - every one tells a story and Maryann brings them to life in an absorbing manner. Rene is 'full on' and hugely charismatic - he take every opportunity to sit down and talk away........about Yzerfontein, South Africa, The Netherlands.....whatever. He's the chef and is passionate about what he produces. We particularly enjoy the Bittebollen for starters ( a typical Dutch dish ), thereafter there's steak, fish etc all served with Rene's particular creative slant - fried grapes, chocolate sauce...........!!! Maryann is on hand with her homemade bread (deliciously unique) as well as a good selection of local wines. After Dinner, retire to the adjoining lounge and over a liqueur, chat away in a 'home away from home' environment with long lost friends.....

2  Thank nauj63
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We only had a light lunch at the Restaurant but found the service of high standard and the food tasty. The salad was fresh and the salmon trout strips complimented the overall appearance and taste.The Chicken Wrap was tasty and sufficient for a small appetite.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed nere for my first night of my twelveth trip to South Africa and was overall a nice experience. I had a nice room in a cottage with patio and a a sun deck for an affordable rate. I also ate here a good line fish. The host was a super friendly Dutch guy, always enthusiastic and talkative . Very nice breakfast outside in a gorgeous morning in a nice village on the West coast with a superb 16 mile long white beach.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have a feeling that dining here is purely a matter of luck, you win some you lose some. Unfortunately, both times we ate here were a huge disappointment. I had written off the first experience as bad luck and decided to give them another go but sadly the second time was worst than the first. However, I have no doubt that they CAN produce nice meals, well cooked, but I was not destined to be the recipient of one of those! I think the chef tries to be too creative and this all fell spectacularly short on the occasions we were there. The ambience and decor is nice, very quirky and rustic. The food, for the area, is on the expensive side. This wouldn't have mattered if we had enjoyed it. However, perhaps we were just unlucky. As it is is such a nice interior, and the menu unusual, it is worth trying as your experience may well be the reverse of ours.

2  Thank aroomsomewhere