I have been interested in the battles of this area since childhood. The interpretive guides employed by the lodge brought all aspects of these battles and the events leading up to them alive and tell them in a way that no book or movie can compete with. If you are interested in this part of history, you must take the time to visit and stay at Fugitives Drift Lodge. Even without the excellent location and guides, the stay is well worth it. Beautifully decorated and equipped chalets, excellent dining, and a friendly relaxed atmosphere from the entire staff and fellow guests. I especially loved the stunning views from the veranda of the Harford Library where lunch is served daily to the friendly relaxed atmosphere of the main dining room where meals went on long after the food had been consumed, but the conversation had not ended. After a nice nights sleep in comfortable beds you are woken with a pot of hot coffee or tea delivered at a time you chose based on your schedule. I think I might go again, just to redo the tours and enjoy the atmosphere. As a solo traveller, I would have been the odd-man out but was welcomed and included by both staff and other guests at all times.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fugitives' Drift Lodge, established by David and Nicky Rattray 26 years ago, now run by Nicky and her sons Andrew and Douglas, has become world famous for the passionate stories, delivered by our resident lecturers, given on the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War. Our flagship tours, conducted daily, are to the battlefields of Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. The Lodge and Guest House both feature luxury accommodation with pools, horse riding and fantastic game walks through this remarkable terrain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Fugitive's Drift Lodge and Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fugitive`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Fugitive's Drift Lodge And Guest House South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal