My partner and I stayed at Fugitive's Drift Lodge in February, at the suggestion of friends. We went to experience something of the history of South Africa, about which we know little. The battlefield tours were outstanding, the one of Isandlwana all the more so for having a Zulu guide. Our room was very comfortable and the food was mostly of a high standard. All meals are taken round large tables with guests dining together. This can be a mixed blessing, depending who your fellow guests happen to be! Lunch is on balcony of the library, set up the hill slightly away from the Lodge, which has absolutely stunning views across the valley and river. The communal parts of the Lodge were a mixed bag. We arrived just after a major electrical storm during which lightening had apparently struck the swimming pool. This had made the water very murky and uninviting, to the point that we didn't see anyone in the pool during the whole of our stay - surprising given that the temperature was in the mid 30s Centigrade!! We never quite got to the bottom of why the water in the pool had not simply been replaced. At the height of a South African summer, this was a big disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fugitives' Drift Lodge, established by David and Nicky Rattray 26 years ago, now run by Nicky and her sons Andrew and Douglas, has become world famous for the passionate stories, delivered by our resident lecturers, given on the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War. Our flagship tours, conducted daily, are to the battlefields of Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. The Lodge and Guest House both feature luxury accommodation with pools, horse riding and fantastic game walks through this remarkable terrain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Fugitive's Drift Lodge and Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fugitive`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Fugitive's Drift Lodge And Guest House South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal