“Interesting and fun place to stay”

Fugitive's Drift Lodge and Guest House
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting and fun place to stay”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a great little guesthouse hidden away in the mountains, upon arrival you drive up the long drive and have the opportunity to spot giraffes and kudu!
The staff are all very welcoming and friendly and sit and eat with the guests for lunch and dinner.
The guest houses are spacious and clean, the food is really tasty, each meal is eaten on a long table with all the other current guests and staff members so be prepared to be social, this can be annoying when your want your own space but it's all part of the fun as you make new friends and can share stories from the day.

The trips that the guesthouse provides are an extra cost, which is very expensive but they are fantastic, the guys who run the tours are brilliant storytellers and bring the story to life! Also there are some brilliant mountain bike tracks to try out at an additional cost.

There is no need to stay here any longer than two nights as you will run out of things to do.

This is a great place to stay during your exploration of South Africa to learn some interesting history! BUT if you have children this is not the place to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BubbleandSqueak_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Cape Town
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent a few days at Fugitive's Drift last month.
We stayed at the guesthouse which isn't very luxurious but nice enough.
The room was comfortable and the food was above average.
But the tours!!!
They were put together so so well. The guides were amongst the best I have had in the world.
They painted a compelling narrative of the events at Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana and made it come alive for each of us.
It was haunting, moving and so interesting.
Whether you're into history or not, these tours are worth every penny.
They changed my perspective of the history of KZN, the British soldiers and the Zulu warriors.
My only regret is that I didn't go sooner!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

All I want to say has already been said. What a fantastic place. The hosts are most welcoming and all the staff are friendly. We had two rooms (7 and 8) both had great views. Having arrived a little later than expected we did the tours in the wrong order but I don't think it's that important. Both are very interesting and moving. Alastair's tour of Rorke's Drift was great, he really brought the scene to life. Andrew's tour of Isandlwana was also interesting but I have a huge apology to make to Andrew. After a bit of a tour in the Land Rover and looking at the sights we settled down in chairs under a tree to hear more of the fabulous story telling. Andrew spoke so beautifully and brought the whole thing to life that I shut my eyes to capture the moment. My eyes stayed shut for just a little bit too long and I was sound asleep when every one turned to look at 'that hill'. My husband had to really shake me to wake me. OMG how embarrassing and Andrew if you did notice and are reading my review, I'm truly sorry. My only excuse is that I was taking antibiotics which made me sleepy. You were not boring me I promise. At least I didn't snore!!! Drinks round the fire pit after a day out is most welcome and to join other guests is also very nice. You eat dinner at one big table like a family. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Fugitive's Drift and would like to return to sample the other tours available.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent three days a Fugitives Drift enjoying the battlefield educational experience in an environment of wonderful hospitality, enjoyable food and comfortable accommodation. The battlefield tours are not only an education with a focus on military tactics, but a richly woven tale of human experience that takes the listener on an emotional journey. The passion and the knowledge of the guides is truly a privilege to experience - thank you to both Andrew and Mphiwe. Dinners and breafasts in the dining room were a time to interact with other guests and enjoy the warm fire and friendly hospitality of the staff. Lunches were hosted in the fairly new library with its fantastic views over the Buffalo river with Isandhlwana in the background - a spectacular African landscape. This is such a unique experience that it is difficult to do the stay justice in a review, except to say that it is highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family cottage at the Lodge, the two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and lounge area worked r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A stay and the accompanying tours at Fugitives Drift have been on our list of things to do for some time so it was with great excitement that I finally made a booking for our family visit. Right from the start the service was impeccable. Booking enquiries were answers promptly as were the many other queries I had about the area. For a change I had no trouble with the fact that I have 3 children (something which most accommodation makes you regret as everything is based on 2 adults, 2 kids). On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were very accommodating to last minute requests. The property and grounds are beautiful and the rooms well appointed and luxurious. The food was outstanding and generous.

Given our limited time, we committed to doing both the Isandlwana and Rouke's Drift tours in 1 day. We were also able to take all 3 of our children as there were no other guests booked on the tours (my kids are 11,11 and 8 and there is usually a 12 age restriction). I was concerned that the tours would be too long for the kids but my fears were soon alleviated. The kids and adults alike were completely enthralled and the time flew by. The guides were brilliant - real story tellers - and the scenery magnificent.

Overall, something everyone should have at the top of their to do list is visit Fugitives Drift.

• Stayed June 2013
Ladismith
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's been a year in writing this review, but the memory of Fugitive's Drift and the Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift Tour remains! The Zulu guide's story telling so real and graphic that the horror of the battles remain vivid in my memory. We were all spellbound.
Sundowners around the fire and dinner hosted by Nicky Rattray were special events. What a interesting, brave and beautiful person.
A definite 'must do' and do stay for at least 3 nights.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ladilady
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Fugitive's Drift Lodge is an ideal centre for visiting the battlefields of the Zulu Wars. The Lodge's villa rooms are excellent, each with stunning views. The food too is excellent and all the staff are very helpful and attentive. The conducted tours of the battlefields at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift are well worth taking, each lasting about half a day. We were taken to Isandlwana by a Zulu whose grandfather had fought in the battle. The exploits at Rorke's Drift were even more amazing than those portrayed in the film 'Zulu'. The battle was fought in such a small space not much bigger than a football pitch.
Fugitive's Drift is named to honour the memory of two British officers who tried to save the Queen's colours after the British defeat at Isandlwana. There is a memorial to the soldiers where they were killed not far from the site of the main lodge. A walk down to the memorial through the game reserve surrounding the Lodge - no really dangerous animals - is well worth doing.
This was our second visit to the Lodge and we would certainly recommend a visit.

• Stayed May 2013
Battlefields Country Lodge
Elandsheim Retreat
Elandsheim Retreat
#1 of 1 in Elandskraal

Been to Fugitive's Drift Lodge and Guest House? Share your experiences!