Rorke's Drift Hotel
Elandsheim Retreat(Elandskraal)
  • Free Internet
Penryn B&B(Dundee)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe riveran excellent hostmain buildingking shakahotel is situatedzulu warsperfect locationtwo nightswell stocked barstunning viewsthis lovely hotelmine hostbattlefield guidethatched roofother guestsfantastic staysurrounding countryside
Reviewed February 10, 2012

The regret is that we didnt stay longer! The roads are challenging to get there but once there the place is worth the trial. I walked up to Rorkes Drift from the hotel and had a good look round as I had a good knowledge about the battle and the following day had a look round Isandlwana also. I didnt use the guides as time was short.

The hotel staff we met were very hospitable and friendly. The public spaces are well laid out and comfortable with some magnificent views. Bedrooms were large and well furnished. The bed was huge and I had a good nights sleep.

The evening meal and breakfast were both good quality and other guests and staff helped make a pleasant dinner experience.

Charles, John and Heather work really hard but I think their charm and friendliness is natural and I have no hesitation to recommend this to anyone. I do hope to stay again and as soon as I can!

Reviewed February 9, 2012

This place is a real gem. The accommodation is superb, the food is fantastic and John and Heather instantly made me feel welcome. Everything about the place just made me feel at home - and what a home! This is affordable luxury on a big scale.
Right next door to Rorke's Drift mission and on the Buffalo River. Just a short hop to Isandalwana. But not just for historians - the countryside is beautiful and John and Heather will organise riverside walks were there's lots of wildlife.
This place deserves 5 stars ... and I've been to lots of 5 stars so I know.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. John, Heather and Charles are 3 of the warmest hosts we have come across.

We thoroughly recommend the full day tour of the battle field and Ianda (not sure if that is how he spells his name) brought the story to life through his passion and knowledge.

We would put ourselves down for longer than 2 nights next time as there is so much to see and do.

John's river walk was great and the pre breakfast breakfast to see us through it was appreciated greatly.

All in all a place to relax, explore and feel as if you are amongst friends that you have known for years.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Had a wonderful drive from Thula Thula and arrived to a wonderful welcome and astounding views.

Charles, along with John and Heather and staff made us feel very much at home and we appreciated the time they spent with us, guiding us, with their vast knowledge of this historic place.
Thulani was our guide to the battlefields and his passion and expert knowledge made for a very lively and engaging day. (I must admit from a woman's point of view I was not as interested as my husband before we booked but from the minute we arrived I was enthralled by the landscape, history and the whole atmosphere it created which made for an unforgettable few days).

King Shaka's suite was wonderful with fantastic views over the Buffalo River which changed every morning
Food, Drinks and hospitality were excellent and you would go a long way to get the friendly,personal service we received during our stay.
Charles - good luck with the future expansion - You certainly have a recipe for succes which you rightly deserve.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

You've braved the dirt roads to get here, unpacked, showered and are now sitting on the veranda with a glass of wine, looking at the sun setting over the Buffalo River - it's just stunning!

The hotel consists of two doughnut-shaped 'forts', one for accommodation, the other is the bar, lounge and dining room. Every window has magnificent views, mainly concentrating on the river. After drinks on the veranda, dining to the accompaniment of an inevitable thunderstorm just adds to the atmosphere.

We spent three nights here so that we could visit some of the battlefield locations - Rorke's Drift is minutes away, Isandlwana is 20 km. We were able to visit both with a local Zulu guide arranged by the hotel who brings it all to life. We also did a conducted walk along the river - a contrasting experience to the battlefields.

Note that the hotel has only been opened a short time and some of the local staff are still finding their way - but this adds to the sense of being made to feel welcome here, you feel as though you are involved in the project.

1  Thank DrBob49