“DEREK AND ALEX "YORKSHIRE TOURS"”

and 1 more site!
Rorke's Drift Lodge
Bingley
“DEREK AND ALEX "YORKSHIRE TOURS"”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Another wonderful stay at Rorke's Drift Lodge this time for four nights.Set in peaceful surrodings with a lovely host Christine, and Chris and Shane of western films!!The meals are of 5 star quality served by staff with smiling faces.The lodge is situated only 5km from the original Rorke's Drift site a must for the casual visitor or the historian.and,only a few kilometes drive to Isandhlwana where one can see the battlefield of unspoit proportions.Yes, Rorkes Drift Lodge just the place to rest up after long journies.We shall be definately return next year

Room Tip: All of top quality where all needs are catered for
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here along with two friends and all agreed that we wished we could have spent more. The setting is magnificent, the staff delightful and helpful, the food superb and the rooms clean and tidy. If I could give a six for the food and service, I would, probably along with the view and location!
We could not have any more of the staff, who were always on hand to provide service or assistance as required.
How delightful to sit outside by the fire after dinner, enjoying a glass or two of wine and soak up the sounds, sights and smell of Africa in this completely unspoilt setting.
Whilst the track from Rorkes Drift is a bit of an adventure at times(!!!) it is no real problem and the lodge at the end is more than worth the trip.
If doing the Battlefield tour, I can thoroughly recommend Thulani, who was a delight.
We will definitely return, hopefully next year

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent two nights at Rorke Drift Lodge, we stayed in a lodge type room with a balcony, room above the bathroom with spiral staircase access. The room was perfect for the setting. Christine had to cook the meals without electricity due to electric storms the previous evening. The meals were superbly cooked with quality to die for. Spent a day with Paul Garner who almost brought to life the Battles. Due to the heavy rain, elements of the roads required some repair, a task Shane took on with gusto. When we sadly had to leave Rorkes Drift Lodge, Shane and his father-in-law escorted us to the hard surface road safely. A very kind and generous gesture.
This is a fine place with a family of fine people to match.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmf30
jhb
Reviewed January 15, 2013

What a wonderful location, this place is magnificent. Great food, great accommodation, great views and overall great service - with a nice touch of a traveling pack as you left. Only negative was the shower pressure needs to be seriously looked at - but if that is all one has to complain about - book!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I come to SA every year, and each time we are rarely dissapointed, but this was our our first time to Natal and to the battlefields and being that Fugitives Drift which had been recommended was fully booked, we decided after scanning the internet we would stay at the Lodge as opposed to the Hotel, the latter we thought looked rather impersonal, and normally the guest lodges we have always stayed in have been extremely hospitable and have enjoyed getting to know the owners, but on this occasion we only met the owner Christine once and never her husband Our room was comfortable, and had faboulous views. Food was good, and well presented, but surprised we had to eat so early at 7p.m. but did manage to persuade the manager to let us move this 7.30 p.m. We departed having very much enjoyed our tour of the area, but will not be recommending this establishment, as we left to return our journey back to Cape Town I discovered at our First stop for lunch at Clarens that I had left my mobile, as I hadn't even got out of the car since our departure and remember using this phone in my room before leaving I just knew it had to be in the safety of our bedroom. As soon as I was able to locate the internet I emailed Christine, and her reply was that she never found it. On my return to the UK I emailed her again to say that it definitely had not dropped out in the car therefore had to be at the Lodge, her reply was well it must have dropped out of the car when you perhaps opened a gate from the lodge. As previous reviews have said there is a dirt track of approx 5 kms to the lodge, which if particularly wet could be difficult to negotiate but there is no gate..........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma C
christine l, Owner at Rorke's Drift Lodge, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We are indeed very sorry that Emma lost her cell phone while visiting us. However, our staff who clean the rooms are scrupulously honest and will always hand in something they find. An iphone (which is what Emma lost) is not a desirable phone for the locals to own and as we all know we are responsible for our own valuables when visiting accommodation establishments. We provide a safe in the rooms for guests to keep their valuables. Even though Emma may feel there was no reason for her to get out of the car on the way down I think she may have forgotten that at the end of our farm track there is indeed a gate where someone would have had to have got out or they could not have made it to the bottom of the track. It is my speculation that she had the phone on her lap and that it fell out of the car - something that has happened to my husband. The other note that she made about not meeting my husband is simply the fact that he works away from home and is only home over weekends and has nothing to do with the running of the Lodge. In fact, we have managers in place who take care of our guests as we are not always on the property ourselves. The fact that he wasn't available to meet them would have had very little to do with the level of service they would have received or the fact that the big attraction for guests to visit Rorke's Drift is the Rorke's Drift Battlefield - not the owners of the Lodge!
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a couple of nights here - it was an experience getting to the Lodge along the track - 4x4s or SUVs definitely recommended! However, it was well worth it when we arrived! We had a warm welcome from Chris and the views from the Lodge were spectacular. Our room was well furnished and very clean - bedroom upstairs and bathroom downstairs (reached via a spiral staircase) - with a balcony which looked over the views, although it was a bit chilly to make the most of it. The electric blanket came in handy! The breakfasts and dinners were excellent - and it was very cosy with the roaring fire in the lounge. We hired Paul Garner as our guide to show us round the battlefields and tell us the story. He picked us up straight after breakfast and was with us most of the day - he did a superb job (we were supplied with a lovely lunch by the Lodge). It was a very informative day!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in late October, in one of the cabins (not the main lodge). It was twenty metres across the grass. I had a comfortable double bed, living room with verandah (don't lean on the wires!) and bathroom. All very good except the flow of water on the shower could have been better. Great views over to Zululand and Isandlwhana: horses in the paddock. Friendly dogs in the grounds. The main lodge provides a fire in the evening with good library, honesty bar with wide selection of drinks and excellent cuisine in the evening: no choice but a three course dinner and large breakfast in the morning. Staff are very well organised to take the booking and friendly but not obtrusive. I felt like an individual and the guests all talked to each other over supper: a sign of a convivial atmosphere. It is 6 kms from the road but the track is easy if you take it slow: I had no problem in a low slung 2wd VW Polo. They found me an excellent Zulu guide Thulani with whom I spent 3 great days viewing the battlefields. I highly recommend him (but you need your own vehicle).

Room Tip: The cabin was a bit cold: needs a blow heater as well as the wall heater. I would stay in the main...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Elandsheim Retreat
Elandsheim Retreat
#1 of 1 in Elandskraal
Battlefields Country Lodge

Been to Rorke's Drift Lodge? Share your experiences!