“A very special place”

Okahirongo Elephant Lodge
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This very remote lodge belongs in an extra special category. It was not just the lodge, which is gorgeous, but the whole experience. The setting at the foot of a mountain looking out across desert and dunes to another mountain backdrop was one of the most beautiful settings of any lodge I've been to. The rooms are beautifully decorated and what a view from the free standing bath tub. The veranda, off of the bedroom, is a great place to pass time or even sleep at night when it is hot. The staff were excellent--very friendly and always ready to be of service. When returning from a morning game drive, the rooibos iced tea was perfect. Evening drives ended on a high location for our sundowner. We were fortunate to have great sightings of the desert adapted elephants, giraffes, and black rhinos with our guide Pollen. At night it was magical sitting around the fire pit with the most beautiful sky. We felt priviledged to be a part of this.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank junglejudi

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This spot is absolutely gorgeous! amazing location, awesome food and the most friendlies staff and manager!Thank you guys! I had the best time ever. I hope to be able to see you all again very soon ;-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sarah n
Reviewed April 28, 2013

It is hard to find a better place: great location -- the view is splendid, great architecture -- all natural colors and very eco-friendly, very welcoming and charming people and plenty to do and see. We were really sorry to leave... The food is great too, the rooms comfortable (the shower was weak, something the owner told us he will fix with a new pump) the swimming pool inviting...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Philippe47
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wonderful place, remote setting - hard to imagine how they got such a nice lodge up and running. Setting surreal especially if you fly in and have the lodge all to yourselves as we did. Really good hosts, solid food and guides & staff knowledgeable and friendly

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NamBDJ
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The lodge in on a small hill so you have a feeling of 'great space' all around. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed every minute. The food has the Italian touch to it and so does the stylish way it is furnished. Everything tells you there is the attention to detail. We were taken on excursions on both days (day time and sun down excursions) accompanied by a very friendly and prepared guide. We even saw the rare Rhino!!
On returning to the lodge after the safaris, the lovely christal clear blue swimming pool is there to
refresh you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Natasha L
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here with a safari group--it was our first lodge and at the time I didn't have any basis for comparison. Looking back--it was remarkable. The rooms were comfortable--lamps made of porcupine quills and kudu antlers for door handles. I loved the day bed where you could watch the wildlife. The food was wonderful and the art and furnishings the best of our trip. I only wish I could have had an extra day to drink coffee and lounge by the pool. Best lodge of our three week trip, though there were other places with more wildlife. Our Landrovers were great--good guides

Room Tip: all the rooms face the desert--didn't see much difference
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank garlec
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This lodge was phenomenal. I loved my room (particularly the day bed), the lodge, the pool, the view, great staff, THE FOOD – pretty much everything really. As it happened, I was the only guest staying the first night I was there, and I had the most wonderful meal (roasted oryx that was as tender as the best fillet steak I have ever had) with the manager and one of the owners – a great experience. My guide there, Pollen, was absolutely brilliant – so flexible, and happy to work on a plan of activities that encompassed everything I was interested in – I can’t speak too highly of him. The two days I spent here were a bit more relaxing than other stays in my travels in Namibia - even the excursions were very relaxed, and included drives up the river bed in a successful search for desert elephant, visits to a Himba village and to a lovely look out over the Skeleton Coast. For a three to four day stay, there is certainly plenty to see and do, and I saw a surprising amount of game, including desert elephant, giraffe and mountain zebra. Did I mention THE FOOD? It was sensational (they even made me my favourite coconut ice cream). I loved my whole stay here!

Room Tip: All the rooms have the same wonderful view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank vibuck

Been to Okahirongo Elephant Lodge? Share your experiences!