“WONT BE RETURNING”

Rorke's Drift Lodge
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I come to SA every year, and each time we are rarely dissapointed, but this was our our first time to Natal and to the battlefields and being that Fugitives Drift which had been recommended was fully booked, we decided after scanning the internet we would stay at the Lodge as opposed to the Hotel, the latter we thought looked rather impersonal, and normally the guest lodges we have always stayed in have been extremely hospitable and have enjoyed getting to know the owners, but on this occasion we only met the owner Christine once and never her husband Our room was comfortable, and had faboulous views. Food was good, and well presented, but surprised we had to eat so early at 7p.m. but did manage to persuade the manager to let us move this 7.30 p.m. We departed having very much enjoyed our tour of the area, but will not be recommending this establishment, as we left to return our journey back to Cape Town I discovered at our First stop for lunch at Clarens that I had left my mobile, as I hadn't even got out of the car since our departure and remember using this phone in my room before leaving I just knew it had to be in the safety of our bedroom. As soon as I was able to locate the internet I emailed Christine, and her reply was that she never found it. On my return to the UK I emailed her again to say that it definitely had not dropped out in the car therefore had to be at the Lodge, her reply was well it must have dropped out of the car when you perhaps opened a gate from the lodge. As previous reviews have said there is a dirt track of approx 5 kms to the lodge, which if particularly wet could be difficult to negotiate but there is no gate..........

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma C
christine l, Owner at Rorke's Drift Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

We are indeed very sorry that Emma lost her cell phone while visiting us. However, our staff who clean the rooms are scrupulously honest and will always hand in something they find. An iphone (which is what Emma lost) is not a desirable phone for the locals to own and as we all know we are responsible for our own valuables when visiting accommodation establishments. We provide a safe in the rooms for guests to keep their valuables. Even though Emma may feel there was no reason for her to get out of the car on the way down I think she may have forgotten that at the end of our farm track there is indeed a gate where someone would have had to have got out or they could not have made it to the bottom of the track. It is my speculation that she had the phone on her lap and that it fell out of the car - something that has happened to my husband. The other note that she made about not meeting my husband is simply the fact that he works away from home and is only home over weekends and has nothing to do with the running of the Lodge. In fact, we have managers in place who take care of our guests as we are not always on the property ourselves. The fact that he wasn't available to meet them would have had very little to do with the level of service they would have received or the fact that the big attraction for guests to visit Rorke's Drift is the Rorke's Drift Battlefield - not the owners of the Lodge!

There are newer reviews for Rorke's Drift Lodge

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a couple of nights here - it was an experience getting to the Lodge along the track - 4x4s or SUVs definitely recommended! However, it was well worth it when we arrived! We had a warm welcome from Chris and the views from the Lodge were spectacular. Our room was well furnished and very clean - bedroom upstairs and bathroom downstairs (reached via a spiral staircase) - with a balcony which looked over the views, although it was a bit chilly to make the most of it. The electric blanket came in handy! The breakfasts and dinners were excellent - and it was very cosy with the roaring fire in the lounge. We hired Paul Garner as our guide to show us round the battlefields and tell us the story. He picked us up straight after breakfast and was with us most of the day - he did a superb job (we were supplied with a lovely lunch by the Lodge). It was a very informative day!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in late October, in one of the cabins (not the main lodge). It was twenty metres across the grass. I had a comfortable double bed, living room with verandah (don't lean on the wires!) and bathroom. All very good except the flow of water on the shower could have been better. Great views over to Zululand and Isandlwhana: horses in the paddock. Friendly dogs in the grounds. The main lodge provides a fire in the evening with good library, honesty bar with wide selection of drinks and excellent cuisine in the evening: no choice but a three course dinner and large breakfast in the morning. Staff are very well organised to take the booking and friendly but not obtrusive. I felt like an individual and the guests all talked to each other over supper: a sign of a convivial atmosphere. It is 6 kms from the road but the track is easy if you take it slow: I had no problem in a low slung 2wd VW Polo. They found me an excellent Zulu guide Thulani with whom I spent 3 great days viewing the battlefields. I highly recommend him (but you need your own vehicle).

Room Tip: The cabin was a bit cold: needs a blow heater as well as the wall heater. I would stay in the main...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I chose Rorke's Drift Lodge based on the many glowing reviews on Trip Advisor and had high expectations. I was slightly disappointed.

The lodge has a good location on a hill with beautiful views of the surrounding area. It is close to the Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift battlefields-- the main reason to visit this area. We toured the battlefields with Paul Garner and he did an outstanding job.

Our room (Kubili) was clean and comfortable and it has a deck with a great view. The only drawback is that the bathroom is located down a spiral staircase which isn't ideal if you have to get up during the night.

Food and service were satisfactory. We were the only guests during our three night stay and it was really too quiet for us. The lodge just didn't have much life or energy.

I had an odd experience with the owner. Her house was located about 50 meters from our room but she never said hello or checked in on us. On the evening of our third day I finally went over and introduced myself to her. She acknowledged (when I asked) that she was the owner but she still didn't ask any questions about our stay or how we were doing. I travel a lot (you can check out my other reviews) and regularly stay at small, family owned places. I have never met an owner who was as disengaged from her guests. Perhaps she was having a difficult week. I accept that the lodge was being run by her capable manager but I would still expect more from an owner-- particularly when we were the only guests staying at the lodge for three days.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MB747

We are indeed very sorry that this guest feels that his whole visit was marred by the fact that I, as the owner, did not go to greet him. I have a full time occupation aside from the Lodge and as such have Management in place who are really top notch and take care of our guests every need. My occupation is of such a nature that I do not wear suitable clothing most days and therefore do not consider myself as part of the Lodge staff who have to take care of our guests. I have to keep in mind that we are a professional accommodation establishment and therefore need to maintain certain standards for guest relations. From a personal point of view I think this guest slightly overstepped the mark in personal space as I was in my home when he insisted on coming to meet me and spent more than an hour talking to me which I found slightly disconcerting. With regard to our other guests, if it is really important to them that they meet me, if I am available I will normally go down to the Lodge at an arranged time to introduce myself.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights towards the end of a 3 week trip. This can sometimes be a bit of an anticlimax but RD was great. it was winter and we were the only guests but our hosts were welcoming, the food was great and our room, although cold was lovely - the electric blanket was just the ticket! Views are stunning, especially at sunrise. The approach road is fine - 4WD not essential; you just need to take your tim in a car. We'd go again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Fabulous views, friendly staff. Lodge is beautifully designrd and has a very authentic african feel. Food wonderful and would highly recommend the local Zulu guide for a tour of the battlefields. The lodge's lounge area had a plethora of books about the area's history which were very interesting. Local craft shop well worth a visit and supports local area.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Stonebo
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Spent 3 nights here and were the only guests,so had the place to ourselves.Stayed in the tower which was great,especially the electric blanket for cuddling up when the night became chilly after the sun set.Service and local food really good,we even had our table moved in front of the open fire one evening-perfect!
Location is superb with wonderful views and the horse riding is excellent with the owner.The dogs add great character.
Paul for the Isandwana/Rorke's Drift tour is excellent-really brings things to life.
One tip-make sure that you have a car capable of getting there-if the weather turns then be warned re the last 20kms of road esp the last bit-which we found great fun especially with the animals in the dark!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Elandsheim Retreat
Elandsheim Retreat
#1 of 1 in Elandskraal
Chez Nous Bed and Breakfast

Been to Rorke's Drift Lodge? Share your experiences!