We tagged three nights in Fugitives Drift on to a visit to the Garden route. That meant driving to Port. Elizabeth , flying into Durban, staying a night and then driving to FD. South Africa is a big places and FD is right out in the country. We arrived and were welcomed to our room which was fine, large and comfortable and gave the feeling of being on a rural station. Each evening we gathered for drinks around a wood fire under the stars. Dinner followed and was excellent as with all the meals there. We did the walk to the graves of Coghill etc., a wildlife walk to see giraffe up close and the tours to Isandlhwana and Rorke's Drift. They were all very good, but the Zulu guide to Isandlhwana was just superb. His presentation was poetry. Not only a description of the battle, but a performance event in itself. Because the British dead were hastily buried under cairns which are still on the field the whole story of the battle is displayed before you. Then, back at the hotel we persuaded Grace to sing a Zulu hymn which was absolutely magical.
There are few holiday experiences that you will remember for ever and this is one of them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fugitives' Drift Lodge, established by David and Nicky Rattray 26 years ago, now run by Nicky and her sons Andrew and Douglas, has become world famous for the passionate stories, delivered by our resident lecturers, given on the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War. Our flagship tours, conducted daily, are to the battlefields of Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. The Lodge and Guest House both feature luxury accommodation with pools, horse riding and fantastic game walks through this remarkable terrain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Fugitive's Drift Lodge and Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fugitive`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Fugitive's Drift Lodge And Guest House South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal