“The definition of pure amazingness”

Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers
Ranked #1 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Kilifi
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This place is simply the hidden treasure on the Kenyan coast. There is no word to describe fully how beautiful, charming and perfect this lodge is. The beauty of the place, the people and the nature is mesmerizing. The only bad side of this place is how difficult it is to leave this awesome universe.
People usually say "there is no place like home", I would say: "there is no place like Distant Relatives".

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank YoanMari

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place is the kind that you want to tell your friends about, because you want them to support this amazing idea and have an incredible experience.. but the kind of place you also don't want to tell ANYONE about because you want to keep it alllll to yourself - it's just that special. The mindset and spirit of the place is welcoming and inspiring. The creek is a short walk, the pool is fresh and clean, the food is phenomenal and affordable, the service is thoughtful, and the people. Ohh the people. They make saying good bye way too hard. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've been coming to Kilifi for over a decade, and know Coast Province well... Distant Relatives is truly a one-of-a-kind place, they're bringing new life to town, and it can't be missed. I've been a few times -- for awesome dinners, fun social events, and also a lavish meal for a group of important business partners; each time they exceeded expectations, and I will return as much as possible. Their food is simply awesome... from all-you-can-eat pizza night, to big banquets with an endless number of fresh dishes... and it's priced far below the other hotels and restaurants that don't come close on quality. Their place is really nice -- huge comfy lounge area and bar, lovely patio overlooking pool and garden, and the coolest eco-toilets and showers you'll ever see (I haven't stayed in a room yet, but next time I come to Kilifi I plan to stay with them). They organize all sorts of fun events, and can help you explore everything else in town. It all boils down to great management... so many resorts around here are run by lackluster drones that couldn't care less, but not here -- Tom and Romain clearly have a passion, and they've built a great culture and team that goes above and beyond to make every guest feel welcome and happy. My guess is TripAdvisor wonders if all these stellar reviews can be genuine, but I have no doubt: This is a special place, Kilifi has been waiting a long time for something like this, and it's impossible not to have a great time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tevis H
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Distant Relatives lives up to its name! You feel you are staying with family, the good kind! They are amazingly friendly, and the place is great. They have really put their best efford into making a place with love and care. So beautiful, great food and eco-friendly. There is a beautiful "private" beach, a pool, comfy sleeping areas and a great atmousphere. I would go back today if I had the chance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank stine_travel
Reviewed June 3, 2013

There is no reason not to go here, everything is simply great!! The surroundings are stunning, idyllic, quiet; the people are so, so nice and kind; the place itself is beautiful; there is a pool and it is very close to the creek/beach as well; the atmosphere is very relaxing; the rooms and dorms are great; the 'eco' is commendable; et cetera... In short, we have had an amazing stay here and will definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The only fault I found with my stay at Distant Relatives, is that my time there flew by too quickly.

It's an absolutely fantastic place, run by the two most enthusiastic and friendly guys you'd ever wish to meet! Romain and Tom are two people, who through determination and hard work have created one of the most amazing places to stay on the Kenyan cost. The quality of service surprises you at every turn, the accommodation is comfortable and the approach to eco-friendliness is moving (and remarkably beautiful at the same time! see: bamboo showers)

The people are friendly, the scenery is beautiful, the amenities are abundant and the Jaegermeister flows openly :-) I'm not the type to dictate to you how my holiday went, but I can say, it was one of my best.

I must make special mention to the food there. Although I have not traveled as extensively as a lot of people I know, I've certainly been to a fair number of places, and I can say with conviction that the food served up there is on par with the best. Watch out for the chefs gnocchi, that stuff is, to quote some lingo I've picked up recently, the 'bomb diggity'.

Although, my stay was fantastic, there are a lot of improvements to be made. As a visitor and as a friend, when I return I expect the bar to be raised.

If not, they're in for a scathing follow up review. :-D

Room Tip: Get the double room! Its amazing!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lasse M
Reviewed April 19, 2013

It is just outside the town and in a secluded spot, makes you feel like you are in the middle of the bush. We stayed in a double room which was nice and clean, comfortable beds and good showers. The food is very very good, the best in Kilifi. The vegetable lasagne is particularly good. Rosie is extremely helpful, speak to her to ask about what trips etc you can do. All in all a good place to stay and I think that it will just keep getting better and better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Travelers also viewed these Kilifi hotels
Mnarani Club & Spa
Silver Palm Spa and Resort
Baobab Sea Lodge
Baobab Sea Lodge
#6 of 6 in Kilifi

Been to Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers

Address: Seahorse Road | After crossing the Kilifi bridge, you'll drive past Tusky's supermarket on your right. Further down the road, turn left when you see the sign "Makuti Villas" as well our sign “Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers”. Follow the signs from there - we are located about 2.5km down this dirt road., Kilifi 80108, Kenya
Location: Kenya > Coast Province > Kilifi
Bar / Lounge Beach Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Ski-In / Ski-Out Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Kilifi
Price Range: $26 - $65 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers 3*
Nestled between the Giriama village of Fumbini and the beautiful emerald waters of Kilifi Creek, Distant Relatives is both a message of optimism and an experimental model of environmentally and socially conscious living. Adventurers from around the world gather here to share tales of the road, mingle with the local community, and enjoy the beautiful ocean views and sunsets that Kenya has to offer. In just one hour's drive from either Mombasa or Malindi you could be joining us for reef snorkeling trips, moonlit dhow sailing, village walks and beach bonfires, wild cliff adventures, and various live music events. Distant Relatives is a new and unique ecolodge, hostel and backpackers, and an exceptional budget-friendly alternative to the classic hotels and resorts of the Kenyan Coast. Our accommodation options include camping, dormitories, safari tents, private rooms and beautifully designed ensuite bandas with their own charming private courtyards. Our kitchen serves some of the most delicious, mouth-watering and reasonably priced food on the coast. Wake up to the smell of local Kenyan coffee and go to bed after a full plate of fresh seafood pasta, grilled seasonal vegetables, or some of our signature Friday all-you-can-eat pizzas and free oysters! At Distant Relatives, our philosophy has always been to work around nature, rather than making nature work around us. For us, caring for the environment and supporting our community will always be a priority and a passion, and we are happy that such efforts have led to our recent certification by Ecotourism Kenya. Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers is staffed by a few travellers and a lot of locals ready with the best advice for your East African trip. In the spirit of Kenya's tradition of generous hospitality, we look forward to welcoming you to our humble coastal shamba and making your stay in Kilifi the most memorable time you've had in East Africa! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Distant Relatives Ecolodge & Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.