We felt a bit awkward at first as we were the only guests but it did mean we had a choice of all the rooms available! Also,Charles the manager/chef couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming and the lack of other guests meant we had excellent service and gleaned a lot of information about the local area from Charles. Accommodation was very modern - top of the range furnishings, bedding etc. all with ethnic touches such as locally woven rugs - just a bit chilly on winter evenings although there was a blazing fire built for us in the communal lounge.
Food was outstanding - Charles is a superb chef and our only criticism was that there was too much of it - we had to turn down a course on our first night and from then on only had 3 courses!
Beautiful views from every angle - such tranquillity too which gave us a real sense of the majesty of the area - a place with so much history. Enjoyed our walk on the property too - accompanied (or should I say led ) by Max the gigantic dog!
We had a battlefields tour organised for us by the lodge and Paul, our guide, was an excellent storyteller who really brought the history of the battles to life - sitting on camp chairs by the Buffolo River in the morning sunlight was magical!
Our only criticism - the access road!!!! It filled us city dwellers with terror and although our saloon car did make it, it was a horrible experience each time we had to drive along it! Accommodation was worth it in the end, however, and we didn't regret our choice for a minute - so much better value than the other two famous but extemely expensive local, bigger lodges. Would have been an even better experience if we had had other tourists to chat to at meal times so let's hope this recommendation encourages more guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rorke's Drift Lodge is perched above the Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana Battlefields where the mighty Zulu nation and British Empire came to blows in 1879. The Lodge caters to the historical enthusiast looking to immerse themselves in poignant tales of yesteryear. World class guided tours coupled with friendly South African hospitality,superb food and a taste of the African Bush make this an experience to remember forever. We also offer horseriding on the property and can arrange for hunting and bass fishing expeditions in the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Rorke's Drift Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rorke`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Rorke's Drift Lodge South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal