We had heard about Fugitive's Drift ..forever! And so we decided to visit. WE were not disappointed. We stayed at The Guest House, just nearby The Lodge..and having visited the Lodge I preferred the openness of the Guest House. The rooms have their own verandas and look out across country towards Isandlwana. The host here is Charl. A charming man who puts you at your ease, the meals are eaten around a big table and they are WONDERFUL! The best cooking we had during our stay.Everyone conncted with Fugitive's Drift is steeped in the local history, the photos on the walls echo the Anglo Zulu wars, the artifacts decorate the rooms and fit in with the ambience. The tours are excellent. We had Andrew Rattray tell us the story at Rorkes Drift. He was so clear and held us all spellbound. The small size of the actual ground 135 men defended was extra ordinary..speaking as someone who only has Michael Caine's version to go on! We had the added joy of meeting 3 students on a gap year working and learning the ropes of Fugitives Drift. One youngman led a walk in the evening that took us to the spot where the fugitives from Isandlwana escaped towards Rorkes Drift and the graves of the two soldiers who tried to save the Queens Colours. Isandlwana is quite a different story, a wide and open battlefield, with white cairns denoting mass graves.
We throughly enjoyed our stay here, from the early morning tea, to the beautiful breakfasts, the succulent lunches and the sumptious candlelit dinners. Fabulous memories and easy to reach from Nambiti Game reserve where we had just come from. Highly recommended
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fugitives' Drift Lodge, established by David and Nicky Rattray 26 years ago, now run by Nicky and her sons Andrew and Douglas, has become world famous for the passionate stories, delivered by our resident lecturers, given on the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War. Our flagship tours, conducted daily, are to the battlefields of Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. The Lodge and Guest House both feature luxury accommodation with pools, horse riding and fantastic game walks through this remarkable terrain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Fugitive's Drift Lodge and Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fugitive`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Fugitive's Drift Lodge And Guest House South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal